[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] WCED -vs- CED

waylacm2@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Mooch) (04/26/91)

    Did anyone else look at WCED and receive a few surprises?
I put it together thinking that it might be a newer version of
CED that i have used for years.  Close, but no prize for second.
What i did find was a good program to do command editing and
history and (pleasantly suprising) filename completion.  The last
was especially happy since i'm currently using two programs to
accomplish a similar effect, namely command line history and
filename completion.
    What i didn't find was any mechonism at all for command
aliasing (synonyms).  This was a great disapointment.  CED (or WCED)
with command editing, history and aliasing (all of which CED
has) as well as filename completion (WCED has it) would be a
truly wonderful utility.
    Oh well, back to buoying myself up with yet more pieces of
shattered hopes.

--
 _ _ _                | waylacm2@mentor.sage.cc.edu  (Greg Mowczko)
' ) ) )            /  |

zuazaga@ucunix.san.uc.edu (Humberto Oritz-Zuazaga) (04/28/91)

PC Magazine's CMDEDIT utility has the features you want, and is free to
boot.  It completes file or directory names, has aliases and
pseudo-batch files, a command history, and full command line editing.

--
Humberto Ortiz-Zuazaga                               University of Cincinnati
zuazaga@ucunix.san.uc.edu                             Physiology & Biophysics

bruceb@informix.com (Bruce Barr) (04/29/91)

In article <11357@mentor.cc.purdue.edu> waylacm2@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Mooch) writes:

First paragraph deleted.

>    What i didn't find was any mechonism at all for command
>aliasing (synonyms).  This was a great disapointment.  CED (or WCED)
>with command editing, history and aliasing (all of which CED
>has) as well as filename completion (WCED has it) would be a
>truly wonderful utility.
>    Oh well, back to buoying myself up with yet more pieces of
>shattered hopes.

I am using CMDEDIT which was in PCMagazine a few issues back.  Does every-
thing you want.  I am not sure about access via FTP.  It is on CI$.

Hope this helps,

Bruce

ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi) (04/30/91)

In article <1991Apr29.140004.17328@informix.com> bruceb@informix.com (Bruce Barr) writes:
:
>I am using CMDEDIT which was in PCMagazine a few issues back.  Does every-
>thing you want.  I am not sure about access via FTP.  It is on CI$.

/pc/pcmag/vol9n16.zip

Prof. Timo Salmi
Moderating at garbo.uwasa.fi anonymous ftp archives 128.214.12.37

nadkarni@ashok.dec.com (Ashok P. Nadkarni) (04/30/91)

In article <1991Apr30.040224.18728@uwasa.fi>, ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi) writes...
>In article <1991Apr29.140004.17328@informix.com> bruceb@informix.com (Bruce Barr) writes:
>:
>>I am using CMDEDIT which was in PCMagazine a few issues back.  Does every-
>>thing you want.  I am not sure about access via FTP.  It is on CI$.
>
>/pc/pcmag/vol9n16.zip

I am the author of CMDEDIT. I am planning on submitting it to c.b.i.p. as soon
as I figure out how to do so! The PC Mag vol9n16.zip archive may have a
version that had 2 bugs - it did not like initialization files ending in a ^Z,
and would not install itself in some instances because it would find itself
in a disk cache and think it was already loaded into memory. The fixed version
is on CI$ and PC Magnet but the original vol9n16 had the buggy one. I'm not
sure if they ever updated that archive or not.

/Ashok Nadkarni