[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] A look at GeoClock and 1pass

ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi) (04/28/91)

Sun 28-Apr-91: Acquired from Simtel20 the GeoClock set of World map
day/night terminator graphical display facilities featuring
/pc/astronomy/geoclk42.zip.  Its an excellent program, but its new
user guidance is weak.  To try to figure out what can be done with
the program is veritable detective work, even with a careful perusal
of the manual.  Nevertheless, definitely worth a look.
   Should you be interested in knowing where the heck Vaasa is,
include the following line into geoclock.dat: 63.06 21.37 Vaasa

Sun 28-Apr-91: Acquired /pc/diskutil/1pass1.zip from Simtel20.  Its
purpose is to replace MsDos diskcopy program which requires several
changes of disks for larger floppies and diskettes.  Useful.  I had
no problems with 1pass when the target disk was already formatted,
but the program couldn't cope with an unformatted 1.2K floppy on my
386.

Prof. Timo Salmi
Moderating at garbo.uwasa.fi anonymous ftp archives 128.214.12.37

valley@gsbsun.uchicago.edu (Doug Dougherty) (04/30/91)

ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi) writes:

>Sun 28-Apr-91: Acquired /pc/diskutil/1pass1.zip from Simtel20.  Its
>purpose is to replace MsDos diskcopy program which requires several
>changes of disks for larger floppies and diskettes.  Useful.  I had
>no problems with 1pass when the target disk was already formatted,
>but the program couldn't cope with an unformatted 1.2K floppy on my
>386.

Yes, but it comes with no documentation.  Both of the .DOC files that
are in the ZIP contain no user instructions.  The 1PASS.DOC file is just
a listing of assembler routines.  This looks like another one of those
programs that was really just an exercise for the author to learn
assembler; i.e., the main point is that he learned assembler by writing
this program, not that the program does anything useful.

I'm not bitching, yet.  Its just that I don't quite feel like diving
into the program with out some kind of user instructions.
--

	(Another fine mess brought to you by valley@gsbsun.uchicago.edu)

w8sdz@rigel.acs.oakland.edu (Keith Petersen) (04/30/91)

valley@gsbsun.uchicago.edu (Doug Dougherty) writes:
>ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi) writes:
>>Sun 28-Apr-91: Acquired /pc/diskutil/1pass1.zip from Simtel20.  Its
>>purpose is to replace MsDos diskcopy program which requires several
>>changes of disks for larger floppies and diskettes.  Useful.  I had
>>no problems with 1pass when the target disk was already formatted,
>>but the program couldn't cope with an unformatted 1.2K floppy on my
>>386.
>
>Yes, but it comes with no documentation.  Both of the .DOC files that
>are in the ZIP contain no user instructions.  The 1PASS.DOC file is just
>a listing of assembler routines.  This looks like another one of those
>programs that was really just an exercise for the author to learn
>assembler; i.e., the main point is that he learned assembler by writing
>this program, not that the program does anything useful.
>
>I'm not bitching, yet.  Its just that I don't quite feel like diving
>into the program with out some kind of user instructions.

Why not send a message to the author about this?  His address is in
the documentation.

  "If anyone wants the ASM and/or C source, drop me a note at CompuServe
  M. Blanco (70206,1177). I will also welcome all comments."

That translates to:  70206.1177@compuserve.com

Give him a chance to respond before you "go public".

Keith
--
Keith Petersen
Maintainer of SIMTEL20's MSDOS, MISC and CP/M archives  -  [192.88.110.20]

ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi) (04/30/91)

In article <1991Apr29.181134.4668@midway.uchicago.edu> valley@gsbsun.uchicago.edu (Doug Dougherty) writes:
:
>Yes, but it comes with no documentation.  Both of the .DOC files that
>are in the ZIP contain no user instructions.  The 1PASS.DOC file is just
>a listing of assembler routines.  This looks like another one of those
>programs that was really just an exercise for the author to learn
>assembler; i.e., the main point is that he learned assembler by writing
>this program, not that the program does anything useful.
>
>I'm not bitching, yet.  Its just that I don't quite feel like diving
>into the program with out some kind of user instructions.
:

One of my constant main gripes against many programs is a lousy user
interface and/or a bad or missing documentation.  Especially in
shareware it often surprises me that the program has obviously not
have even been subjected to any kind of "idiot test", that is given
to someone who has never used it before, for getting feedback before
releasing.  Time and time again I have seen programs that are vey
difficult (sometimes next to impossible) to figure out for the first
time, but which are very useful if one does the detective work, and
finds a way to use the program (GeoClock is a prime example of
this).
   I have a "ten minute rule": If an experienced user is still stuck
after the first ten minutes, the program is badly done however good
it turns out later.  Fortunately the general trend has been slightly
for the better.

As to 1pass1.zip I fully agree with you about lousy documentation,
but I disgree with the contention that it doesn't do anything
useful.  On the contrary this kind of a program is very useful, and
if one ignores the flaws of 1pass, it is a very wortwhile program
for copying diskettes.  Certainly worth taking a look at, and much
unfulfilled potential in it.

Prof. Timo Salmi
Moderating at garbo.uwasa.fi anonymous ftp archives 128.214.12.37

valley@gsbsun.uchicago.edu (Doug Dougherty) (04/30/91)

ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi) writes:

>   I have a "ten minute rule": If an experienced user is still stuck
>after the first ten minutes, the program is badly done however good
>it turns out later.  Fortunately the general trend has been slightly
>for the better.

>As to 1pass1.zip I fully agree with you about lousy documentation,
>but I disgree with the contention that it doesn't do anything
>useful.  On the contrary this kind of a program is very useful, and
>if one ignores the flaws of 1pass, it is a very wortwhile program
>for copying diskettes.  Certainly worth taking a look at, and much
>unfulfilled potential in it.

I like the "ten minute rule".  With all the available PD/shareware, you
need something quick to filter out probably junk.

As for 1PASS, yes, the idea is good, but there is TCOPY, which seems to
be a much more complete and professionally done product.  I just didn't
see any reason to give 1PASS another look.
--

	(Another fine mess brought to you by valley@gsbsun.uchicago.edu)