[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Warning for ProComm Users

cmcdonal@wsmr-emh03.army.mil (Chris McDonald ASQNC-TWS-R-SO) (04/10/91)

The US Army has a site license for ProComm, version 2.4.  Many of us
use this software to connect our personal computers to a variety of
hosts here at White Sands and elsewhere.

Recently ISC personnel discovered that a particular feature of ProComm,
which serves a perfectly legitimate purpose, can pose a security
hazard.  We contacted the vendor who advised us that it is not
possible to disable the legitimate feature.  In fact, denying this
feature would hamper some of you from doing your jobs.

We do not wish to describe the specific security problem, lest someone
for whatever reason decides to take advantage of it.  On the other
hand, we do want to ensure that you and your information have
sufficient protection against unauthorized disclosure.

For your own protection please COMPLETELY EXIT from ProComm whenever
you complete a terminal session.  This means returning to the MS-DOS
prompt.

w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL (Keith Petersen) (04/11/91)

Chris McDonald  ASQNC-TWS-R-SO <cmcdonal@wsmr-emh03.army.mil> writes
in a recent posting about security concerns with ProComm.

This security problem exists in all modem programs, including nearly
all versions of Kermit, which have the option of logging terminal
sessions.  In fact, there are very few programs that *don't* have that
feature.

This is really an access control issue.  The same security concerns
exist for text editors.  If the user is composing a text file and
leaves the computer without exiting the editor...  well, you see what
I mean.

I think the message should be reposted and entitled "Warning to modem
program users".  It should be pointed out that this problem exists on
any computer, not just MS-DOS computers.

An example:  A Unix host running Kermit to access a dial-out port.
The person initiating the call has the option in Unix Kermit to log
the entire terminal session to a file.  The log contains only incoming
text, so passwords which are not echoed will not be logged.

Keith
--
Keith Petersen
Internet: w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.Army.Mil    or     w8sdz@vela.acs.oakland.edu

dandrews@bilver.uucp (Dave Andrews) (04/11/91)

In article <W8SDZ.12676193677.BABYL@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL> cmcdonal@wsmr-emh03.army.mil (Chris McDonald ASQNC-TWS-R-SO) writes:
>Recently ISC personnel discovered that a particular feature of ProComm [2.4],
>which serves a perfectly legitimate purpose, can pose a security hazard.
> ... We do not wish to describe the specific security problem,

Though curiosity rages uncontrollably within me, I see the sense to
keeping mum, besides which I've upgraded all my PCs to PCP 2.0.  Do
you know if Procomm Plus version 2 contains the same "feature"?

Thanks,

David Andrews   tarpit!bilver!dandrews

Conrad.Bullock@comp.vuw.ac.nz (Conrad Bullock) (04/12/91)

In article <1991Apr11.122944.5139@bilver.uucp>, dandrews@bilver.uucp
(Dave Andrews) writes:
|> In article <W8SDZ.12676193677.BABYL@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>
|> cmcdonal@wsmr-emh03.army.mil (Chris McDonald ASQNC-TWS-R-SO) writes:
|> >Recently ISC personnel discovered that a particular feature of
|> ProComm [2.4],
|> >which serves a perfectly legitimate purpose, can pose a security
|> hazard.
|> > ... We do not wish to describe the specific security problem,
|>
|> Though curiosity rages uncontrollably within me, I see the sense to
|> keeping mum, besides which I've upgraded all my PCs to PCP 2.0.  Do
|> you know if Procomm Plus version 2 contains the same "feature"?

At a guess, I'd say the scroll-back buffer is what they're talking about...
--
Conrad Bullock                     | Domain:   conrad@comp.vuw.ac.nz
Victoria University of Wellington, |     or:   conrad@cavebbs.gen.nz

ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi) (04/12/91)

In article <1991Apr11.122944.5139@bilver.uucp> dandrews@bilver.uucp (Dave Andrews) writes:
:
>Though curiosity rages uncontrollably within me, I see the sense to
>keeping mum, besides which I've upgraded all my PCs to PCP 2.0.  Do
>you know if Procomm Plus version 2 contains the same "feature"?
:

1) It's not a Procomm feature, but a telecommunication feature.

2) Please let me present a pledge to stop this discussion right now.

Prof. Timo Salmi
Moderating at garbo.uwasa.fi anonymous ftp archives 128.214.12.37

jrc@brainiac.mn.org (Jeffrey Comstock) (04/16/91)

In article <1991Apr12.002356.24990@comp.vuw.ac.nz> Conrad.Bullock@comp.vuw.ac.nz (Conrad Bullock) writes:

>In article <1991Apr11.122944.5139@bilver.uucp>, dandrews@bilver.uucp
>(Dave Andrews) writes:
>|> ProComm [2.4],
>|> hazard.
>|>
>|> Though curiosity rages uncontrollably within me, I see the sense to
>|> keeping mum, besides which I've upgraded all my PCs to PCP 2.0.  Do
>|> you know if Procomm Plus version 2 contains the same "feature"?
>
>At a guess, I'd say the scroll-back buffer is what they're talking about...

Could be the log-to-disk function too....
--
Jeffrey R. Comstock

rschmidt@copper.ucs.indiana.edu (roy schmidt) (04/19/91)

In article <1991Apr16.010424.22198@brainiac.mn.org> jrc@brainiac.mn.org (Jeffrey Comstock) writes:
>In article <1991Apr12.002356.24990@comp.vuw.ac.nz> Conrad.Bullock@comp.vuw.ac.nz (Conrad Bullock) writes:

This is ridiculous!  Chris McDonald by now must be regretting that
he/she posted such a dumb note.

1.  For security purposes, any of you folks in the DoD who are reading
this should remember the series that has ensued as a lesson.  Any time
you discover what may be a security problem, don't advertise your
problem to the world (note that even Timo Salmi of Finland responded at
one point.)  Call your security people, and let them take care of it.
If you feel you *must* send out something or bust, then compose a memo
for local consumption, and then eat it and call your security people!

2.  Why continue speculating on this problem?  Let's drop this whole
thing and move back to the business for which this group was formed:
squandering government money!  :-)

Roy Schmidt, Capt, USAF (Retired)
Former security-obsessed officer

Roy Schmidt                 |  #include <disclaimer.h>
Indiana University          |  /* They are _my_ thoughts, and you can't
Graduate School of Business |     have them, so there!  */

shaunc@gold.gvg.tek.com (Shaun Case) (04/20/91)

In article <1991Apr19.030846.24013@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu> rschmidt@copper.ucs.indiana.edu (roy schmidt) writes:
>This is ridiculous!  Chris McDonald by now must be regretting that
>he/she posted such a dumb note.

I don't think it was dumb.

>1.  For security purposes, any of you folks in the DoD who are reading
>this should remember the series that has ensued as a lesson.  Any time
>you discover what may be a security problem, don't advertise your
>problem to the world (note that even Timo Salmi of Finland responded at
>one point.)  Call your security people, and let them take care of it.
>If you feel you *must* send out something or bust, then compose a memo
>for local consumption, and then eat it and call your security people!

I disagree completely.  The free flow of information should NEVER be
impeded, _especially_ not by the US military.  Are you trying to tell
me that a feature of Procomm (arguably the worst PC term program next
to Bitcom) is a national security issue?  Give me a break.

>2.  Why continue speculating on this problem?  Let's drop this whole
>thing and move back to the business for which this group was formed:
>squandering government money!  :-)

Ah, my 30% taxes at work.  I do prefer this to a number of alternatives. :)

>Roy Schmidt, Capt, USAF (Retired)
>Former security-obsessed officer

Shaun Case, hacker (unretired)
Current anti-security-obsessed taxpayer