[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Silly question

gopalan@rhrk.uni-kl.de (Aschwin Gopalan [RHRK]) (04/26/91)

Hi you all!

I have a little problem right here:
I am trying to get some things for my PC out of comp.binaries.ibm.pc. The way
I am doing this must be wrong, because finally I can't get what I want. So if
one of you would be so kind and help a silly old man... It can't be so
difficult. Anyway, this is what I'm doing:

1.) I get my newsreader (nn) to save the different parts of the file (i.e. the
    articles) into one file.
2.) I run this file through uudecode on the UNIX System down here (SUN OS)
    I am doing this with 'uudecode <filename>' and what I get is a file with
    the extension .zoo
3.) Even though I am really not very bright (so it seems to me) I guess that
    this extension indicates to use the program 'zoo' to unpack the files I
    finally want to have. So I tried two things: first I used the UNIX -
    version of zoo with the command 'zoo x <filename without extension>'
    It worked fine with the first few files in the archive, but when it
    reached the first .exe file, it stopped with the message:

      Zoo: FATAL: Invalid or corrupted archive

4.) Then I tried the MS-DOS version of zoo on my PC (yes, I used binary mode
    when ftp'ing the files) and it did just the same.

5.) So I guessed there would be something wrong with this special file and
    tried a few other ones. But it worked with none of them.

So WHAT ON EARTH AM I DOING what is wrong!

Excuse me very much when this Question is asked every two days on this group,
but I am not reading it regulary and just need some of the things posted in
comp.binaries.ibm.pc.

So please help me!

Thanks a lot,
Aki
--
+--------------------------+-------------------------------------------------+
|  Aschwin Gopalan         | Universitaet Kaiserslautern                     |

kenns@prism.cs.orst.edu (Kenn R. Stump) (04/27/91)

In <1991Apr26.162015.6223@rhrk.uni-kl.de> gopalan@rhrk.uni-kl.de (Aschwin Gopalan [RHRK]) writes:

>Hi you all!
Heddo!  8-)

>I have a little problem right here:
[delete mode]

>1.) I get my newsreader (nn) to save the different parts of the file (i.e. the
>    articles) into one file.

1.5  Edit the file with vi or whatever you want to use and take out
     the article headers, leaving nothing but the initial
begin 644 FILENAME.EXT
     and the last
end
     line.  Strip out all others, but leave the 'meat' of the file in there.
     to totally explain myself, this is a "meat" line.
M,3(X+C(U,BXQ,S4N-"`@('=U87)C:&EV92YW=7-T;"YE9'4-"C(V+C(N,"XW8

     The line before the "end" line will probably be shorter than the
     other "meat" lines.  That's ok.
     Here's a valid, one-file long, uue file.
-----
section 1 of uuencode 4.13 of file UNZIP.ADR    by R.E.M.

begin 644 UNZIP.ADR
M66]U(&-A;B!G970@=6YZ:7`@=FEA(&%N;VYY;6]U<R!F='`@9G)O;2!S:6UTQ
M96PR,"YA<FUY+FUI;"!I;B!T:&4-"F1I<F5C=&]R>2!P9#$Z/&UI<V,N=6YIO
M>#X@87,@=6YZ:7`T,#,N=&%R+7H@*'=H:6-H('EO=2!W;W5L9"!R96YA;64-M
7"G1O('5N>FEP-#`S+G1A<BY:*2X-"AH-%
``
end
sum -r/size 69/251 section (from "begin" to "end")
sum -r/size 49223/158 entire input file
-----
     And if you can get the uudecoder produced by Richard E. Marks
     for your PC, it uses those last two lines to verify the integrity
     of the uue file.  Very nicely done!  It also does multi-file
     uudecodes.  This allows you to, from your newsreader, save the
     "articles" as bozo1.uue, bozo2.uue, bozo3.uue, bozo4.uue, etc...
     and you don't have to do any editing of the files.  you just have to
     tell it to "uudecode bozo1.uue" and it will figure out what has to be
     done from there.  Nice nice nice!  Bravo Richard!
     Anyhow, you can probably pick up the uue package from simtel20 or
     wuarchive.wustl.edu.  I know there are other mirror sites, but
     I haven't found the listing of them yet...
     Regards, - kenns@jacobs.cs.orst.edu
>Excuse me very much when this Question is asked every two days on this group,
>but I am not reading it regulary and just need some of the things posted in
>comp.binaries.ibm.pc.
	actually, it isn't.  :-)