[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Memory on the Kaypro PC

gottlieb@umbc5.umbc.edu (Robert Gottlieb) (04/17/91)

Hi all,

I have an old Kaypro PC 8088 with 768k RAM.  I was using a vdisk to
access the extra 128k of RAM.  I now no longer have a use for the
vdisk and would like to use the 128k as a cache, however I don't
know of any programs written for the Kaypro for such a purpose.
I was wondering if any exist and where they could be found.
I have ftp access and uucp access.  I have tried using regular
cache programs, but they don't access the extra 128k as it isn't
extended or expanded memory.  Any responses would be greatly
appreciated.  Please respond via email as I don't want to waste
any bandwidth on this here.  If anyone else has a similar problem
and would like copies of the responses I get, you can email me.
Thanks in advance.

/*  Robert Allen Gottlieb               Internet: gottlieb@umbc5.umbc.edu */
/*  					Bitnet:	  gottlieb@umbc2.umbc.edu */
/* "It is better to be pissed off than pissed on."                        */
/*  These opinions herein are not that of UMBC, but that of Jr, my cat,   */
/*  and me.                                                               */

root@gsy1.UUCP (Scott Yates N4BBB) (04/23/91)

In <1991Apr17.153106.2061@umbc3.umbc.edu> gottlieb@umbc5.umbc.edu (Robert Gottlieb) writes:

>I have an old Kaypro PC 8088 with 768k RAM.  I was using a vdisk to
>access the extra 128k of RAM.  I now no longer have a use for the
>vdisk and would like to use the 128k as a cache, however I don't
>know of any programs written for the Kaypro for such a purpose.

Robert, the HIMEM.SYS program that comes with Windows from Microsoft
will allow you to access the 64k above 640 that is otherwise
inaccessible, for a total of 704k. I owned a KPC when they first
came out and found it to be a very reliable machine. I don't know of
any device drivers that will allow the use of that rather unconventional
memory as expanded or extended ram. Hope this helps
Scott

Scott Yates, N4BBB    o    o    DOMAIN: root@gsy1.JOBSOFT.COM
Yates Pest Control     \  /     UUCP: ....uunet!mjbtn!gsy1!gsy
Rockvale,Tennessee     (OO)     TCP/IP: 44.34.50.24 HAM: n4bbb@w4hhy.ampr.org
Navy MARS  NNN0XRI      <>      VOICE: (615) 274-2156 home after 7PM
EC Rutherford ARES  "Bugs Are   WORK: (615) 256-0170  FAX: (615) 244-4640
Technical Director   My LIFE!"  Technology Express, Inc. Nashville TN
Novell Netware CNE              Certified Netware Engineer CIS: 76555,1265