[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Viruses on FTP sites??

pshamlen@amherst.bitnet (04/09/91)

(I apologize if this repeats a recent post, but I have not found any reference
to the topic in the news items listed at my site.)

What protection, if any, do the FTP sites provide against programs containing
viruses?  Some bulletin board operators check each program uploaded for common
viruses, but this usually takes a fair amount of time.  Do some FTP sites do
the same?  Have there been any cases of infected programs on FTP sites? Do some
users check the programs that they download?

It would seem to me that, due to the limited access of upload capability on FTP
sites, that the files stored within would be fairly secure.  However, as
evidenced by the traffic on the more popular FTP sites, clearly these sites
distribute a great deal of data across the nets.  Therefore, it would seem that
computer viruses would be of some concern.  I'm interested in knowing what
others think of the risks of FTP sites.

Please E-mail responses to me, and I will post a summary to this newsgroup.
--
<<<  Peter S. Hamlen              Ni!             pshamlen@amherst.edu  >>>

ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi) (04/10/91)

In article <12702.28012bda@amherst.bitnet> pshamlen@amherst.bitnet writes:
>(I apologize if this repeats a recent post, but I have not found any reference
>to the topic in the news items listed at my site.)
>
>What protection, if any, do the FTP sites provide against programs containing
>viruses?  Some bulletin board operators check each program uploaded for common
>viruses, but this usually takes a fair amount of time.  Do some FTP sites do
>the same?  Have there been any cases of infected programs on FTP sites? Do some
>users check the programs that they download?
:

I apologize that this reply repeats a recent post :-) but you can
find information (also) on this question in the ubiquitous
/pc/ts/tsfaq19.arc Frequently Asked Questions collection.

Prof. Timo Salmi
Moderating at garbo.uwasa.fi anonymous ftp archives 128.214.12.37

In article <12702.28012bda@amherst.bitnet> pshamlen@amherst.bitnet writes:

| What protection, if any, do the FTP sites provide against programs containing
| viruses?  Some bulletin board operators check each program uploaded for common
| viruses, but this usually takes a fair amount of time.

  The only protection an ftp site has is diligence by the
administration. That goes for a news group or BBS. You bet your favorite
body part that it takes time. I believe that simtel20, garbo, and grape
check submissions in their regular areas, I don't know their current
policy on the upload area.

  I don't specify which checkers and methods I use, but there are three
checkers run before the program is reviewed, and two detectors running
while programs are tested. I believe that the last time I talked to
Keith that he was not about to specify what he used either. I don't
speak for anyone else, so that should be taken as my understanding and
not a statement of policy.

  I will add that I don't trust what I download from *anywhere*, for
technical reasons. There is always a gap between the time a virus hits
the streets and the time the checkers and fixers catch up. I certainly
don't have the time or CPU to go back and recheck all the stuff I have
which might have been infected, and I bet no one else does either.
Therefore you are only assurred that *at the time I posted* I tried like
hell to find a problem, but I'm not going back and looking at stuff
which is already out.

  Actually I should start calling the backlog a feature instead of a
problem, and say I do it to give the virus checkers a chance to catch
up. That's the ticket...

  I'm forcing some new antivirals into the queue tonight, which is why
I'm home instead of out at a meeting. These are the latest I have.
    sysop *IX BBS and Public Access UNIX