[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] ARC version 7.02

flash@lehi3b15.csee.Lehigh.EDU (Stephen Corbesero) (04/25/91)

I've just gotten some arc files at home that seem to have been
compressed with ARC version 7.02, which I don't have.  Did this get
posted to the net yet, or will it be posted in the near future?

ralphs@seattleu.edu (Ralph Sims) (04/26/91)

flash@lehi3b15.csee.Lehigh.EDU (Stephen Corbesero) writes:

> I've just gotten some arc files at home that seem to have been
> compressed with ARC version 7.02, which I don't have.  Did this get
> posted to the net yet, or will it be posted in the near future?

It won't be, either.  ARC 7.02 is a commercial package, backward
compatible (insert smiley's if you want) with previous versions
which aren't forward-compatible with 7.02.  Maybe Vern Buerg, et al,
will release an ARCE that'll help.  If you got the files from someone
you can contact directly, have them give them to you in a self-extracting
archive (if ARC 7.02's the only thing they have).

--
                    halcyon!ralphs@seattleu.edu
  The 23:00 News and Mail Service - +1 206 292 9048 - Seattle, WA USA

w8sdz@rigel.acs.oakland.edu (Keith Petersen) (04/27/91)

flash@lehi3b15.csee.Lehigh.EDU (Stephen Corbesero) writes:
>I've just gotten some arc files at home that seem to have been
>compressed with ARC version 7.02, which I don't have.  Did this get
>posted to the net yet, or will it be posted in the near future?

No.  It's a commercial program.

You can use this file, available from SIMTEL20, to extract the files
from that ARC made by v7.02.

Directory PD1:<MSDOS.ARC-LBR>
 Filename   Type Length   Date    Description
ARCE40G.ZIP   B    9329  910416  V.Buerg's fast ARC extraction program

This file is also available from Detroit Download Central.

Keith
--
Keith Petersen
Maintainer of SIMTEL20's MSDOS, MISC & CP/M archives [IP address 26.2.0.74]

roy%cybrspc@cs.umn.edu (Roy M. Silvernail) (04/28/91)

flash@lehi3b15.csee.Lehigh.EDU (Stephen Corbesero) writes:

> I've just gotten some arc files at home that seem to have been
> compressed with ARC version 7.02, which I don't have.  Did this get
> posted to the net yet, or will it be posted in the near future?

Not likely. 7.02 is commercial software from SEA. I've heard that they
include a freely redistributable decompressor with the package, so I'd
ask the person that provided the files for the unpacker. (then I'd
re-pack them in a more politically correct archiver, but that's another
story... :-)

I've also heard that ARC 7.02 isn't selling very well.

--
Roy M. Silvernail --  roy%cybrspc@cs.umn.edu - OR-  cybrspc!roy@cs.umn.edu
  perl -e '$x = 1/20; print "Just my \$$x! (adjusted for inflation)\n"'

ken@sugra.uucp (Kenneth Ng) (04/29/91)

In article <FwP311w164w@cybrspc>, roy%cybrspc@cs.umn.edu (Roy M. Silvernail) writes:
: I've also heard that ARC 7.02 isn't selling very well.

I've heard that it is selling extremely well.

--
Kenneth Ng
Please reply to ken@hertz.njit.edu until this machine properly recieves mail.