[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] How to Get a Copyright

konopka@cbnewsk.att.com (raymond.konopka..jr) (04/22/91)

Hi Netters,

I am looking for some information regarding the process of obtaining
an Official Copyright for a Software Product.  I have been told that
the author of a program can simply place a Copyright notice in his/her
program.  Is this correct?  However, it seems to me that this process
lacks any legal enforcement.  Any information will be appreciated.

Thanks in Advance,

Ray Konopka
konopka@ihlpm.att.com

c60b-1eq@e260-1g.berkeley.edu (Noam Mendelson) (04/23/91)

In article <1991Apr22.164150.18672@cbnewsk.att.com> konopka@cbnewsk.att.com (raymond.konopka..jr) writes:
>I am looking for some information regarding the process of obtaining
>an Official Copyright for a Software Product.

This has nothing to do with c.b.i.p.d.  Followup to misc.legal.

--
+==========================================================================+
| Noam Mendelson   ..!ucbvax!web!c60b-1eq       | "I haven't lost my mind, |

ebergman@isis.cs.du.edu (Eric Bergman-Terrell) (04/23/91)

I guess you guys at Bell Labs just know how to patent software?  :->

But seriously folks - if you put a "valid" copyright notice in your
program (so it's visible to anyone who runs it), your program is copyrighted.

If you ** register ** your copyright by filling out form TX (request it
from the library of congress, wash dc), you will have additional rights.

Try to get a copy of Reemer & Elias' "Legal Care for your Software".

Terrell

brpleshek@miavx2.ham.muohio.edu (04/24/91)

>>probably post it to misc.legal

Flame on:
How rude, he probably doesn't know where to post it.
Flame off:

Material is copyrighted as soon as you create it.  A notice in your program is
all that is necessary.  What you are probably thinking about is a patent, in
which you have to register for.

Brian Pleshek
Miami University, Ohio
Systems Analysis

Bill Smargiassi <WXS103@psuvm.psu.edu> (04/25/91)

In article <1991Apr23.194528.460@miavx2.ham.muohio.edu>,
brpleshek@miavx2.ham.muohio.edu says:
>Material is copyrighted as soon as you create it.  A notice in your program is
>all that is necessary.  What you are probably thinking about is a patent, in
>which you have to register for.

Correct, as soon as you slap a copywright notice on a piece of work, it is
copywrighted.  However, if you want to actually defend it in court if you
feel you have been wronged, you must register it with some government office
before you release it.  Don't remember which office though.  It would help
a lot to involve a lawyer if you're really serious about the program.

Bill