[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d

ccfac@nt.sait.edu.au (01/11/91)

In article <2165@shodha.enet.dec.com>, b_egan@levers.enet.dec.com (Bob Egan) writes:

> What is the standard file type used in Deluxe-paint and Paintbrush.

For Deluxe-paint, it is *.IFF format
For Paintbrush, it is *.PCX format
To find out more of the nitty gritty of these format, you can probably
download some document files explaining about the format from SIMTEL-20
in a dos directory called graphics

> Are there MD-DOS converters say to GIF so I can then convert them
> to Postscript ?

The best one I've seen is Graphic Workshop (currently version 4.8)
Filename is GRAFWK48.ZIP in graphics directory in SIMTEL-20

> To I have to pre-process the color image (if drawn in color) before
> converting GIF to postscript (my laser printer is B&W only)

Graphic Workshop have some very nice dithering function to convert colors
to nice black and white shades.

> btw..I have a gif to postscript *.exe for VMS if someone needs it.
>
> thanks,

You're most welcome.

Francis Chan
CCFAC@SAIT.EDU.AU       Francis Chan
University of South Australia

ccfac@nt.sait.edu.au (04/04/91)

>      I am looking for suggestion on a Sound Card.  Price range is around
> $100-150.  Basically the sound card I'm looking for must have a game port and
> must be able to support at least 11 voices with a built in amp and volume
> control.  I would greatly appreciate your suggestions.  Sorry in advance if
> this the wrong News group.  Please in send e-mail .

The above description fits the Creative Labs SoundBlaster.  I think it fits
in the price range as well.  SoundBlaster is Adlib compatible, have joystick
port, volume control, and sampler.  I have just purchased one and I'm quite
impressed with it.  Would have liked a MT-32 or better, but then the price
range for those are beyond me.

Cheers
Francis