[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] 386 compiler

msmith@att3b2.tricity.wsu.edu (Mark Smith) (04/26/91)

a while ago i saw a posting that gave the net address and directory
for a 386 c compiler.  Could that somebody please repost? I believe that
the site had the word 'grape' in the site name.

msmith@att3b2.tricity.wsu.edu

dsimmons@CS.Cornell.EDU (Daniel G. Simmons) (04/26/91)

msmith@att3b2.tricity.wsu.edu (Mark Smith) writes:

>a while ago i saw a posting that gave the net address and directory
>for a 386 c compiler.  Could that somebody please repost? I believe that
>the site had the word 'grape' in the site name.

Here, once again, is the ftp address for g++ ported to DOS by a wonderful
person who I have not yet had the chance to meet, but who has obviously
put a lot of time into essentially "giving" all of us some tools to do
"real" work on our PCs:

site: grape.ecs.clarkson.edu
directory: /pub/msdos/djgpp

In this directory there are two copies of the g++ compiler (which is
purportedly a full 386 compiler supporting c/c++, but which I have not
yet used).  One of these copies is a humongous zip file--about 2MB.
The other copy is a whole ton of little (32k or so) pieces of that zip
file.  There are also copies of the README from the zip and programs
to split or merge files (executables and source).

Hope this helps.

BTW -- This seems like a FAQ.  Further, maybe there is some way to make
FAQ archives more available and obvious for newcomers.  In comp.graphics
there is a message posted regularly that has as message something like:
READ THIS BEFORE YOU POST -- FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
It really gets your attention.  In this file could be placed some of the
really, really frequently asked questions, but the real point would be
clues about finding the FAQ files located elsewhere (garbo, and equivalent
places in the US, etc.)  Just a thought...  If this seems like a good idea
and no one else wants to do it, send me a whole bunch of e-mail with ideas
for the content (or post here), and I'll try to put something together.

--
Daniel G. Simmons  			dsimmons@cs.cornell.edu
Grass withers, the flower fades, but the word of our God

dj@ctron.com (DJ Delorie) (04/26/91)

In article <1991Apr26.132631.14583@cs.cornell.edu>, dsimmons@CS.Cornell.EDU (Daniel G. Simmons) writes:
> Here, once again, is the ftp address for g++ ported to DOS by a wonderful
> person who I have not yet had the chance to meet, but who has obviously
> put a lot of time into essentially "giving" all of us some tools to do
> "real" work on our PCs:
>
> site: grape.ecs.clarkson.edu
> directory: /pub/msdos/djgpp
>
> In this directory there are two copies of the g++ compiler (which is
> purportedly a full 386 compiler supporting c/c++, but which I have not
> yet used).  One of these copies is a humongous zip file--about 2MB.
> The other copy is a whole ton of little (32k or so) pieces of that zip
> file.  There are also copies of the README from the zip and programs
> to split or merge files (executables and source).

Close - its in ~ftp/pub/msdos/djgcc

The files:

djgpp.zip - 2.2M
djgppzip.000 through djgppzip.063 - 32K each
readme - get & read before downloading
merge.c
merge.exe
split.c
split.exe

This really is a 32-bit C and C++ compiler, full featured, with
graphics and a debugger and everything, sources included.

DJ
dj@ctron.com