[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Timo Salmi's obnoxious postings

ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi) (04/15/91)

> From: davidjl@eecs.ee.pdx.edu (David J Leitko)
> Subject: RE:  Distribution of BGI files...
> To: ts@uwasa.fi
> Date: Sun, 14 Apr 91 14:41:06 PDT
>
> I've gotten used to your rude, obnoxious responses to novice questions in
> comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d, etc.  As matter of fact, I am surprised when I don't
> see you respond to a novice question with some condescending remark.  Why
> don't you try to give these guys a little respect?  Remember, you were a
> novice once.  And to distribute mis-information simply adds injury to insult.
>
> I've also seen you put more effort into finding one of your programs that
> demonstrates how to do something so they can "ftp it from garbo" than it
> would have taken to type in the whole three line program.  What a waste!
> Especially when you are continuously trying to discourage people from abusing
> the trans-Atlantic links to Europe.
>
> Now don't get me wrong, I'm not urging you to _stop_ responding to these
> people, because you have been known to provide useful information.  And
> I know how it feels to post an intelligent question and get _no_ reply.
> What I am suggesting is that you re-evaluate the attitude you portray in
> your responses to FAQs and novice questions.
>
> Thank you.
>
> David Leitko
>
> --
>   David J Leitko                 "Bleah!..."         davidjl@eecs.cs.pdx.edu
>   Computer Science Department             ..!uunet!tektronix!pdxgate!davidjl
>   Portland State University
>   Portland, Oregon                      This space intentionally left blank.

I'll answer these accusations also publicly since according to your
message I keep insulting users of comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d (etc) with
rude, obnoxious messages.  Be this as may, all feedback is naturally
very welcome, also critical, and I appreciate the effort you have
put into writing your feedback.  I am also pleased to hear that you
yet consider some of my work to have been known to be useful.

As we recall from comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d moderator's (Bill Davidsen)
comments, one of the problems of c.b.i.p.d. (and the other groups) is
the drifting of the subjects of the messages.  One of the
problematic growing categories has been the "whereis" postings.
There is a difficult borderline here.  In many cases the user would
easily find the answer, if s/he cared to look at the readily
available file lists.  On the other hand there are also many cases
where the need of help is genuine, and then of course we should try
to help.  But it is often difficult to know with the scant
background information given.

Perhaps it is no real excuse, but I have also put in an innumerable
number of hours to try to gather and anticipate questions whose
answers would be of use to users, and help them (and me) to better
find our way around in the net and ftp sites, and get best value out
of them.  I take that you find annoying my frequent references to
this readily available material.

I take the liberty of inferring that you especially object to my
method of answering questions with pointers to where the answers are
rather than giving the direct answers.  There are reasons for this
method.  It is more generic.  It means that the same answers
probably do not have to be repeated so often.  Whether this method
takes more or less text than giving the actual, full answer is not
the real issue.  This is only my opinion, and many users may
disagree, but I think that it is more productive in the long run to
help people to know how to easily find answers to their questions
rather than simply feed all the answers.  Of course, there must be a
balance in this.  And one further obvious point.  Giving pointers to
answers is much easier than writing the whole answer.  A pointer to
answers, and the prerecorded answers are much less prone to errors
than an answer written on the fly.  The same naturally goes for
pointing to file lists instead of trying to recall all the names of
the utilities by heart, or go searching for them at this end of
things.

Moderating an ftp site is sometimes a thankless task, where one
occasionally just gets abuse from people who expect something for
nothing.  I've always been amazed by people's inclination to
complain about free services.  There is no monetary compensation for
me (nor am I looking for it) from file maintenance and distributing
the files, and if I often mention my own programming work (yes, I
do, I readily admit to that sin), that's the "price tag" that comes
with my imposed free services.  - There are, of course, also good
moments in moderating, usually thanks to a rather limited, and a
very dedicated brand of people who help in maitenance giving
information, write and/or upload programs that the rest of the
net have the opportunity to enjoy, in most cases for quite free.

I recall when I started posting the download statistics from our
site to comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d (which I still think had a lot of
generic information value whether one uses our site or not) there
was an upproar, and I decided to limit to the distribution to the
users on my garbo-infolist mailing list only.  Also I shifted much
of my postings to be by email only, and at the same time to gather
the carbon copies of these emailed "posting" for general download
for those who might be interested.  I'll reconsider utilizing these
options still more heavily, and refrain more from public posting,
if my postings are considered this offensive.

As a detail, might this debacle be yet another case for splitting
comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d just as Bill Davidsen has suggested.  Where
did that discussion vanish, anyway?

In any case, my collective apologies if I have been offending the
users of comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d, comp.os.msdos,programmer, and
comp.lang.pascal etc with my activities and postings.  That has
certainly not been my intention.

Prof. Timo Salmi
Moderating at garbo.uwasa.fi anonymous ftp archives 128.214.12.37

yogi@cs.ubc.ca (Joseph Gil) (04/16/91)

We should all recognize that Timo's responses are always:

	1) Polite and very careful in using non-offending words.
	2) Very well formulated.
	3) Always informative.

I think that offending a person who takes so much of his time
to help the community is WRONG! I think he is entitled to promote
his site and his work through this. Let me also state that in
most cases (I would estimate about 70%) I disagree to Timo's
exact reply, wording, reference or advice. So what! I cannot
devote the time for writing a better thing myself. And I think
that even if I strongly disagree with what he says, his answers are
so much more well-informed and otherwise superior to the
flames/rubbish/please me too/btw - this remind me of/junk
replies that we get so often!

Yossi

mjf@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Michael J Flory) (04/16/91)

I hope we're not in for another round of moderator-bashing.  I try to be
understanding when a moderator gets a little touchy about all the postings
asking for readily available info -- I can't imagine the time it must take
to moderate, I hardly find the time to read the postings -- but of all
folks, TS seems the *most* patient and, well, courtly in his responses.
And I take his references to the TS utilities, etc., as another plus, frankly.

The net *is* a baffling place at first -- and at second and at third :) ...
But thanks to the efforts of the (many) moderators who have written FAQ's and
who regularly post the startup kits, etc., I've found my way around pretty
well with a little patience.  What I marvel at is that this almost utterly
amorphous organization seems to be so self-organized, thanks to volunteer
efforts of moderators and posters.  I hope that the self-proclaimed novice
who felt slighted by Timo's messages (and I apologize for not citing by name
or quoting, I'm a bit of a novice too and have lost track of his message!)
will gradually find his way around, read the Frequently Asked Questions file,
download the Startup Kit which is posted several times a month, not feel
afraid to ask if his first set of UU-Encoded files yield rubbish what he did
wrong, and perhaps keep track of his steps and missteps and in a few months
help those who follow him by perhaps writing a True Beginners' Info Posting
or something along that line to help those just arriving over the first step
or two.  I sort of regret not keeping track of my first puzzlements for just
that purpose....

Michael Flory (mjf@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu)

cho@sol4.cs.psu.edu (Sehyeong Cho) (04/16/91)

Uh,..
As THE novice (one of the two) who supposedly got "obnoxious" response,
I wasn't offended at all.  Far from it.  I was just informed.
Thanks for concern.
And thanks to Timo for info.

--
                      |  Yesterday I was a student.
     Sehyeong Cho     |  Today I am a student.
     cho@cs.psu.edu   |  Tomorrow I'll probably still be a student.

ekman@wdl30.wdl.loral.com (Donald Ekman) (04/16/91)

In article <1991Apr15.205114.12145@cs.ubc.ca> yogi@cs.ubc.ca (Joseph Gil) writes:

>We should all recognize that Timo's responses are always:
>
>	1) Polite and very careful in using non-offending words.
>	2) Very well formulated.
>	3) Always informative.

<more good stuff deleted>

I heartily agree.  My thanks to Timo, Keith, Bill, and all those who give
their time.

Don

--
Donald E. Ekman           | Disclaimer:  Loral    | How oft the sight of means
Space Systems/Loral       | doesn't think I have  |         to do ill deeds

daj@reef.cis.ufl.edu (David A. Johns) (04/16/91)

In article <1991Apr15.074642.3009@uwasa.fi> ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi) writes:

# I take the liberty of inferring that you especially object to my
# method of answering questions with pointers to where the answers are
# rather than giving the direct answers.  There are reasons for this
# method.  It is more generic.  It means that the same answers
# probably do not have to be repeated so often.  Whether this method
# takes more or less text than giving the actual, full answer is not
# the real issue.  This is only my opinion, and many users may
# disagree, but I think that it is more productive in the long run to
# help people to know how to easily find answers to their questions
# rather than simply feed all the answers.

Also, for every person who gets one of these generic reminders after
having posted a question, there are undoubtedly ten more who see your
posting *before* having asked their first question.

Thus, by posting the pointer, you may well be preventing ten more
unnecessary individual questions.

henry@ADS.COM (Henry Mensch) (04/16/91)

->> From: davidjl@eecs.ee.pdx.edu (David J Leitko)
->> Subject: RE:  Distribution of BGI files...
->>
->> I've gotten used to your rude, obnoxious responses to novice questions in
->> comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d, etc.  As matter of fact, I am surprised when I don't
->> see you respond to a novice question with some condescending remark.

i don't see this at all in prof. salmi's postings ... i suggest you
stop reading things into the articles that aren't there ...

--
# Henry Mensch / Advanced Decision Systems / <henry@ads.com>

elliss@kira.egr.msu.edu (Stew Ellis) (04/16/91)

My feelings about this thread put me in mind of an old folk-saying:
  Give a person some fish and you will feed that person that night,
  teach the person to fish and feed him/her for life.

As a teacher I constantly run into students who do not want to learn the
more general method of how to solve a problem but just want the
quick-and-dirty way to solve the specific problem they are plagued by at
the moment.  I applaud Professor Salmi for his efforts to impose problem
solving discipline on the questions.  A couple of times his archive has also
been the only place I could find a recent version of some program/source-code.

                                             _________________________________
  R.Stewart (Stew) Ellis                    / _______________________________/
  Assoc. Prof. of Social Science           / /      ______  ____________  __
  Dept. of Humanities & Social Science    / /      /___  / / ___  ___  / / /
  1700 W. Third Avenue                   / /          / / / /  / /  / / / /
  Flint, MI 48504                       / /__________/ / / /  / /  / / / /
  313-762-9765 Office                  /______________/ /_/  /_/  /_/ /_/

  elliss@frith.egr.msu.edu            ENGINEERING & MANAGEMENT INSTITUTE

  "Apple Macintosh, the closed system for people with supposedly open minds."
    - plagiarized from someone else on the net
  "How you gonna do it? OS/2 it!" - stupid IBM ad
  "Have you ever heard anything so half-OSsed?" - me

perry@beach.gal.utexas.edu (John Perry KG5RG) (04/16/91)

	When I was first introduced to the world of newsgroups, Usenet, FTP
etc.., I had a lot of questions that needed to be answered. Quite a few of
these questions were posted to this and other newsgroups. For the most part,
the responses ranged from nothing at all to getting RTFM'ed to death. The one
person that I felt took the time to help me out, answer my questions, make me
feel at home, etc. was Prof. Salmi. He has obviously spent a lot of time
formulating his answers and working to be well-informed in a non-verbose
fashion. I would think that any attacks against an individual in this group
should be moved to alt.flames where it belongs anyway.

To paraphrase:
"If you are perfect, then you can throw the first stone..."

                              John Perry KG5RG
                              University of Texas Medical Branch
                              Galveston, Texas  77550-2772

You can send mail to me at any of the following addresses:

DECnet   : BEACH::PERRY
THEnet   : BEACH::PERRY
Internet : perry@beach.gal.utexas.edu
Internet : john.perry@f365.n106.z1.fidonet.org
BITNET   : PERRY@UTMBEACH
SPAN     : UTSPAN::UTADNX::BEACH::PERRY
FIDOnet  : 1:106/365.0

feg@cbnewsb.cb.att.com (forrest.e.gehrke) (04/17/91)

In article <%~5&T~^@ads.com> henry@ADS.COM (Henry Mensch) writes:
>->> From: davidjl@eecs.ee.pdx.edu (David J Leitko)
>->> Subject: RE:  Distribution of BGI files...
>->>
>->> I've gotten used to your rude, obnoxious responses to novice questions in
>->> comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d, etc.  As matter of fact, I am surprised when I don't
>->> see you respond to a novice question with some condescending remark.
>

>I don't see this at all in Prof. Salmi's postings ... I suggest you
>stop reading things into the articles that aren't there ...
>
>--
># Henry Mensch / Advanced Decision Systems / <henry@ads.com>

Nor do I.  Timo is the epitome of diplomacy compared to many
of the postings seen on this group.  When you consider that
English is not Timo's native language he uses it more elegantly
than many whose native tongue is English.

Although the message which started all this was a personal
one directed to Timo, it also shows the impersonality
of email.  The writer probably would never have used such
ill-tempered and insulting language in a voice telephone
conversation.

He also ought to hit "N" if it bothers him so much
rather than directing such a tirade at Timo.

Forrest Gehrke feg@dodger.att.com

jameson@jade.uucp (Kevin Jameson) (04/17/91)

Timo Salmi and other moderators clearly benefit the network environment.
IMHO, we should leave these people alone and not bite the hand that feeds us.

pjh@mccc.edu (Pete Holsberg) (04/18/91)

In article <1991Apr15.074642.3009@uwasa.fi> ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi) writes:
=> From: davidjl@eecs.ee.pdx.edu (David J Leitko)
=> To: ts@uwasa.fi
=> Date: Sun, 14 Apr 91 14:41:06 PDT
=>
=
=I'll answer these accusations also publicly since according to your
=message I keep insulting users of comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d (etc) with
=rude, obnoxious messages.  Be this as may, all feedback is naturally
=very welcome, also critical, and I appreciate the effort you have
=put into writing your feedback.  I am also pleased to hear that you
=yet consider some of my work to have been known to be useful.

He sends you email and you publish it?  C'mon, Timo -- get a thicker
skin.  You know that what you do is worthwhile; you don't need us to
rush to your defense when someone says something about you that you
don't like!!

(Yes, I know I should have emailed this, but sauce for the goose...  :-)

Pete
--
Prof. Peter J. Holsberg      Mercer County Community College
Voice: 609-586-4800          Engineering Technology, Computers and Math

IO92203@MAINE.BITNET (Scott Maxell) (04/18/91)

ENOUGH ALREADY!!! We all have our feelings on the matter, but let it go.
T.S. seems to think enuff has been said......... so do I.

//////////////////////////////////////////\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
+---------+ Scott Maxell  -- Bitnet   ->> IO92203 @ maine
+---------+ do, not what I tell it to do..."

wilson@issun3.stc.nl (Tony Wilson) (04/18/91)

In <1991Apr17.134446.2179@cbfsb.att.com> feg@cbnewsb.cb.att.com (forrest.e.gehrke) writes:

>Nor do I.  Timo is the epitome of diplomacy compared to many
>of the postings seen on this group.  When you consider that
>English is not Timo's native language he uses it more elegantly
>than many whose native tongue is English.

Unlike most Brits (like me) and presumably Americans, Timo was
probably taught how to speak/write English properly.

PS: Keep up the good work Timo, Keith, et al.

--
Tony Wilson (News Administrator)                 wilson@issun3.stc.nl,  or
SHAPE Technical Centre, The Hague, NL            ...!hp4nl!shapetc!wilson