[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] High memory mapping

c60b-1eq@e260-1a.berkeley.edu (Noam Mendelson) (04/26/91)

In article <1991Apr25.205919.3812@sj.ate.slb.com> poffen@SunOS (Russ Poffenberger) writes:
>In article <1991Apr22.113002.4147@sun1.ruf.uni-freiburg.de> hartnegg@sun1.ruf.uni-freiburg.de (Klaus Hartnegg) writes:
>>I have 645k free conventional memory with Dos 3.3 and Qemm 5.11 with
>>several devices and TSR's installed.
>This must be because you have a system, that allows you to map unused lower
>memory addresses as useable conventional memory, so that total base memory
>is something like 704K. This is kind of cheating since many people can't do
>this. (VGA, don't have the chipsets that allow it, etc).
        ^^^
You can remap up to 96K of your VGA or 256K EGA's memory as conventional
memory (I know of at least one shareware program which does this).

--
+==========================================================================+
| Noam Mendelson   ..!ucbvax!web!c60b-1eq       | "I haven't lost my mind, |

conner@buster.cps.msu.edu (Conner Christopher) (04/26/91)

In article <1991Apr25.235234.27452@agate.berkeley.edu> c60b-1eq@e260-1a.berkeley.edu (Noam Mendelson) writes:
>In article <1991Apr25.205919.3812@sj.ate.slb.com> poffen@SunOS (Russ Poffenberger) writes:

    ... stuff disintegrated ...

>You can remap up to 96K of your VGA or 256K EGA's memory as conventional
>memory (I know of at least one shareware program which does this).
>
>--
>+==========================================================================+
>| Noam Mendelson   ..!ucbvax!web!c60b-1eq       | "I haven't lost my mind, |
>| c60b-1eq@web.Berkeley.EDU                     |  it's backed up on tape  |
>| University of California at Berkeley          |  somewhere."             |

I, for one, would be extremely gracious to anyone who could provide me
with the name of a shareware package that would do this on my system.
I've tried most of the programs in the <MSDOS.SYSUTL> directory of
SIMTEL.  My system is about three years old, a 286, and I don't have
NEAT Chips (nothing to do with how nice they are)  Please write to me,
or if there's enough interest post it.  I have 1 MEG of memory and
can't use it all...  AAARRRGGGGGGHHHH!

                                           Chris Conner

P.S.  I have an EGA card and monitor...
--
    :  conner@buster.egr.msu.edu     :
    :  ccubed@dcssparc.cl.msu.edu    :

In article <1991Apr26.150200.15457@msuinfo.cl.msu.edu> conner@buster.cps.msu.edu (Conner Christopher) writes:
>In article <1991Apr25.235234.27452@agate.berkeley.edu> c60b-1eq@e260-1a.berkeley.edu (Noam Mendelson) writes:

     ...  more stuff disintegrated  ...

>I, for one, would be extremely gracious to anyone who could provide me
>with the name of a shareware package that would do this on my system.
>I've tried most of the programs in the <MSDOS.SYSUTL> directory of
>SIMTEL.  My system is about three years old, a 286, and I don't have
>NEAT Chips (nothing to do with how nice they are)  Please write to me,
>or if there's enough interest post it.  I have 1 MEG of memory and
>can't use it all...  AAARRRGGGGGGHHHH!
>
>                                           Chris Conner
>

>P.S.  I have an EGA card and monitor...
>--
>    :  conner@buster.egr.msu.edu     :
>    :  ccubed@dcssparc.cl.msu.edu    :
>    :  CCC                           :
>    :  "no god slayers aloud" - ME   :

If everyone mails to me, I'll compile the info and post it later...

Thanks                                    Chris Conner
                                            (again)

--
    :  conner@buster.egr.msu.edu     :
    :  ccubed@dcssparc.cl.msu.edu    :

hartung@crl.ucsd.edu (Jeff Hartung) (04/27/91)

In article <1991Apr25.235234.27452@agate.berkeley.edu> c60b-1eq@e260-1a.berkeley.edu (Noam Mendelson) writes:
<In article <1991Apr25.205919.3812@sj.ate.slb.com> poffen@SunOS (Russ Poffenberger) writes:
<>In article <1991Apr22.113002.4147@sun1.ruf.uni-freiburg.de> hartnegg@sun1.ruf.uni-freiburg.de (Klaus Hartnegg) writes:
<>>I have 645k free conventional memory with Dos 3.3 and Qemm 5.11 with
<>>several devices and TSR's installed.
<>This must be because you have a system, that allows you to map unused lower
<>memory addresses as useable conventional memory, so that total base memory
<>is something like 704K. This is kind of cheating since many people can't do
<>this. (VGA, don't have the chipsets that allow it, etc).
<        ^^^
<You can remap up to 96K of your VGA or 256K EGA's memory as conventional
<memory (I know of at least one shareware program which does this).

This only works until your VGA attempts to put itself into a graphics mode.
If you're using any video RAM as conventional RAM at this time and your
program can't trap the attempt to use a graphics mode, your system (or at
least your program) will probably come to an abrupt halt.

--
 --Jeff Hartung--
 Disclaimer: My opinions only, etc., etc., BLAH! BLAH! BLAH!...

c60b-1eq@e260-1g.berkeley.edu (Noam Mendelson) (04/27/91)

In article <18691@sdcc6.ucsd.edu> hartung@crl.ucsd.edu (Jeff Hartung) writes:
>In article <1991Apr25.235234.27452@agate.berkeley.edu> c60b-1eq@e260-1a.berkeley.edu (Noam Mendelson) writes:
><You can remap up to 96K of your VGA or 256K EGA's memory as conventional
><memory (I know of at least one shareware program which does this).
>This only works until your VGA attempts to put itself into a graphics mode.
>If you're using any video RAM as conventional RAM at this time and your
>program can't trap the attempt to use a graphics mode, your system (or at
>least your program) will probably come to an abrupt halt.

Well of course; I thought that was rather obvious.  You can't use the same
memory for two purposes.  However, the program I'm referring to will make
your system think that you only have a CGA installed.  It actually works
quite intelligently.

--