[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Stevie

saroff@jvncf.UUCP (Steve Saroff lac00001) (08/31/89)

I recently got the sources, including make files for Stevie off
the net.  However, I am having the devil's own time getting it
compile on my PC.  Looking at the Make files it has, it looks as
though the sucker was supposed to be compiled via Microsoft C, which
I don't have.  I have Turbo C, any suggestions about how to user it?

dmt@mtunb.ATT.COM (Dave Tutelman) (08/31/89)

In article <552@jvncf.UUCP> saroff@jvncf.csc.org.UUCP (Steve Saroff lac00001) writes:
>I recently got the sources, including make files for Stevie off
>the net.  However, I am having the devil's own time getting it
>compile on my PC.  Looking at the Make files it has, it looks as
>though the sucker was supposed to be compiled via Microsoft C...
	Good guess.

>I have Turbo C, any suggestions about how to user it?
	I ported it to Turbo C.  Only took about an hour.  Runs fine.

	I'll be glad to send (or post, if enough interest), but try
	porting it yourself first.  It may take less time to port it
	yourself, because I'm only going to be sending the changes.
	The port isn't hard; most of it is rewriting the makefiles.
	You can get everything you need out of the command-line (TCC)
	section of the Turbo C Reference Manual.

|    Dave Tutelman						|
|    Physical - AT&T Bell Labs  -  Middletown, NJ		|
|    Logical -  ...att!mtunb!dmt				|
|    Audible -  (201) 957 6583					|

delaunay@irisa.fr (Ch. Delaunay) (08/31/89)

In article <552@jvncf.UUCP> saroff@jvncf.csc.org.UUCP (Steve Saroff lac00001) writes:
>I recently got the sources, including make files for Stevie off
>the net.  However, I am having the devil's own time getting it
>compile on my PC.  Looking at the Make files it has, it looks as
>though the sucker was supposed to be compiled via Microsoft C, which
>I don't have.  I have Turbo C, any suggestions about how to user it?

     Hi!  I also use turboc version 1.5 and I also would like to use
stevie.  Can anyone give me the correct options to compile it please?

     Many thanks in advance!

     Christophe Delaunay.
e-mail: "delaunay@irisa.irisa.fr" or
"...!<atlantic ocean>!mcvax!irisa!delaunay"

mlord@bmers58.UUCP (Mark Lord) (09/01/89)

In article <552@jvncf.UUCP> saroff@jvncf.csc.org.UUCP (Steve Saroff lac00001) writes:
>I recently got the sources, including make files for Stevie off
>the net.  However, I am having the devil's own time getting it
>compile on my PC.  Looking at the Make files it has, it looks as
>though the sucker was supposed to be compiled via Microsoft C, which
>I don't have.  I have Turbo C, any suggestions about how to user it?

All that I had to do (I think) was use the UN*X makefile with the "make"
command that came with turbo-c 2.0.  This involved merely renaming it
to MAKEFILE.  I had to edit the makefile and change
"cc" to "tcc -O", but that was just about everything.  Oh yeah, the readme
file also said to edit one of the .h files and change the appropriate
#DEFINE from UNIX to MSDOS or something.

Took maybe 5 minutes total (including the compile).

Cheers,

-Mark

ncperson@ndsuvax.UUCP (Brett G. Person) (09/07/89)

In article <552@jvncf.UUCP> saroff@jvncf.csc.org.UUCP (Steve Saroff lac00001) writes:
>I recently got the sources, including make files for Stevie off
>the net.  However, I am having the devil's own time getting it
>compile on my PC.  Looking at the Make files it has, it looks as
>though the sucker was supposed to be compiled via Microsoft C, which
>I don't have.  I have Turbo C, any suggestions about how to user it?

I couldn't even get it to compile under MSC 5.1!  The makefile just wouldn't
work and the compiler complained of a fatal internal error and told me to
call Microsoft.  I don't have turbo C, but I would suggest simply
re-writting the makefile (Yuck!)...maybe all you need to do is to change the
call to the compiler to tcc.  I don't pretend to understand makefiles -
which is why I may be having problems.  Anybody else havbe trouble with MSC
on this one?

--
Brett G. Person
North Dakota State University

fredex@cg-atla.UUCP (Fred Smith) (09/07/89)

In article <2887@ndsuvax.UUCP> ncperson@ndsuvax.UUCP (Brett G. Person) writes:
Re: STEVIE
>I couldn't even get it to compile under MSC 5.1!  The makefile just wouldn't
>work and the compiler complained of a fatal internal error and told me to
>call Microsoft.  I don't have turbo C, but I would suggest simply
>re-writting the makefile (Yuck!)...
>                                     .  Anybody else havbe trouble with MSC
>on this one?

I built it just last night using MSC 5.1 and it runs like a charm,
if you don't mind that the screen movement is rather on the woof-woof side!

In order to build it on MSDOS with MSC 5.1 you need to have a real make
program, not the half-baked, brain-damaged make which comes with the
Microsoft C compiler.  You can try abmake which was distributed on c.b.i.p
a couple of months ago. That is what I used to build stevie yesterday. The
make which microsoft provides is better than a batch file for building,
but only does half the job that make is supposed to do -- it does not
construct a dependency tree for all the objects which go into making
a target, but rather it merely examines each target in the sequence
they are specified in the file, making sure each is up to date with
respect to its dependencies. Normal Unix makefiles tend to list the
main target first with all the pieces which comprise them going
down the file in some (usually unimportant) sequence. Microsoft make
wants things the other way around, with the low-level dependencies at
the top and the final target at the bottom, so it can traverse the
list in ascending order of importance (since it does not know how to
construct that ordered list itself!). Like I said, brain-damaged.

The other thing you gotta do is to edit env.h and make sure that
DOS is defined, and that Unix, etc., are NOT defined. Also, down at
the very end of the file make sure to comment out the #define TERMCAP
statement--otherwise it will compile just fine and the linker will
give you a whole bunch of undefined symbols.

After figuring out these things I built it with the makefile provided,
with no changes and it went fine. After testing it I changed the
CFLAGS variable to be $(MODEL) -G2 -Ox (for 286 code and full optimization)
and that also builds and runs fine.

By the way, I build it with MSC5.1 on an XT clone using DTK/ERSO Bios 2.40,
a NEC V20 chip, and PC-DOS 3.30.

Fred Smith

rdt143e@monu6.cc.monash.oz (dr s hill) (03/14/90)

In article <1786@tnoibbc.UUCP> mw@tnoibbc.UUCP (Marcel de waard) writes:
>Yesterday the Stevie program was send to comp.sources.misc. After having
>decoded it, it turned out that there was one header file missing. The file
>that this is all about is the ASCII.H file. Is there somebody out there
>that can get hold of this file and send it to the net.

Here it is, from the 3.69 release

---------
/* $Header: /nw/tony/src/stevie/src/RCS/ascii.h,v 1.2 89/03/11 22:42:03 tony Exp $
 *
 * Definitions of various common control characters
 */

#define	NUL	'\0'
#define	BS	'\010'
#define	TAB	'\011'
#define	NL	'\012'
#define	CR	'\015'
#define	ESC	'\033'

#define	CTRL(x)	((x) & 0x1f)

-------------
Simon Hill, Chisholm Institute, P.O Box 197, Caulfield East, VIC 3145
AUSTRALIA                    Phone: 61-3-573-2092  Fax: 61-3-572-1298
INET: shill%monu6.cc.monash.edu.au@uunet.uu.net
UUCP: munnari!monu6.cc.monash.edu.au!shill@uunet.uu.net

gallag@hp-and.HP.COM (Mike Gallagher) (03/16/90)

> (Now could somebody post the definition of the MK_FP macro?)
From dos.h (TURBOC)

#define MK_FP (seg,ofs)  ((void far *) \
			    (((unsigned long)(seg) << 16) | (unsigned)(ofs)))

Mike Gallagher

ldstern@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Larry Stern) (03/26/91)

To all: I originally asked this question in comp.editors but I've had so many
netmail questions I'd like to repeat it here. I downloaded Stevie, the vi clone,and am using it happily on my Dos machine (downloaded from Simtel, BTW).
The question is does anyone know if this program is being developed and
debugged further? The time-stamps on the file date 4/90. If anyone knows of
later versions or news on the project several of us Stevie users would like
to know.

					       Thanks,  Larry Stern

--

Larry Stern                                  LDSTERN@RODAN.ACS.SYR.EDU

roy%cybrspc@cs.umn.edu (Roy M. Silvernail) (03/27/91)

ldstern@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Larry Stern) writes:

> To all: I originally asked this question in comp.editors but I've had so many
> netmail questions I'd like to repeat it here. I downloaded Stevie, the vi clo
> The question is does anyone know if this program is being developed and
> debugged further? The time-stamps on the file date 4/90. If anyone knows of
> later versions or news on the project several of us Stevie users would like
> to know.

I have installed some modifications that allow Stevie to be used as a
BBS editor without compromising system security, and also fixed a nasty
bug in the paragraph search routine.  Diffs and a DOS exe were posted to
alt.bbs.waffle last week. I suppose if there were sufficient interest, I
could make the diffs and/or the DOS exe available somewhere besides alt.
--
Roy M. Silvernail --  roy%cybrspc@cs.umn.edu - OR-  cybrspc!roy@cs.umn.edu
  perl -e '$x = 1/20; print "Just my \$$x! (adjusted for inflation)\n"'

For the record elvis v1.4 is in the queue, and will come at the end of
games week.
    sysop *IX BBS and Public Access UNIX

pjh@mccc.edu (Pete Holsberg) (03/30/91)

In article <3514@sixhub.UUCP> davidsen@sixhub.UUCP (bill davidsen) writes:
=For the record elvis v1.4 is in the queue, and will come at the end of
=games week.

How big is it?  I compiled it under TC++ and got a 200+K executable!

Pete
--
Prof. Peter J. Holsberg      Mercer County Community College
Voice: 609-586-4800          Engineering Technology, Computers and Math

groot@idca.tds.PHILIPS.nl (H. de Groot) (04/04/91)

In <1991Mar29.213328.12922@mccc.edu> pjh@mccc.edu (Pete Holsberg) writes:

>In article <3514@sixhub.UUCP> davidsen@sixhub.UUCP (bill davidsen) writes:
>=For the record elvis v1.4 is in the queue, and will come at the end of
>=games week.

>How big is it?  I compiled it under TC++ and got a 200+K executable!

Try "tdstrip" on it and you will be amazed!! I also used LZEXE on it and
my vi.exe is now 53K.

Henk

--
  /   /            Henk de Groot, PAV   | UUCP     : ..!mcsun!philapd!groot
 /---/ __  __  /   V2/A12-A13, ext: 2099| Internet : groot@idca.tds.philips.nl

pjh@mccc.edu (Pete Holsberg) (04/06/91)

=
=>In article <3514@sixhub.UUCP> davidsen@sixhub.UUCP (bill davidsen) writes:
=>=For the record elvis v1.4 is in the queue, and will come at the end of
=>=games week.
=
=>How big is it?  I compiled it under TC++ and got a 200+K executable!
=
=Try "tdstrip" on it and you will be amazed!! I also used LZEXE on it and
=my vi.exe is now 53K.

I'm not familiar with either tdstrip or lzexe.  Could you say what they
are and where they are?

Thanks,
Pete