[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] compressing gifs

hartlemp@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Michael P Hartley) (04/28/91)

   Is there some way to compress/archive gif files?  I have
tried the normal archivers (zip, arc, lzh, ect...) and
they can only store the gif.  No compression.  I would
appreciate pointers to some gif archiver.

 *  \   |   /         "A 40 kW Full-Spec EMR in every satellite             *
 *    \ | /            by the year 1995!"                                   *
 *   ---*-----------------------------==============>>>>>>>>>>>>|||||||||   *
 *    / | \            Michael Hartley         (Yes, I did melt that)       *
 *  /   |   \          Purdue University                                    *
 *   hartley@maxwell.physics.purdue.edu       hartlemp@mentor.cc.purdue.edu *
 *   hartley@bard7.cs.purdue.edu              me@my.self.and.I              *

elmanad@leland.Stanford.EDU (Adam Elman) (04/28/91)

In article <11442@mentor.cc.purdue.edu> hartlemp@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Michael P Hartley) writes:

>   Is there some way to compress/archive gif files?  I have
>tried the normal archivers (zip, arc, lzh, ect...) and
>they can only store the gif.  No compression.  I would
>appreciate pointers to some gif archiver.

My understanding is that the reason that zip, arc, lzh etc. cannot
compress a gif image is that the gif file format itself is already
compressed, and other compression software cannot compress it further.

Adam Elman
elmanad@leland.stanford.edu

pedro@cs.mcgill.ca (Sandro MAZZUCATO) (04/28/91)

In article <1991Apr27.215625.7689@leland.Stanford.EDU> elmanad@leland.Stanford.EDU (Adam Elman) writes:
>My understanding is that the reason that zip, arc, lzh etc. cannot
>compress a gif image is that the gif file format itself is already
>compressed, and other compression software cannot compress it further.
>
>Adam Elman
>elmanad@leland.stanford.edu

Yes in fact it is using the LZW algorithm for compressing the image !

Sandro Mazzucato
Internet : pedro@cs.mcgill.ca

BSc, U2, Computer Science.
McGill University - Montreal, Quebec, Canada

bewhite@matt.ksu.ksu.edu (Goomee Goomee) (04/28/91)

elmanad@leland.Stanford.EDU (Adam Elman) writes:

>In article <11442@mentor.cc.purdue.edu> hartlemp@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Michael P Hartley) writes:
>>
>>   Is there some way to compress/archive gif files?  I have
>>
>My understanding is that the reason that zip, arc, lzh etc. cannot
>compress a gif image is that the gif file format itself is already
>compressed, and other compression software cannot compress it further.
I have seen a way to compress gif files.  I recently downloaded a program
from a BBS call gif2jpg.  This converts gif files to the jpeg format.  On the
image I used, this gave me a savings of about 40%.  However, the jpeg format is
not directly viewable, the conversion is VERY time consuming, and the
conversion does not actually give you back the EXACT same image.  Some
degredation occurs, so I don't use it.  But if you want to compress some
images for later viewing and you don't care about a little loss in quality,
you can use it.
--
Bruce White (bewhite@matt.ksu.ksu.edu) - I know what I like -
            (Home: (913)776-2366)        And I learn what I know.

c60b-1eq@e260-1g.berkeley.edu (Noam Mendelson) (04/28/91)

In article <11442@mentor.cc.purdue.edu> hartlemp@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Michael P Hartley) writes:
>   Is there some way to compress/archive gif files?  I have
>tried the normal archivers (zip, arc, lzh, ect...) and
>they can only store the gif.  No compression.  I would
>appreciate pointers to some gif archiver.

The problem with GIF's is that they're already compressed.  General-purpose
archivers can't compress them much tighter.  However, I know of at least
one shareware program which will convert GIF files to JPG format, yielding
approximately 50% compression.  Of course, these JPG files can't be
displayed directly, but there is a significant reduction in the size of the
GIF.
Followup to comp.compression.

--
+==========================================================================+
| Noam Mendelson   ..!ucbvax!web!c60b-1eq       | "I haven't lost my mind, |

hartlemp@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Michael P Hartley) (04/29/91)

   I would like to thank all of the people who responded to my post.
to date, there have been 37 different responses. Everyone said that
gifs are already compressed.
  - thanks again.  Mike.

dmerrill@hpdtczb.HP.COM (David Merrill) (04/30/91)

In comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d, hartlemp@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Michael P Hartley) writes:

>   Is there some way to compress/archive gif files?  I have
>tried the normal archivers (zip, arc, lzh, ect...) and
>they can only store the gif.  No compression.  I would
>appreciate pointers to some gif archiver.

> *  \   |   /         "A 40 kW Full-Spec EMR in every satellite             *
> *    \ | /            by the year 1995!"                                   *
> *    / | \            Michael Hartley         (Yes, I did melt that)       *
> *  /   |   \          Purdue University                                    *
> *   hartley@maxwell.physics.purdue.edu       hartlemp@mentor.cc.purdue.edu *
> *   hartley@bard7.cs.purdue.edu              me@my.self.and.I              *

GIF's are already compressed.  There, that was easy!

Dave