[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Wuarchive is not mirroring!

am42+@andrew.cmu.edu (Alexander Paul Morris) (04/04/91)

Does anyone know why the Wuarchive SIMTEL20 mirrors have not been updated
recently?  I thought they used to be updated every day.  I have files I
want off of SIMTEL that have been there for over a weeks and are still not
on wuarchive!

    Alexander Morris                  "People die, things change...
    Carnegie Mellon                             It's sad."

s907396@minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au (Miramar) (04/04/91)

am42+@andrew.cmu.edu (Alexander Paul Morris) writes:

>Does anyone know why the Wuarchive SIMTEL20 mirrors have not been updated
>recently?  I thought they used to be updated every day.  I have files I
>want off of SIMTEL that have been there for over a weeks and are still not
>on wuarchive!

Wuarchive recently had a disk crash on one of their largest drives and
unfortunately this is also where most or all of the MSDOS stuff were kept.
They are probly busy fixing the drive now so expect some delay while their
backlog is cleared.

For the information of US users, are there any other sites in the US that
mirrors simtel20? And for aussie users, deakin mirrors simtel20 and garbo
so help lighten the load on our links to the US and use deakin.

--
-----/ _ _ \--------------------------------------------------------------------
     \  ^  /                 eugene@pogo.ai.mit.edu       (USA)
------\ o /---------------------------------------------------------------------

dale@cec2.wustl.edu (Dale Frye) (04/05/91)

In article <EbyhsLy00WB4AGzV95@andrew.cmu.edu> am42+@andrew.cmu.edu (Alexander Paul Morris) writes:
>Does anyone know why the Wuarchive SIMTEL20 mirrors have not been updated
>recently?  I thought they used to be updated every day.  I have files I
>want off of SIMTEL that have been there for over a weeks and are still not
>on wuarchive!

Wuarchive was down for a while with a bad drive. It's back up and catching
up with simtel. The main problem is the link to simtel is 56K baud and
it's a very busy link. I talked to Chris Myers (sys manager for wuarchive)
yesterday and he said they had made some improvements to get the updates
faster but that it still could take several days to finish. Basically the
more bandwidth wuarchive can get to simtel the faster the update will go.
I'm waiting for several programs to show up so I'll keep on top of the
update progress.

Dale Frye
Washington University in St. Louis

dale@cec2.wustl.edu (Dale Frye) (04/06/91)

In article <1991Apr4.131225.19910@minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au> s907396@minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au (Miramar) writes:
>am42+@andrew.cmu.edu (Alexander Paul Morris) writes:
>
>>Does anyone know why the Wuarchive SIMTEL20 mirrors have not been updated
>>recently?  I thought they used to be updated every day.  I have files I
>>want off of SIMTEL that have been there for over a weeks and are still not
>>on wuarchive!
>
>Wuarchive recently had a disk crash on one of their largest drives and
>unfortunately this is also where most or all of the MSDOS stuff were kept.
>They are probly busy fixing the drive now so expect some delay while their
>backlog is cleared.

Just talked to Chris Myers (sys op for wuarchive), he said they have started
updating wuarchive from another mirror site. The update should be about done.
The files I'm looking for have arrived (Kermit 3.10). The reason for the
delay was due to the channel to simtel. It is a 56k line that is very busy.
Wuarchive should be fairly up to date now and back on it's regular update
schedule.

I highly recommend mounting wuarchive via NFS. It's so much easier to use.

wuarchive.wustl.edu             128.252.135.4

NFS mounts
/archives
/archives/mirrors          (where simtel is mirrored)