[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Love's Labours Lost

garym@cognos.uucp@uunet.uu.net (Gary Murphy) (05/02/91)

I think the same rule applies here as applies to going to a jazz
concert (or any other concert for that matter):  If you don't like
what the author has so painstakingly produced, don't use it.

As a self-confessed shareware addict, I average at least a megabyte
a week in downloaded programs, some just to see what they do, but
most with at least some intention of applying the program to some
problem.  True to the old axiom that 90% of anything is junk, I
generally find I delete the bulk of these from my disk within hours
of downloading them and a large percent of the others will go after
a few days of tests --- that IS the purpose of shareware: To allow
the consumer to verify that the software is what they want BEFORE
they buy.  Now if the product is crippled, how am I to know it will
do the job?

And my results?  Odd results, indeed.  I _have_ consciously rejected
software solely for excessive nagging, regardless of utility (such as
with the otherwise possibly useful pctag package) and for cripplings
(I was so sad to find the recent incarnations of WSSINDEX to be too
crippled to test), but even with the remaining (admittedly majority)
programs, I find more and more that the best conceived, best implemented
and best supported programs are FREE.  Someone in marketting, please
explain this to me!  I get 'instant' support via e-mail, usually full
source code and at worst the only restriction is a GNU-ish copylefting.

Urging the consumer to pay for something they have obtained anonymously
for free is a tricky business, but how else can a programmer survive?
As a shareware author, my approach was (a) write a program I myself
needed and (b) never expect to see a cent --- needless to say, I didn't
quit my day job!

There are other approaches: some authors have a pyramid-scheme whereby
any copies registered are tagged and then, if a new registration comes
in showing it to have been copied from the first one, the registered
owner of the first one gets a commission on the sale.

Rather than bitch on about whether Miles should stay away from keyboards
or whether Madonna can still sing anything from her first albumn, I
think it would be more productive if we accept new software for what it
is, take-it-or-leave-it, and if we want a discussion ... why not try to
come up with an ALTERNATIVE scheme?

--
o| Gary Murphy                                                            |o
 |------------------------------------------------------------------------|

wjin@csun10.cs.uh.edu (Woochang Jin) (05/02/91)

Let us be generous to the shareware writers
(Well, in fact, they are generous to share their programs).
1PASS is just the first version.
I also found that 1PASS is not really a matured program but I think that
it is still useful.  I exepect that the author would release 1PASS2
which might be more useful.

'Junk' is relative.
To me, Window 3.0 ($99 paid) is a junk.  I don't use it.
On the other hand, EmTeX (a free typsetting tool TeX ported to DOS by E.Matt)
is the most valuable program to me.   Also, Some of the people who use
McWrite intensively, might feel that EmTeX is a junk.
I think that almost sharewares are useful in some particular situations,
for some particular users.

If there is one thing that I would like to ask shareware programmers,
it would be that when they announce/upload their programs they would
document clearly (and hopefully shortly) what it is, what it does, how,
and why, for whom, when it is useful.

 ____   ____  ____ ____________________________________________________________
 |  |   |  |  |  |  Woochang Jin (wjin@cs.uh.edu)     Office - PGH574, PGH592
 |  |   |  |__|  |  Grad, System Administration.      Wed,Fri:  9:00-1:00
 |  |   |        |  Department of Computer Science    713-749-1748 (office)
 \  |---|  |--|  |  University of Houston             713-747-2130 (home)
  \____/|__|  |__| ____________________________________________________________

dsims@uceng.UC.EDU (david l sims) (05/02/91)

garym@cognos.uucp@uunet.uu.net (Gary Murphy) writes:

>I think the same rule applies here as applies to going to a jazz
>concert (or any other concert for that matter):  If you don't like
>what the author has so painstakingly produced, don't use it.

[confessions of a shareware junkie deleted]

>Now if the product is crippled, how am I to know it will do the job?

It's my turn to throw in my two cents. I must admit that I am tired of people
saying how much they hate "crippleware" or "beggarware" or "guiltware".
Have you heard of the phrase "beggars can't be choosers?" Where else do you
get _essentially_ free software? Why aren't you slamming Microsoft
because one of thier "working models" isn't the full-blown program.
Why, it's XXX-WARE! I think I'll call it TEMPT-WARE. Why that darned
Bill Gates! He sent me TEMPT-WARE!

When I recently bought Borland C++, how was I to know it did the job? I
depended on Borland's reputation and reviewers' comments. After purchasing it,
I have mixed feelings. I wish the BC++ IDE was actually a Windows app. Anyway,
the point is, I took a chance. I'd rather not have to take a chance, but I
did since Borland hasn't yet become enlightened to the advantages
of shareware :-).

>Rather than bitch on about whether Miles should stay away from keyboards
>or whether Madonna can still sing anything from her first albumn, I
>think it would be more productive if we accept new software for what it
>is, take-it-or-leave-it, and if we want a discussion ... why not try to
>come up with an ALTERNATIVE scheme?

I'm for the discussion of an ALTERNATIVE scheme. I actually tried it once. I
wrote a BBS that allowed DOS programs to be run over the modem. The caller
could try out the program, but he couldn't get his hands on it. It was a bit
slow in that the ANSI escape sequences I used would be too slow if there were
windows (scrolling regions) involved. For programs that made heavy use of
windows, it was too impractical. After running a demo and obtaining some
literature on a piece of software, the caller could order it online. BTW, I
still have all the C/8086 assembler code. I think I'll release it as
...TEMPT-WARE!!!

Any comments on this scheme or other ALTERNATIVE schemes?

David Sims
dsims@uceng.uc.edu

npw@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Nicholas Wilt) (05/03/91)

In article <8263@uceng.UC.EDU> dsims@uceng.UC.EDU (david l sims) writes:
>literature on a piece of software, the caller could order it online. BTW, I
>still have all the C/8086 assembler code. I think I'll release it as
>...TEMPT-WARE!!!
>
>Any comments on this scheme or other ALTERNATIVE schemes?

Sounds similar to the common scheme for games and libraries--freely
distribute objects and executables, sell the source.  Since a library
is much more useful with source, but the potential user can evaluate
its performance before buying, this seems like a good approach for
shareware authors willing to part with source.

>David Sims
>dsims@uceng.uc.edu

--Nick
  npw@eleazar.dartmouth.edu