[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] reading mac diskettes on an ibm compat.

kline@unix.cis.pitt.edu (William E Kline) (04/05/91)

This may sound a little strange...but...
I need to be able to convert mac diskettes to an IBM machine.  I currently
have a 386sx/20 with 5 1/4 and 3 1/2 inch H.D. drives.  Is there currently
any software or hardware that will let me read a mac diskette directly
onto my ibm comp, or simply convert it in?
I will be converting MAC Pagemaker files for printing...

Any help would be appreciated....:)

Bill Kline                       | "We have so much time, and
Acadmic Computing                | so little to do.  Uhh,
University of Pittsburgh         | strike that, reverse it."
Bradford Campus                  |             -- Willy Wonka

INTERNET                          BITNET
    kline@unix.cis.pitt.edu           KLINE@PITTVMS.BITNET
CCNET                             UUCP
    kline@CISUNX                      kline@cisunx.uucp

Aaron.Roydhouse@comp.vuw.ac.nz (Aaron Roydhouse) (04/05/91)

In article <unix.cis.pitt.edu>, kline@unix.cis.pitt.edu (William E
Kline) writes:
>This may sound a little strange...but...
>I need to be able to convert mac diskettes to an IBM machine.  I
>currently
>have a 386sx/20 with 5 1/4 and 3 1/2 inch H.D. drives.  Is there
>currently
>any software or hardware that will let me read a mac diskette directly
>onto my ibm comp, or simply convert it in?

"CopyIIPC Deluxe Option Board"

Central Point Software Inc.
9700 S.W. Capitol Highway,
Portland,
Oregon 97219

(503)244-5782

For PC an AT Compatibles (Version available for PS/2 Model 25 & 30)
"Turn your internal 3.5" drive in a PC/Mac drive"

This is an internal board which is connected between your floppy drive
controller and your disk drives (extra cable supplied). I've used it and it
works, allowing you to read, write and format Mac 800K and 400K (HFS & MFS)
disks.

NOTE: It does not read high density Mac II disks, nor does it work on all
brands of 3.5" drive. Notably it does not work with the Mitsubishi
mechanism.

>Bill Kline                       | "We have so much time, and

Aaron.

I not in any way associated with Central Point Software.
--
 _  Aaron "The Entity" Roydhouse  /  Ph: +64 4 726-363  A/H: +64 4 850-988
/ \  -=[ The Cave MegaBBS ]=-    /  Fax: +64 4 4996301  BBS: +64 4 643-429
\__   aaron@comp.vuw.ac.nz     /  Quote: "Death: To stop sinning suddenly"

gmurray@ibmpcug.co.uk (G Murray) (04/07/91)

In article <111369@unix.cis.pitt.edu> kline@unix.cis.pitt.edu (William E Kline) writes:
> This may sound a little strange...but...
> I need to be able to convert mac diskettes to an IBM machine.  I currently
> have a 386sx/20 with 5 1/4 and 3 1/2 inch H.D. drives.  Is there currently
> any software or hardware that will let me read a mac diskette directly
> onto my ibm comp, or simply convert it in?
> I will be converting MAC Pagemaker files for printing...
>
> Any help would be appreciated....:)

    There are at least 2 solutions to this.

 1) If the MAC disks are the newer high density type then the PC should be
     able to read them directly.

 2) There is a board/software by MicroSolutions called either MatchMaker
     or MatchPoint. One of these allows a PC to access an Apple II disk,
     the other allows reading/writing of MAC disks, but I can't remeber
     which is which.

 Hope this helps.

Graham

--
Automatic Disclaimer:
The views expressed above are those of the author alone and may not

nyet@nntp-server.caltech.edu (n liu) (04/07/91)

gmurray@ibmpcug.co.uk (G Murray) writes:

>In article <111369@unix.cis.pitt.edu> kline@unix.cis.pitt.edu (William E Kline) writes:
>> This may sound a little strange...but...
>> I need to be able to convert mac diskettes to an IBM machine.  I currently
>> have a 386sx/20 with 5 1/4 and 3 1/2 inch H.D. drives.  Is there currently
>> any software or hardware that will let me read a mac diskette directly
>> onto my ibm comp, or simply convert it in?
>> I will be converting MAC Pagemaker files for printing...
>>
>> Any help would be appreciated....:)
>>
>    There are at least 2 solutions to this.

> 1) If the MAC disks are the newer high density type then the PC should be
>     able to read them directly.

> 2) There is a board/software by MicroSolutions called either MatchMaker
>     or MatchPoint. One of these allows a PC to access an Apple II disk,
>     the other allows reading/writing of MAC disks, but I can't remeber
>     which is which.

or:
   3) There is the easiest way.. if your Mac has a superdrive, there's
	  an init called initPC (i think) that allows the Mac to do the
	  writing in PC format for either HD or 720.. I friend has it; i'll
	  check if its shareware or PD; if it is, i'll binhex and email it
	  to you if you want. If it isn't, ask some comp.mac types (i don't
	  read those groups, so i can't tell you if its been discussed).

nye

c60b-1eq@web-1e.berkeley.edu (Noam Mendelson) (04/08/91)

In article <1991Apr7.085103.28026@nntp-server.caltech.edu> nyet@nntp-server.caltech.edu (n liu) writes:
>gmurray@ibmpcug.co.uk (G Murray) writes:
>>In article <111369@unix.cis.pitt.edu> kline@unix.cis.pitt.edu (William E Kline) writes:
>>> This may sound a little strange...but...
>>> I need to be able to convert mac diskettes to an IBM machine.  I currently
>>> have a 386sx/20 with 5 1/4 and 3 1/2 inch H.D. drives.  Is there currently
>>> any software or hardware that will let me read a mac diskette directly
>>> onto my ibm comp, or simply convert it in?
>>> I will be converting MAC Pagemaker files for printing...
>>> Any help would be appreciated....:)
>>    There are at least 2 solutions to this.
>> 1) If the MAC disks are the newer high density type then the PC should be
>>     able to read them directly.
>> 2) There is a board/software by MicroSolutions called either MatchMaker
>>     or MatchPoint. One of these allows a PC to access an Apple II disk,
>>     the other allows reading/writing of MAC disks, but I can't remeber
>>     which is which.
>or:
>   3) There is the easiest way.. if your Mac has a superdrive, there's
>	  an init called initPC (i think) that allows the Mac to do the
>	  writing in PC format for either HD or 720.. I friend has it; i'll
>	  check if its shareware or PD; if it is, i'll binhex and email it
>	  to you if you want. If it isn't, ask some comp.mac types (i don't
>	  read those groups, so i can't tell you if its been discussed).

If your Mac has superdrive, you can use the Apple File Exchange.  It should
come with your Mac and I believe it is shareware.  The AFE is a simple
program which will convert files from one format to the other.  It can
also format diskettes in MSDOS format on your Mac.
But this is assuming you have a Mac.

| Noam Mendelson   ..!agate!ucbvax!web!c60b-1eq | "I haven't lost my mind, |
| c60b-1eq@web.Berkeley.EDU                     |  it's backed up on tape  |
| University of California at Berkeley          |  somewhere."             |