[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Missing Parts

davek@lakesys.UUCP (Dave Kraft) (05/20/89)

Hi,
It would appear that our site did not recieve parts 4 and 7 of NetHack.
Could someone email them to me??  Thanks.

Dave
--
davek@lakesys.lakesys.com -OR- uunet!marque!lakesys!davek
"The mystical divinity of unashamed felinity.  'Round the cathedral rang

lever@linus.UUCP (Mark J. Lever) (07/12/89)

Hello,

could someone email or point me to an ftpable site for the following:

  solitile           part 1
  vpic               part 2
  configur utility   parts 1 and 2

Thanks in advance,

Mark
(lever@linus.uucp)

grinberg@bimacs.BITNET (Dennis Grinberg) (08/07/89)

We never received BGIDRV, BGIFNT, iau parts 3,4,5 and interrupt
listings 2,7. We have no way to FTP.  We would greatly appreciate
someone forwarding the missing stuff. (Order of importance:
BGI, interrupts, iau).

Thanks in advance
--
Dennis Grinberg, Math & CS Department, Bar-Ilan University, Ramat-Gan ISRAEL
BITNET:   grinberg@bimacs.bitnet

rommel@lan.informatik.tu-muenchen.dbp.de (Kai-Uwe Rommel) (12/05/89)

(To Rahul Dhesi.)

Well, it is ok to test programs before posting them and nobody (I think)
does have the time to use or even take a look at all posted programs.

But when programs are posted, they should be posted completely. In the
last weeks were the parts 5-9 of PC-Write Set C and part 2 of the APL
interpreter missing. I am not very interested in this programs (I never
used APL but it would be interesting to play with it). But it is a more
general problem: If parts are missing, the programs are without ANY
value for ANY people on the net.

It is a waste of money, when missing parts are not reposted so that
people interested in the particular programs could use it. When missing
parts are not reposted, do not post any more multi-part programs.

If missing parts are not reposted in the future (there were many missing
parts NOT reposted in the past: gawk, abmake ...) comp.binaries.ibm.pc
would no longer be worth reading it.

Kai Uwe Rommel,
Munich

rommel@lan.informatik.tu-muenchen.dbp.de

ahaley@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Alexander Haley) (12/07/89)

	I disagree about reposting.  I have never had a problem with
receiving every part of a multipart program here.  Most of the times when I
see a flood of messages about missing such-and-such a part, i have already
received those parts, albeit a little out of numerical order, but if you've
been subscribed to c.b.i.p. for a while, you will realize that things do not
always go out or come in in numerical order.  This happens with mail as
well.  Just between two of the machines that we have here at our site, I've
seen many times when two messages were sent from one to the other about an
hour apart, the second message can be received up to two hours before the
first one.
	I am always appalled at the number of repost requests that come out
immediately following a small batch of parts.  Like a request for parts 3
and 4 if parts one and two come one day without 3 and 4.  I think that
before asking for people to repost or to send them these parts they should
wait a couple of days and make sure that something didn't just get stuck
somewhere along the way.  It is not as though they will die without the
program right now, and if it saves net resources, yet still gets everything
to everyone, then it is good for everyone involved.
	Have patience people, things don't always happen the way you want
them to and that's even when you're paying for it, so when you're not, live
and go with it.  I think Rahul's doing a great job.  I know that I barely
have enough time to review for my own use or for the school's lab, the
programs that I get weekly, so I have no idea how he's doing it.  Whatever
it is he does, I want him to keep it up.
					-Alex

mbb@cbnewsh.ATT.COM (martin.b.brilliant) (12/07/89)

From article <3441@jarthur.Claremont.EDU>, by ahaley@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Alexander Haley):

> 	I disagree about reposting.  I have never had a problem with
> receiving every part of a multipart program here.....

Mr. Haley has about 2 dozen lines of generalization here, but I didn't
see him say he actually received the rest of pcwrite part C.  It hasn't
been a couple of days, it's been over two weeks.  Nobody during that
time has posted anything to say he got it.

Is Mr. Haley the rare person who actually received it?  If so, could he
email it to someone who is willing to email it to others, etc.?

M. B. Brilliant					Marty
AT&T-BL HO 3D-520	(201) 949-1858
Holmdel, NJ 07733	att!hounx!marty1 or marty1@hounx.ATT.COM

Disclaimer: Opinions stated herein are mine unless and until my employer
	    explicitly claims them; then I lose all rights to them.
Notice: Communication will cease 12/30/89 due to retirement.

aighb@castle.ed.ac.uk (Geoff Ballinger) (12/08/89)

In article <3441@jarthur.Claremont.EDU> ahaley@jarthur.UUCP (Alexander Haley) writes:
[...]

	This may be true for the US, but on this side of the Atlantic we
regularly miss large sections of postings. It is not just that they are
delayed, they often NEVER arrive

	Maybe there should be a eunet distributed group to carry reposts
of the missing parts?

-I think Rahul's doing a great job.

	I agree with this! Keep it up Rahul!

Geoff.
--

 Geoff Ballinger,                    JANET: Geoff@Uk.Ac.Ed
 CS/AI,                               ARPA: Geoff%Uk.Ac.Ed@nsfnet-relay.Ac.Uk

ahaley@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Alexander Haley) (12/10/89)

	I just checked and it is true that we did not get any of pcwrite
part C.  My posting was not a followup to only the latest articles asking for
reposts, it was in response to the letter written by the gentleman who
wanted Rahuls to start reposting immediately after it was found that some
sights hadn't received all of the parts of the latest post (at least this is
what I remeber of it).  I was complaining that I see about 10 requests for
parts 5-8 of xxx, the same day that we receive parts 1-4 of the same.  These
are clearly uncalled for, if in a few dasy, it does not show up, then ask
for someone to mail to you saying that they have it and then choose the
closest and ask them to mail it to you, or if there seem to be many (after a
week or so) that did not receive that part them possibly rahul can repost.
	I have also noticed this to happen when a couple of parts get hung
up somewhere and end up coming after a few parts from a different program.
I've been subscribed to c.b.i.p for about a year now, and it has not been at
all unusual to receive parts 1-3 and 5-6 of X and then parts 1-2 of Y and
THEN part 4 of X and then the rest of Y.  That is why I'm asking for people
to be patient.
	The posting that I responded to was general and it struck me such
that I wanted to respond in a general way.  If part C has not come yet and
it's been over a week since it had supposedly been posted, then requests for
it are legititamate.  I would feel this way even if we had received part C
and I would be happy to mail to someone saying that I have if I did.
					-Alex

ahaley@hmcvax.claremont.edu    |  Anyone know of a way to go to school
ahaley@jarthur.claremont.edu   |  without having to do a lot of work or
or Alex Haley, Fido 1:205/106  |  pay a lot of money?   :-)
 during breaks ONLY --^^^^^    |  It would make it a bit more enjoyable!

gis@datlog.co.uk ( Ian Stewartson ) (12/14/89)

ahaley@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Alexander Haley) writes:
>	I disagree about reposting.  I have never had a problem with
>receiving every part of a multipart program here.  Most of the times when I
>... Text deleted
>	Have patience people, things don't always happen the way you want
>them to and that's even when you're paying for it, so when you're not, live
>and go with it.

While in principle I agree with Alex that re-postings should be kept to a
minimum, after three weeks waiting for the rest of PC_Write (parts 6 to 9)
I think reposting would be acceptable especially since none of the European
sites and some American sites don't seem to have received it.  If one is
fortunate to have alternative methods of getting the posting fine, if not
you are dependent on re-postings.

If someone at a site doesn't receive a posting and obtains the information
via an alternative method, do they always pass that information down stream?
Probably not?

Still waiting for PC_Write C parts 6 - 9.

Ian Stewartson
Data Logic Ltd, Queens House, Greenhill Way, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 1YR, UK.
(Phone) +44 1 863 0383 (Telex) 888103 (Fax) +44 1 861 2010
	+44 81 863 0383 after May 1990.
(Network) gis@datlog.co.uk or ukc!datlog!gis

msschaa@cs.vu.nl (Schaap MS) (12/15/89)

What's happening with c.b.i.p.?

Since the (incomplete) postings of PC-Write and (can't remember)
we (in Holland) didn't get anything.

stevel@parns.nsc.com (Steve Liu) (08/17/90)

I don't have parts 1 and 2 of ms_sh162. Could someone email them to me?
Thanks,

Steve Liu

jloper@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Jarrod J. Loewen) (11/08/90)

Parts 8 and 12 of Fordsim and also part 4 of Grep15 did not seem to make it
here.  Could some kind soul please mail me these?

Many thanks!

      ________________________________    ________________________________
     / ______________________________ \  / ______________________________ \
    / /        Jarrod J Loewen       \ \/ /                              \ \
    \/    <jloper@ccu.umanitoba.ca>   \/ / Taken as a whole, the universe \/
    /\       Computer  Services       / /\is absurd. -Walter Savage Landor/\
    \ \____University of Manitoba____/ /\ \______________________________/ /
     \________________________________/  \________________________________/

rodemer@Informatik.TU-Muenchen.DE (Rodemer) (04/18/91)

Hi there !

I am missing some parts of 2 files I found in c.b.i.p .Did they never appear
or did I just not see them ? If so could someone please E-mail them to me ?
The missing parts are  graspdoc, grasp docs (part 02/02)
                                 xbd2_exe, Boulder Dash game (part 01/06)
                                 xbd2_exe, Boulder Dash game (part 02/06)
                                 xbd2_exe, Boulder Dash game (part 04/06)
Thanx in advance
Dirk
--

Dirk Rodemer         E-Mail : rodemer@flop.informatik.tu-muenchen.de