[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] FONOL400.ZIP - Generative Phonology rule simulator

evan@TXSIL.LONESTAR.ORG (Evan Antworth) (04/18/91)

I have uploaded to SIMTEL20:

pd1:<msdos.education>
FONOL400.ZIP    Generative Phonology rule simulator

The program was written by Frank R. Brandon, but as he does not
have network or email access, I am submitting it for him. It is
'freeware': anyone can give away copies as long as they do not
charge for the copies and as long as they give all the distribution
files in unmodified form.

Evan Antworth
Academic Computing Department
Summer Institute of Linguistics
7500 W. Camp Wisdom Road
Dallas, TX 75236
U.S.A.

phone: 214/709-2418
internet: evan@txsil.lonestar.org

wjin@superman.cs.uh.edu (Woochang Jin) (04/22/91)

In article <W8SDZ.12678972021.BABYL@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL> evan@TXSIL.LONESTAR.ORG (Evan Antworth) writes:
>I have uploaded to SIMTEL20:
>
>pd1:<msdos.education>
>FONOL400.ZIP    Generative Phonology rule simulator
>
>The program was written by Frank R. Brandon, but as he does not
>have network or email access, I am submitting it for him. It is
>'freeware': anyone can give away copies as long as they do not
>charge for the copies and as long as they give all the distribution
>files in unmodified form.

When people announce this kind of informations, I would appreciate if they
they also give brief summeries of the program so that I may determine
whether I ftp it or not.
Anyway, thanks to the poeple who try to share good programs with others.

Woochang Jin         Graduate Student,         Office - PGH574, PGH592
wjin@cs.uh.edu       System Administration.    Department of Computer Science
713-747-2130(home)   713-749-1748(office)      University of Houston

evan@txsil.lonestar.org (Evan Antworth) (04/23/91)

>>In article <W8SDZ.12678972021.BABYL@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL> evan@TXSIL.LONESTAR.ORG (Evan Antworth) writes:
>>I have uploaded to SIMTEL20:
>>
>>pd1:<msdos.education>
>>FONOL400.ZIP    Generative Phonology rule simulator
>>
>>The program was written by Frank R. Brandon, but as he does not
>>have network or email access, I am submitting it for him. It is
>>'freeware': anyone can give away copies as long as they do not
>>charge for the copies and as long as they give all the distribution
>>files in unmodified form.
>>

>When people announce this kind of informations, I would appreciate if they
>they also give brief summeries of the program so that I may determine
>whether I ftp it or not.
>Anyway, thanks to the poeple who try to share good programs with others.

Sorry, I didn't realize Keith would forward that brief message. As for the
program, if you don't know what "generative phonology" is, you don't want
Fonol. The author describes Fonol as a "phonological programming language".
To use Fonol, you write a phonological description using
"standard generative phonology" (a la Chomsky & Halle 1968, Sound
Pattern of English) and Fonol applies the rules to data. It will
likely be useful mostly for pedagogical purposes, but should also
be useful for developing and testing a phonological analysis.

It should be noted that the author of Fonol, Frank Brandon, is not
affiliated with SIL (Summer Institute of Linguistics), and Fonol
is not distributed or supported by SIL. Frank's address and phone
number are given in the documentation.

Fonol is available for IBM PC compatibles only. Sorry Mac users. If
someone would like to do a Mac port of it, I'm sure Frank will supply
the sources. I have briefly tried the program, but have not extensively
tested it.