[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Is there a MSDOS .Z uncompress utility?

edwin@ccu1.aukuni.ac.nz (Ng) (04/08/91)

I am looking for a MSDOS .Z uncompress utility that will facilitate
my downloading of UNIX compressed files to my PC.

I have looked in a mirror SIMTEL-20 ARC-LBR directory but found nothing.

If anyone out there knows of such a utility, please send me the details
and how I can get hold of it (email, ftp ..etc).  THANKS.

* Edwin Ng                                          *
* Department of Electrical & Electronic Engineering *
* University of Auckland                            *
* Private Bag, Auckland                             *
* NEW ZEALAND                                       *
*                                                   *
* Fax: 64 9 366 0702                                *
* E-mail: edwin@ccu1.aukuni.ac.nz                   *

w8sdz@rigel.acs.oakland.edu (Keith Petersen) (04/08/91)

edwin@ccu1.aukuni.ac.nz (Ng) writes:
>I am looking for a MSDOS .Z uncompress utility that will facilitate
>my downloading of UNIX compressed files to my PC.

WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL [26.2.0.74]

Directory PD1:<MSDOS.SQ-USQ>
 Filename   Type Length   Date    Description
COMP430D.ZIP  B   20241  901013  Unix-compatible 16bit compress/uncompress/zcat
COMP430S.ZIP  B   70872  910224  C src: Unix-compat. 16-bit compress/uncompress

Keith
--
Keith Petersen
Maintainer of SIMTEL20's MSDOS, MISC & CP/M archives [IP address 26.2.0.74]

fictorie@freyr.pttrnl.nl (Henk Fictorie) (04/08/91)

edwin@ccu1.aukuni.ac.nz (Ng) writes:

>I am looking for a MSDOS .Z uncompress utility that will facilitate
>my downloading of UNIX compressed files to my PC.

>I have looked in a mirror SIMTEL-20 ARC-LBR directory but found nothing.
It's sure in simtel20:

PD1:
  MSDOS
    SQ-USQ
      COMP430D.ZIP   Unix-compatible 16bit compress/uncompress/zcat 901013
      COMP430S.ZIP   C src: Unix-compat. 16-bit compress/uncompress 910224
      DECOMP2.ZIP    Unix-compatible 16 bit uncompress, w/C source 900430

>If anyone out there knows of such a utility, please send me the details
>and how I can get hold of it (email, ftp ..etc).  THANKS.

>* Edwin Ng                                          *
Henk Fictorie, PTT Research Neher Labs,    H_Fictorie@pttrnl.nl
P.O. box 421,                              ...!hp4nl!dnlunx!henkf
2260 AK Leidschendam, The Netherlands      Phone    : +31 70 3326356

mss2@quads.uchicago.edu (Michael S. Schiffer) (04/09/91)

In article <fictorie.671102802@freyr> fictorie@freyr.pttrnl.nl (Henk Fictorie) writes:
>edwin@ccu1.aukuni.ac.nz (Ng) writes:
>>I am looking for a MSDOS .Z uncompress utility that will facilitate
>>my downloading of UNIX compressed files to my PC.
>>I have looked in a mirror SIMTEL-20 ARC-LBR directory but found nothing.
>It's sure in simtel20:

>      COMP430D.ZIP   Unix-compatible 16bit compress/uncompress/zcat 901013

I downloaded and used COMP430D.  A problem I've run into is that
compressed text files, when uncompressed on my PC, have had their
carriage return codes inexplicably transformed to ^Js.  Any solutions,
suggestions, etc?

--
Michael S. Schiffer, LHN	"Well, _I_ believe in solipsism--
aq578@cleveland.freenet.edu	 but that's just one man's

c60b-1eq@web-1a.berkeley.edu (Noam Mendelson) (04/09/91)

In article <1991Apr8.172213.1606@midway.uchicago.edu> mss2@quads.uchicago.edu (Michael S. Schiffer) writes:
>I downloaded and used COMP430D.  A problem I've run into is that
>compressed text files, when uncompressed on my PC, have had their
>carriage return codes inexplicably transformed to ^Js.  Any solutions,
>suggestions, etc?

They were most likely UN*X text files.  Remember, the EOL character(s)
are different for UN*X (LF only) and MSDOS (CR/LF).

+==========================================================================+
| Noam Mendelson   ..!agate!ucbvax!web!c60b-1eq | "I haven't lost my mind, |
| c60b-1eq@web.Berkeley.EDU                     |  it's backed up on tape  |
| University of California at Berkeley          |  somewhere."             |

ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi) (04/09/91)

In article <1991Apr8.172213.1606@midway.uchicago.edu> mss2@quads.uchicago.edu (Michael S. Schiffer) writes:
:
>>      COMP430D.ZIP   Unix-compatible 16bit compress/uncompress/zcat 901013
>
>I downloaded and used COMP430D.  A problem I've run into is that
>compressed text files, when uncompressed on my PC, have had their
>carriage return codes inexplicably transformed to ^Js.  Any solutions,
>suggestions, etc?
:

   This is a common problem.  Unix and MsDos use different eolns (end
of lines) for text files.  Msdos uses ascii 13 10 while Unix uses
10.  Might it be that COMP430D just puts is the ascii 10 (^J).
   If this is the case, you can easily remedy the situation by
running the text file (after extraction) through a suitable text
editor, such as /pc/editor/qedit21.zip, or a suitable filter such as
unix2pc.exe in /pc/ts/tsfilt16.arc.  Try either to see what happens.

Prof. Timo Salmi
Moderating at garbo.uwasa.fi anonymous ftp archives 128.214.12.37

pjh@mccc.edu (Pete Holsberg) (04/09/91)

In article <1991Apr8.172213.1606@midway.uchicago.edu> mss2@quads.uchicago.edu (Michael S. Schiffer) writes:
=I downloaded and used COMP430D.  A problem I've run into is that
=compressed text files, when uncompressed on my PC, have had their
=carriage return codes inexplicably transformed to ^Js.  Any solutions,
=suggestions, etc?

If those text files were created with a UNIX text editor, they had no
^Ms in them to begin with.  The end-of-line in MSDOS is CR-LF; in UNIX,
just LF.

Pete
--
Prof. Peter J. Holsberg      Mercer County Community College
Voice: 609-586-4800          Engineering Technology, Computers and Math

w8sdz@rigel.acs.oakland.edu (Keith Petersen) (04/10/91)

ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi) writes:
>   This is a common problem.  Unix and MsDos use different eolns (end
>of lines) for text files.  Msdos uses ascii 13 10 while Unix uses
>10.  Might it be that COMP430D just puts is the ascii 10 (^J).

COMP430D is identical to the Unix compress/uncompress program.  In
fact it was compiled from the same source code (see COMP430SR.ZIP).

Unix compress does *not* alter files, it just compresses them.  Unix
uncompress restores the file to its original contents.  The MS-DOS
version does the same.

There is an excellent program by Rahul Dhesi called FLIP which
corrects text file end-of-lines, flipping back and forth between Unix
and MS-DOS.  It's available from WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL [26.2.0.74]:

Directory PD1:<MSDOS.TXTUTL>
 Filename   Type Length   Date    Description
FLIP1EXE.ARC  B   18374  890731  Convert text files MSDOS<->UNIX format, 1of2
FLIP1SRC.ARC  B   26708  890713  Convert text files MSDOS<->UNIX format, 2of2

The source code in FLIP1SRC.ARC will compile on Unix or MS-DOS.

Keith
--

c60b-1eq@e260-3e.berkeley.edu (Noam Mendelson) (04/10/91)

In article <1991Apr9.121315.1523@uwasa.fi> ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi) writes:
>In article <1991Apr8.172213.1606@midway.uchicago.edu> mss2@quads.uchicago.edu (Michael S. Schiffer) writes:
>:
>>>      COMP430D.ZIP   Unix-compatible 16bit compress/uncompress/zcat 901013
>>
>>I downloaded and used COMP430D.  A problem I've run into is that
>>compressed text files, when uncompressed on my PC, have had their
>>carriage return codes inexplicably transformed to ^Js.  Any solutions,
>>suggestions, etc?
>   This is a common problem.  Unix and MsDos use different eolns (end
>of lines) for text files.  Msdos uses ascii 13 10 while Unix uses
>10.  Might it be that COMP430D just puts is the ascii 10 (^J).

No.  The lack of a CR is a UN*X trait.

>   If this is the case, you can easily remedy the situation by
>running the text file (after extraction) through a suitable text
>editor, such as /pc/editor/qedit21.zip, or a suitable filter such as
>unix2pc.exe in /pc/ts/tsfilt16.arc.  Try either to see what happens.

There are also UN*X utilities that do this, for example flip.tar-z
from simtel20 under pd3:<unix-c.utils> (this is the one I use).

+==========================================================================+
| Noam Mendelson   ..!agate!ucbvax!web!c60b-1eq | "I haven't lost my mind, |
| c60b-1eq@web.Berkeley.EDU                     |  it's backed up on tape  |
| University of California at Berkeley          |  somewhere."             |

mcastle@mcs213c.cs.umr.edu (Mike Castle {Nexus}) (04/10/91)

Also, if you editor can handle infinitely long lines, and allows you to do
global changes with special characters, you can just edit the file and make
all occurences of ^J into ^M^J.

--
Mike Castle (Nexus)  s087891@umrvma.umr.edu  or  mcastle@mcs213k.cs.umr.edu

Feel lonely?  Want someone to send you e-mail?  Just post to *.test with a

ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi) (04/10/91)

In article <1991Apr9.232659.22018@agate.berkeley.edu> c60b-1eq@e260-3e.berkeley.edu (Noam Mendelson) writes:
>In article <1991Apr9.121315.1523@uwasa.fi> ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi) writes:
:
>>   This is a common problem.  Unix and MsDos use different eolns (end
>>of lines) for text files.  Msdos uses ascii 13 10 while Unix uses
>>10.  Might it be that COMP430D just puts is the ascii 10 (^J).
>
>No.  The lack of a CR is a UN*X trait.

Yes.  We actually mean the same thing, but I worded mine badly.

>>   If this is the case, you can easily remedy the situation by
>>running the text file (after extraction) through a suitable text
>>editor, such as /pc/editor/qedit21.zip, or a suitable filter such as
>>unix2pc.exe in /pc/ts/tsfilt16.arc.  Try either to see what happens.
:

I checked my above assertion yesterday evening about comp430d,
qedit21, and tsfilt16, and my suggestions work, all right.

roberts@stsci.EDU (Jim Roberts) (04/11/91)

In article <1991Apr9.083444.29597@agate.berkeley.edu> c60b-1eq@web-1a.berkeley.edu (Noam Mendelson) writes:

>>carriage return codes inexplicably transformed to ^Js.  Any solutions,
>>suggestions, etc?
>
>They were most likely UN*X text files.  Remember, the EOL character(s)
>are different for UN*X (LF only) and MSDOS (CR/LF).

Yes.  However, if the files aren't too big (<90kb or so?) you can read
them under DOS with the MicroGnuEmacs editor (MG) which will
understand the newline, and when you save the file, a CR-LF will end
each line.  The Tech Editor 2.5 doen't put the CR-LF in, though it
will read the file correctly.  That's too bad, because T can handle
text files of arbitrary size, like ascii data files.

--
Jim Roberts	roberts@stsci.edu	scivax::roberts

jxp@ccadfa.adfa.oz.au (Joe Petrolito) (04/11/91)

Am I asking for too much, or is there a way to do this conversion
automatically somewhere during the uncompress/tar process?

melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger) (04/11/91)

In article <2360@ccadfa.adfa.oz.au> jxp@ccadfa.adfa.oz.au (Joe Petrolito) writes:

   Am I asking for too much, or is there a way to do this conversion
   automatically somewhere during the uncompress/tar process?

Has GNU tar been ported to DOS?  tar xfz will do the trick, if it has
been.

-Mike

ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi) (04/12/91)

In article <2360@ccadfa.adfa.oz.au> jxp@ccadfa.adfa.oz.au (Joe Petrolito) writes:
>Am I asking for too much, or is there a way to do this conversion
>automatically somewhere during the uncompress/tar process?

Since eg /pc/unix/comp430d.zip can be piped, use:

  comp430d.exe -d -c YourFile.Z | unix2pc > YourFile

where unix2pc.exe comes from /pc/ts/tsfilt16.arc.

andy@mks.com (Andy Toy) (04/15/91)

In article <l89G5t9m1@cs.psu.edu> (Michael D Mellinger) writes:
>In article <2360@ccadfa.adfa.oz.au> (Joe Petrolito) writes:
>[discussing LF to CR/LF conversion of UNIX text files]
>   Am I asking for too much, or is there a way to do this conversion
>   automatically somewhere during the uncompress/tar process?
>
>Has GNU tar been ported to DOS?  tar xfz will do the trick, if it has
>been.

Having LF converted to CR/LF as the default by tar is a bad idea.  Just
think of all the binaries which would no longer run after untarring.
Why would GNU tar ported to MS-DOS do such a thing when invoked as
`tar xfz file.tar.Z'?  It should only extract the contents of the
compressed tar file without changing the contents.  However, if one
knows that all the files in the tar file are text then an option to do
the conversion is desirable.
--
Andy Toy, Mortice Kern Systems Inc.,       Internet: andy@mks.com
  35 King Street North, Waterloo,       UUCP: uunet!watmath!mks!andy

roelofs@nas.nasa.gov (Cave Newt) (04/17/91)

melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger) writes:

>Has GNU tar been ported to DOS?  tar xfz will do the trick, if it has
>been.

I believe Kai Uwe Rommel ported it to OS/2, and most of his executables
are family mode (i.e., executable under either DOS or OS/2).  Nose around
comp.binaries.os2...