[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] wanted: program suitable for use by a two-year-old

tr@SAMADAMS.PRINCETON.EDU (Tom Reingold) (04/09/91)

My daughter wants to do what I do (of course) so she really wants to do
stuff with a computer.  She has made the connection that pressing a key
has a result on the screen, so I think she's ready.  I promise not to
discuss object-oriented programming or devices drivers with her yet.
So are there some free programs I can try?  I have a Microsoft mouse
and a Paradise color VGA monitor.
--
        Tom Reingold
        tr@samadams.princeton.edu  OR  ...!princeton!samadams!tr

troy@plod.cbme.unsw.oz.au (Troy Rollo) (04/09/91)

From article <9104090415.AA15541@samadams.Princeton.EDU>, by tr@SAMADAMS.PRINCETON.EDU (Tom Reingold):
tr> My daughter wants to do what I do (of course) so she really wants to do
tr> stuff with a computer.  She has made the connection that pressing a key
tr> has a result on the screen, so I think she's ready.  I promise not to
tr> discuss object-oriented programming or devices drivers with her yet.
tr> So are there some free programs I can try?  I have a Microsoft mouse
tr> and a Paradise color VGA monitor.

My brother wanted to do the same things at that age... he's now 8 (I think).
So I let him play with a mouse based painting program. There are enough of
those around that you shouldn't have any problems finding one. HE had no
problems picking up the program with little or no instruction, and anything
mouse based is going to be much easier than anything text based.......
considering it's unlikely she can read already.

troy@mr_plod.cbme.unsw.oz.au

fordke@infonode.ingr.com (Keith Ford x8614) (04/12/91)

In article <9104090415.AA15541@samadams.Princeton.EDU> tr@SAMADAMS.PRINCETON.EDU (Tom Reingold) writes:
>My daughter wants to do what I do (of course) so she really wants to do
>stuff with a computer.  She has made the connection that pressing a key
>has a result on the screen, so I think she's ready.  I promise not to

On my bbs, a coworker has uploaded a program called MEMORY.  It has an
array of card plates, tag one with a mouse and it shows what is underneath.
You can then find matches.  He added an option so you can just tag them
and leave then flipped, then hit the space bar to reset.  His 2-year old
daughter would sit hours and do this.  It didn't take here long to learn
how to move the mouse and have it do what she wanted.
--
 __  fordke@ingr.com, ...!uunet!ingr!{fordke,infonode!umagic!sysop}
/  \ Micro Magic CBCS  1:373/12  (205)830-2362  sysop@umagic.fidonet.org