[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Looking for GRAMMAR checking program

shunho@wpi.WPI.EDU (Shun Ke Ho) (04/09/91)

Is there any good grammar checking program around for FTP??
Doesn't it work for others format except ascII ?

Please response by email.
--
shunho@wpi.wpi.edu
Shun Ke Sammy Ho

cctr132@csc.canterbury.ac.nz (Nick FitzGerald, CSC, Uni. of Canterbury, NZ) (04/09/91)

In article <1991Apr8.192615.22573@wpi.WPI.EDU>, shunho@wpi.WPI.EDU (Shun Ke Ho) writes:

> Is there any good grammar checking program around for FTP??
> Doesn't it work for others format except ascII ?

Sorry - couldn't resist this -

This is the second one this year who hasn't asked for a _grammer_ checker.

The spelling ability of netters is improving rapidly!!

PC-Mag late last year/early this reviewed the commercial ones - general
conclusion was something like: "not great, but if you're a poor writer,
may be helpful".  I doubt that shareware/PD ones (if available) come close
to best commercial ones, but if there is one (some ?) that does let the
rest of us know please.

Certainly, this is something with which I could do to help me write much
more better?

Nick. 8-)

raymond@math.berkeley.edu (Raymond Chen) (04/09/91)

Please note redirected followups.

In article <1991Apr8.192615.22573@wpi.WPI.EDU>, shunho@wpi (Shun Ke Ho) writes:
>Please response by email.

(Hee hee, a grammar error in a request for a grammar checker...)

I did, but here's an extract from the `old.questions' file in the
comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc and comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d archives.  As you
can see, this question reappears regularly.

S: Grammar checker
Q: afmintz@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Allan Mintz) 8 Apr 90
Q: ries@venice.SEDD.TRW.COM (Marc Ries) 30 Apr 90
R: dlu@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu (Dan Lu) 9 Apr 90
R: ftw33616@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Frank) 29 Apr 90
R: steveha@microsoft.UUCP (Steve Hastings) 3 May 90
Q: komatsu@aludra.usc.edu [Grammatik II Pro + Ami Pro. Editor] 19 May 90
Q: eakin@rsmas.miami.edu (C. Mark Eakin) [Grammatik III + WP5.0] 26 Apr 90
Q: davec@maxwell.Concordia.CA (Dave Chu) 2 Oct 90
R: dak@hpausla.aso.hp.com (Dave Kruger) 9 Oct 90
R: bwb@sei.cmu.edu (Bruce Benson) 10 Oct 90
Q: alan@pluto.dss.com (Alan Warwick) 1 Nov 90
R: clouds@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Kathy Strong) 3 Nov 90
>I've heard that both Grammatik and Sensible Grammar are okay.
R: boulder!bohemia!Greg.Smith (Greg Smith) 3 Nov 90
Q: jps@uh.msc.umn.edu (Jeff P. Sorvik) 7 Feb 91
R: v087mxgb@ubvmsa.cc.buffalo.edu (Shawn E Thompson) 7 Feb 91
R: toma@sail.LABS.TEK.COM (Tom Almy) 8 Feb 91
R: kevinc@cs.athabascau.ca (Kevin Crocker) 11 Feb 91