[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] REALLY FAST MATH????

mike@ai.mew.mei.co.jp (R. Michael Taylor) (03/26/91)

Hey, does anyone out there have any knowledge of some really fast math
packages for the PC?  Preferably, the package would be written in assembly
for the 286 or up and would run like blazes.  It also needs to be
interfaced to 'C' routines.

 I've been looking on the net and haven't seen any reports of such a thing.
Also, I don't have direct access to SIMTEL20 so I haven't looked there.

thanks

--
<=============================================>
R. Michael Taylor, Virtual Reality Researcher

hartnegg@sun1.ruf.uni-freiburg.de (Klaus Hartnegg) (04/15/91)

mike@ai.mew.mei.co.jp (R. Michael Taylor) writes:

>Hey, does anyone out there have any knowledge of some really fast math
>packages for the PC?

Newer compilers of Borland have very fast real arithmetics.
I think Turbo Pascal uses them since version 5.5

If you need very fast trigonometric functions look them up in
an array. I can send you Turbo-Pascal source for sin and cos
doing this extremly fast (using integer calculations only to find
out the index). This can speed up a program by a factor of up
to twelve if it does a lot of trigonometry. The accuracy of
these functions is arbitrary high depending of how much memory
you can afford. Usually 1k or so is more than sufficient.
Klaus Hartnegg, Kleist-Str. 7, D-7835 Teningen, Germany | include standard
Bitnet : hartnegg@dfrruf1 or hartnegg@cernvm            | disclaimer here!
Internet : hartnegg@ibm.ruf.uni-freiburg.de             |