[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] problem with 'myless'

mikek@col.hp.com (Mike Karin) (04/12/91)

I tried using myless as posted on c.b.i.p a day or so ago.  I found a
little problem when I inadvertantly invoked less with no parameters.  What
happened was that the machine would only echo characters typed from the
keyboard and it was impossible to get out of the program without doing
a warm boot (ctl-alt-del).

Anybody know anything about this?

Mike Karin
Hewlett-Packard Co.
Colorado Springs Division
mikek@col.hp.com

reso@fmsrl7.srl.ford.com (Dennis M. Reso) (04/13/91)

This is what's known (at least in Unix) as "reading from standard
input" when no filename is given.

The program was paginating the standard input -- the keyboard.
Terminate the file by typing the EOF character (often Ctrl-D on
Unix systems). You might then see some "(END)" message at which
point you can probably "Q" to quit.

This feature is useful for things like

   program | myless

Where the "program" generates a lot of output but you don't
want to put the stuff in prog.log first and then "myless prog.log"

reso@pms415.pms.ford.com                    reso@sevihc.mi.org
RESO -ON D1D1                               {sharkey|hela}!sevihc!reso
Ford - Car Product Development, CAD/CAM     Sterling Heights, MI USA
Bldg3 1st Floor #1152 (313) 322-5867        (313) 939-2789

mikek@col.hp.com (Mike Karin) (04/13/91)

I got several responses to this question (Thanks, Guys!)  Interestingly,
none of the responses were exactly right.  The secret (at least on my
machine) is to do a CTL-Z and then 'q'.  The CTL-Z gets the less prompt
back and 'q' exits the program.

Mike Karin
Hewlett-Packard Co.
Colorado Springs Division
mikek@col.hp.com

dfoster@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Derek R. Foster) (04/13/91)

In article <40068@fmsrl7.UUCP> pms415!reso@fmsrl7.srl.ford.com (Dennis M. Reso) writes:
>The program was paginating the standard input -- the keyboard.
>Terminate the file by typing the EOF character (often Ctrl-D on
>Unix systems). You might then see some "(END)" message at which
>point you can probably "Q" to quit.

Incidentally, on MSDOS systems, the EOF character is Ctrl-Z.

Derek Riippa Foster

mju@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us (Marc Unangst) (04/15/91)

mikek@col.hp.com (Mike Karin) writes:
> I tried using myless as posted on c.b.i.p a day or so ago.  I found a
> little problem when I inadvertantly invoked less with no parameters.  What
> happened was that the machine would only echo characters typed from the
> keyboard and it was impossible to get out of the program without doing
> a warm boot (ctl-alt-del).

Sounds like "myless" is doing the same thing that "less" does under
Unix when you invoke it with no parameters.  It acts as a filter,
reading from stdin and writing to stdout.  This is designed to
facilitate using it in a pipeline; unfortunately, when you invoke it
in a non-piped environment, stdin and stdout are both the keyboard.

If you have BREAK turned on (BREAK ON from the DOS prompt), you should
be able to hit Ctrl-Break to kill it, unless myless is trapping it.
You should also be able to feed it a ^Z on stdin, which is EOF under
DOS, to make myless think that it's reached the end of the input,
which should let you quit.  I suppose you could also try typing enough
characters to fill up 25 lines, at which point you'll get the ":"
prompt from less, and you can hit "q" to quit.

--
Marc Unangst               |
mju@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us  | "Bus error: passengers dumped"