[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] DOS "nroff"

ldstern@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Larry Stern) (03/27/91)

Please excuse me if this is a FAQ or in the wrong newsgroup, but where can I
find a DOS version of nroff?

					    Thanks, Larry Stern

--

Larry Stern                                  LDSTERN@RODAN.ACS.SYR.EDU

andy@mks.com (Andy Toy) (03/27/91)

If you are looking for commercial software then MKS sells SoftQuad
Publishing Software, a troff/nroff clone.  Send mail to
inquiry@mks.com for more information.
--
Andy Toy, Department of Computing Services, Extension 31, second floor annex

Bill Smargiassi <WXS103@psuvm.psu.edu> (03/27/91)

If you want a FREE version of nroff, like I assume you do, ftp to
wuarchive.wustl.edu (yes, it's up, I just got perl from it) and look
under the directory mirrors/msdos/txtutl.  There are 3 versions:
NROFF1.ZIP, PROFF.ZIP and PCROFF.ZIP.  I'm using pcroff now.  I tried
proff and for some reason didn't like it.  Nroff1 is on my disk now.
It accepts arguements to macros (pcroff doesn't) so, I'm going to
look at it seriously.  However, it doesn't support italics so I'm going
to have to patch the source.

Bill

dtb@adpplz.UUCP (Tom Beach) (03/29/91)

In article <1991Mar26.200752.14104@rodan.acs.syr.edu>, ldstern@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Larry Stern) writes:
> Please excuse me if this is a FAQ or in the wrong newsgroup, but where can I
> find a DOS version of nroff?

I know of 2. Both commercial products. Elan software makes one called
nroff/PC. It lists for about $95 and is only nroff, the tbl and eqn
preprocessors, the man and mm macro packages.
MKS systems also has a package called MDQS or something very similar.
It contains both nroff and troff as well as the eqn and table preprocessors
and macro packages. MKS systems also has a LAserJet driver and a postscript
driver for their troff clone. The MKS package runs ~$500 for the  basic
nroff/troff and I don't remember the laser printer driver prices but
~$295??

Tom Beach

grover@big-joe.cs.unlv.edu (Kevin Grover) (03/30/91)

In article <641@adphdw20.UUCP>, dtb@adpplz.UUCP (Tom Beach) writes:
) > Please excuse me if this is a FAQ or in the wrong newsgroup, but where can I
) > find a DOS version of nroff?
) >
) I know of 2. Both commercial products. Elan software makes one called
) nroff/PC. It lists for about $95 and is only nroff, the tbl and eqn
) preprocessors, the man and mm macro packages.
) MKS systems also has a package called MDQS or something very similar.
) It contains both nroff and troff as well as the eqn and table preprocessors
) and macro packages. MKS systems also has a LAserJet driver and a postscript
) driver for their troff clone. The MKS package runs ~$500 for the  basic
) nroff/troff and I don't remember the laser printer driver prices but
) ~$295??
)
) Tom Beach

Look on SIMTEL for a program called NRO (with the version number behind it.)
It as the man package.  I'm not sure about anything else.  It works nicely,
and it free.

--
  +-------------------------------------------------+----------------------+
  | Kevin Grover             UNLV Computer Science  |     Home of the      |

av@kielo.uta.fi (Arto V. Viitanen) (04/02/91)

Kevin> In article <641@adphdw20.UUCP>, dtb@adpplz.UUCP (Tom Beach) writes:
Kevin> ) > Please excuse me if this is a FAQ or in the wrong newsgroup, but where can I
Kevin> ) > find a DOS version of nroff?
Kevin> ) >
Kevin> Look on SIMTEL for a program called NRO (with the version number behind it.)
Kevin> It as the man package.  I'm not sure about anything else.  It works nicely,
Kevin> and it free.

Also free is GNU's groff, C++ implementation of troff (and tbl, pic, eqn,..).
It supports PostScript, dvi (TeX) and text output. Only catch is, you need
386 and 387 (or 486) and DJ's implementation of GNU C++ (posted at
comp.binaries.ibm.pc).  Groff is on GNU ftp sites.

--
Arto V. Viitanen				         email: av@kielo.uta.fi
University Of Tampere,				   	    av@ohdake.cs.uta.fi

matloff@gandalf.Berkeley.EDU (Norman Matloff) (04/04/91)

In article <AV.91Apr2101727@kielo.uta.fi> av@uta.fi (Arto V. Viitanen) writes:

>Also free is GNU's groff, C++ implementation of troff (and tbl, pic, eqn,..).
>It supports PostScript, dvi (TeX) and text output. Only catch is, you need
>386 and 387 (or 486)

Doing a quick grep on the source code, I couldn't find any variables of
type float.  Are you sure f.p. hardware is needed?

>and DJ's implementation of GNU C++ (posted at
>comp.binaries.ibm.pc).

Does groff work in a DOS environment too?  Apparently C++ does.  Has
anyone actually tried it out, or know of such a thing?

   Norm