[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] QC42 and PC-TOOLS compress

u9039899@cs.uow.edu.au (Darrin Jon Smart) (04/07/91)

Has anyone tried to run the COMPRESS defragmenter at the same time as
QuickCache (recently posted in cbip). Compress warns not to have any TSR's
loaded but works fine under PC-Cache.

While I'm here - how does one set up QC to use the first 256k of extended
memory (1024k - 1280k)?

 - Darrin

s907396@minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au (Eugene Mok (Miramar)) (04/07/91)

u9039899@cs.uow.edu.au (Darrin Jon Smart) writes:

>Has anyone tried to run the COMPRESS defragmenter at the same time as
>QuickCache (recently posted in cbip). Compress warns not to have any TSR's
>loaded but works fine under PC-Cache.

It's always a good thing not to have any TSRs especially disk caches running
when you're unfragmenting a hard disk. Boot from a floppy when you want to
unfragment your HD. Though I haven't had any major problems yet while
unfragmenting with TSRs in memory, I started booting with a clean system
when my friend had his HD trashed. Using PC-Compress and PC-Cache, both
from the PCTools package I assume, should be safe.

>While I'm here - how does one set up QC to use the first 256k of extended
>memory (1024k - 1280k)?

Sorry, can't help you here. I use Hyperdisk which I feel is a very good
disk cache program. I had a problem with QuickCache(an older version)
and decided not to use it any further.

--
-----/ _ _ \--------------------------------------------------------------------
     \  ^  /                 eugene@pogo.ai.mit.edu       (USA)
------\ o /---------------------------------------------------------------------

roberts@stsci.EDU (Jim Roberts) (04/11/91)

In article <1991Apr7.131555.19402@cs.uow.edu.au> u9039899@cs.uow.edu.au (Darrin Jon Smart) writes:

>Has anyone tried to run the COMPRESS defragmenter at the same time as
>QuickCache (recently posted in cbip). Compress warns not to have any TSR's
>loaded but works fine under PC-Cache.

You are asking for trouble if you have any cacheing program active
while running PC Tools COMPRESS (poor choice of names!) except
PC-Cache (PC Quik) - not just for the consolidation function, but also
for the surface scan.  And I have learned the hard way that you should
not use memory resident software when running PC Backup 6.0 from the
same folks.  I did, then upgraded my AMI ROM BIOS a week ago for a new
IDE disk.  All backups done under the new BIOS were worthless as
verified by F9 Compare.  High or medium speed - it didn't matter.
When I rebooted clean the problem went away completely.

Using PC Backup on XTs with TSRs is also asking for trouble.  A friend
did this recently, and her 65 MB of conscientiously done PC Backups
was all worthless when the disk died.  I got rid of her TSRs and
everything worked fine (except for the old backups, of course).

I run Mace cache on my machine because it's faster than PC-Cache (on
my machine) and QRAM can relocate it into high memory without changing
its performance.  Putting PC Cache into high mem is like turning your
hard disk into a big floppy.  I mean to try Hyperdisk and QC with QRAM
ASAP.  Anyone have experience with these combinations?

>While I'm here - how does one set up QC to use the first 256k of extended
>memory (1024k - 1280k)?

Don't they always load from the top?
--
Jim Roberts	roberts@stsci.edu	scivax::roberts

vanmick@hpsgm2.sgp.hp.com (Van Der Beek Michael-Leo) (04/15/91)

Hi,

	I am using Hyperdisk program with QEMM 5.11 and using PC-TOOLS compress.
I have not found anyproblems with this. You have to run hyperdkx.sys (not to
sure as I don't have manual on hand ;-) hyper386.sys is supposed to run best
with himem.sys and windows. Hyperdkx.sys is to be run with QEMM.

	Anyway, there was no problem with compress when run with QEMM and
hyperdkx but if you run it with hyper386 there was some problems (I think,
can't exactly remember what was in it when I ran it). Some files seems to
shift around especially the last few files. All the rest was compress correctly
except for the last few files, they seem to jump all over the place.

	So if you are using QEMM (I assume QRAM will also work) use hyperdkx.sys
instead of hyper386.sys, it is in the documentation).

	So far no problems. My system config is as follows

	AMI BIOS (can't remember what date)
	128K cache
	386-33Mhz
	4Mb ram
	80Mb 19ms Maxtor HD
	44Mb Syquest HD

	I hope this helps. Make sure you have backups before you try such things
Or else any loss of data will be bad.

Regards,

Michael