[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] key click program

tamboer@CS.VU.NL (Erik Tamboer) (04/12/91)

I have uploaded to SIMTEL20:

pd1:<msdos.keyboard>
CLICK10.ZIP     Free keyboard click program with asm source.

This is Click v1.0, a small memory-resident program that makes
the keys of an IBM-compatible PC click (actually, the click
comes from the speaker ;-). The program can be customized (edit
the source code and re-assemble) to also click when keys are
released and to make special keys (Alt, NumLock, etc.) click too.
Assembler source code is included. Both executable and source
code are free.

Enjoy.

    Erik Tamboer (tamboer@cs.vu.nl)

tamboer@cs.vu.nl (Tamboer Erik) (04/13/91)

tamboer@CS.VU.NL (Erik Tamboer) (Hey, that's me!) writes:

>I have uploaded to SIMTEL20:

>pd1:<msdos.keyboard>
>CLICK10.ZIP     Free keyboard click program with asm source.

I received a few messages pointing out that the click this
program produces is hardly audible on fast computers. I knew
this was going to be a problem, but I don't know enough assembler
to devise a clockspeed-independent delay routine.
For those who do not have an assembler, you could try to patch the
binary CLICK.COM (e.g. using debug); the word (2 bytes) at offset 3Fh
determines the duration and therefore the volume of the click.
It may be better to search for the byte sequence B9 28 00, and
change the 28 00 into something that works better for you (I'm not
entirely sure about the 3Fh offset).
I only have an 8 MHz 8088, so I never had a need to make the program
speed independent. Anyone who can is encouraged to do so (please send
me a copy, or better yet, post it).

Good luck.
Erik
--
Erik Tamboer	    o | "The police are anxious to speak to anyone    |
(tamboer@cs.vu.nl) <\ | who saw the crime, ladies with large breasts, |