[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Wanted: Robust 80x86 dis-assembler.

jones@acsu.buffalo.edu (terry a jones) (04/20/91)

	I'm looking for suggestions of where to find a good dis-assembler
for the 80x86 under MS-DOS.  Ideally it would handle instruction sets
from 8086 to 80486, as well as the corresponding FPU instructions.  It
also should be able to emit MASM source.  I have tried the following
implementations: ASMGEN, ID12, MD86, and SNOOP.  SNOOP was the only version
that I found to be even close to working.  The others imposed limits on
.EXE size, or assumed that the whole disassembly would fit in RAM, etc.
SNOOP V1.01 looks like it handles most programs ok, but suffers some brain
death when building a symbol table.....it creates symbol references that
don't get defined.

	Any pointers would be appreciated,
	Terry

Terry Jones   				{rutgers,uunet}!acsu.buffalo.edu!jones
SUNY at Buffalo ECE Dept.	  or: rutgers!ub!jones, jones@acsu.buffalo.edu

valley@gsbsun.uchicago.edu (Doug Dougherty) (04/20/91)

jones@acsu.buffalo.edu (terry a jones) writes:

>	I'm looking for suggestions of where to find a good dis-assembler
>for the 80x86 under MS-DOS.  Ideally it would handle instruction sets
>from 8086 to 80486, as well as the corresponding FPU instructions.  It
>also should be able to emit MASM source.  I have tried the following
>implementations: ASMGEN, ID12, MD86, and SNOOP.  SNOOP was the only version
>that I found to be even close to working.  The others imposed limits on
>.EXE size, or assumed that the whole disassembly would fit in RAM, etc.
>SNOOP V1.01 looks like it handles most programs ok, but suffers some brain
>death when building a symbol table.....it creates symbol references that
>don't get defined.

I think SOURCER is the trick here.  It's not shareware ($150 from V
Communications; I can't remember offhand how much I paid for it from
Programmer's Paradise) but it is very good.  I had looked at several
PD/shareware disassemblers before taking the plunge with SR and I was
not at all impressed with any of them.
--

	(Another fine mess brought to you by valley@gsbsun.uchicago.edu)