[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] 4DOS 3.02 and TAXCUT 1990 Install Script

indra@brahms.amd.com (Indra Singhal) (04/10/91)

The strangest thing... with installing TAXCUT 90 from MECA from a 4DOS
shell. The Install script is just a simple BAT file from the looks of
itthat calls pkunzip but it has disasterous affects when run from
4DOS... It actually trashed my disk. I can not explain that. I was able
to duplicate the problem too.

Same for the upgrade to the final release version. The Install and the
upgrade worked fine with regular command.com.

Anyone else seen this?

--
iNDRA | indra@amd.com or {ames apple uunet}!amd!indra

bradd@gssc.UUCP (Brad Davis) (04/16/91)

indra@brahms.amd.com (Indra Singhal) writes:

>The strangest thing... with installing TAXCUT 90 from MECA from a 4DOS
>shell. The Install script is just a simple BAT file from the looks of
>itthat calls pkunzip but it has disasterous affects when run from
>4DOS... It actually trashed my disk. I can not explain that. I was able
>to duplicate the problem too.
>
>Same for the upgrade to the final release version. The Install and the
>upgrade worked fine with regular command.com.
>
>Anyone else seen this?

I just had a problem with a batch file and 4DOS 3.02a that could be related
to what you are seeing.  The problem was the command seperator char ('^'
by default) appeared in an ECHO command in the batch file.

Look in your install .BAT and see if there is a carat in there, presumably in
an ECHO or a REM statement.  Delete that char, or run a COMMAND.COM inside
your 4DOS shell.

I would have said "try a different switch char" except that I had a weird
side effect when I changed my switch char to '&' with "SETDOS /C&".  After
doing this, the environment is erased.  Hmm.  Perhaps it's supposed to do
that, assuming it's at the top of your AUTOEXEC.BAT...

Does anybody know how to turn off the seperator char?  I never use that
feature of 4DOS, and would rather not have 4DOS processing all my ECHO
and REM statements looking for a second command.

Roadkill from the tires of:          >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>  \  /  >>>>>>>>>>>>>
  Brad Davis, GSS Inc, Beaverton OR  <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< --=###%= <<<<<<<<<<<<
Disclaimer: I claimed something?!?!                 My car hates cats