[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] v11i171: locate, cmd line cursor position

ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi) (04/15/91)

In article <3717@sixhub.UUCP> ibmbin-request@crdgw1.crd.ge.com writes:
:
>LOCATE is a simple utility which places the cursor at x and y
>coordinates passed on the command line (see documentation).  Please
:

It's always very good to have new utilities into circulation.  But I
am slightly at a loss here why locating the cursor with ansi codes
in batch file operations is not sufficient.  What angle am I (and
perhaps other users) missing here?  Or is it just that the format of
a locate command is more strightforward than the more complicated
ansi codes (which require an ansi compatible driver loaded)?

Prof. Timo Salmi
Moderating at garbo.uwasa.fi anonymous ftp archives 128.214.12.37

null@rimfaxe.diku.dk (Niels Ull Jacobsen) (04/15/91)

In article <1991Apr14.172803.19169@uwasa.fi>, ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi) writes:
> In article <3717@sixhub.UUCP> ibmbin-request@crdgw1.crd.ge.com writes:
> :
> >LOCATE is a simple utility which places the cursor at x and y
> >coordinates passed on the command line (see documentation).  Please
> :
>
> It's always very good to have new utilities into circulation.  But I
> am slightly at a loss here why locating the cursor with ansi codes
> in batch file operations is not sufficient.  What angle am I (and
> perhaps other users) missing here?  Or is it just that the format of
> a locate command is more strightforward than the more complicated
> ansi codes (which require an ansi compatible driver loaded)?

I think it is "just that". I don't usually have ansi.sys (or a variant)
loaded, and I can't depend on all other potential users having one. And
it is MUCH easier not to have to go look up some weird ANSI codes each
time. Of course, at home I use 4dos which have these features build in,
so I only need this utility when distributing disks with "install-omatic"
batch files.

awhite@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Andrew J. White) (04/18/91)

In article <1991Apr14.172803.19169@uwasa.fi> ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi) writes:
>In article <3717@sixhub.UUCP> ibmbin-request@crdgw1.crd.ge.com writes:
%%LOCATE is a simple utility which places the cursor at x and y
%%coordinates passed on the command line (see documentation).  Please

:It's always very good to have new utilities into circulation.  But I
:am slightly at a loss here why locating the cursor with ansi codes
:in batch file operations is not sufficient.  What angle am I (and
:perhaps other users) missing here?  Or is it just that the format of
:a locate command is more strightforward than the more complicated
:ansi codes (which require an ansi compatible driver loaded)?
:...................................................................
:Prof. Timo Salmi
:Internet: ts@chyde.uwasa.fi Funet: gado::salmi Bitnet: salmi@finfun
:
As the author of the above-mentioned program, I find it useful because
of its straightforwardness and because, frankly, I have never had the
inclination to learn ANSI codes and don't even use an ANSI driver.  I
find that ANSI drivers, even the fast ones like from PC Magazine, *do*
slow down screen writes in text mode.

-Andrew

 Andrew J. White    | U. of Pennsylvania    | awhite@eniac.seas.upenn.edu
 Comp. Science 1993 | School of Engineering | whiteaj@clutx.clarkson.edu