[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] v11i181: elvis14, vi clone v1.4

jchen@violet.waterloo.edu (Jinhua Chen) (04/16/91)

I haven't figured out where to put the "elvis.rc" and what envrionment
variables to set for (I have no problem if I put it in the working
dirctory. But this is not the question). Your help is greatly
appreciated.

Jinhua Chen.

bobmon@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (RAMontante) (04/17/91)

| I haven't figured out where to put the "elvis.rc" and what envrionment
| variables to set for (I have no problem if I put it in the working
| dirctory. But this is not the question). Your help is greatly
| appreciated.
|
| Jinhua Chen.

I have found that the simplest approach is to make a subdirectory (I call
mine "c:\etc") which contains various configuration files such as elvis.rc,
and use the APPEND command to ensure that files in that directory can always
be found.  Things like Borland .BGI files also go into \etc.  There are
public-domain alternatives, such as DPATH30 and SEARCH13 (might be at other
version numbers by now) which have worked for me with versions of MSDOS that
didn't have "APPEND".

You can set the environment variable EXINITRC to contain some options,
such as wrapmargin, but I think elvis.rc is a more flexible method.

mbb@cbnewsb.cb.att.com (martin.brilliant) (04/17/91)

In article <1991Apr16.124029.26688@watdragon.waterloo.edu> jchen@violet.waterloo.edu (Jinhua Chen) writes:
>I haven't figured out where to put the "elvis.rc" and what envrionment
>variables to set for (I have no problem if I put it in the working
>dirctory. But this is not the question). Your help is greatly
>appreciated.

I had trouble figuring out that I needed to create a \TMP directory on my
hard drive to avoid fatal "cannot create temp file" errors.  Then I found
that I could initialize from an ELVIS.RC file, but only if it was in the
current directory.  Then I set EXINIT=:so c:\elvis\elvis.rc (which was where
I put the initialization file) and it worked in any directory.

But I still would like to have docs.

                Martin B. Brilliant             hoqax!marty
                (Winnertech Corporation)        HO 2J-528
                                                (908)949-1215