[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Shareware is junk

rubin@visual1.jhuapl.edu (Don Rubin) (05/01/91)

FLAME ON

I just downloaded a handfull of shareware programs
from CICA. They fell into two catagories; those that
had little or no functionallity -and- those whose
registration was so obnoxious that I couldn't even
run them to see if they were worth the fee.

I have no problem with the first type. When someone
has a good idea it takes time and feedback to come up
with a good implementation. However, I am pretty
disgusted with so called commercial quality programs
that annoy you to death BEFORE you even get to use them.

My suggestion to budding shareware programmers is give
us a MOSTLY fully functional program with no stupid
order forms, warning boxes, etc. To insure registration
just reduce the functionallity on a few functions
(eg. allow it to print only a few pages, limit the
size of the image, etc.). If I like what the program
does, I'll pay the registration fee to get the full
functionallity, manual, support, updates, etc.

Try to act like a professional programmer before you
act like a bean counter and you will end up with a better
product and more people will want to pay for it.

FLAME OFF

everett@hpcvra.cv.hp.com. (Everett Kaser) (05/01/91)

/ rubin@visual1.jhuapl.edu (Don Rubin) writes...
>FLAME ON
>My suggestion to budding shareware programmers is give
>us a MOSTLY fully functional program with no stupid
>order forms, warning boxes, etc. To insure registration
>just reduce the functionallity on a few functions
>(eg. allow it to print only a few pages, limit the
>size of the image, etc.).
>Try to act like a professional programmer before you
>act like a bean counter and you will end up with a better
>product and more people will want to pay for it.
>FLAME OFF

I agree with your flame (for the most part), but the problem with your
suggestion is that many other people hate IT, calling that type of product
"crippleware".

Everett Kaser                   Hewlett-Packard Company
...hplabs!hp-pcd!everett        work: (503) 750-3569   Corvallis, Oregon
everett%hpcvra@hplabs.hp.com    home: (503) 928-5259   Albany, Oregon

mgjones@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu (Mike (Felix) Jones) (05/01/91)

In article <1991Apr30.174659.9082@aplcen.apl.jhu.edu>, rubin@visual1.jhuapl.edu (Don Rubin) writes:
> FLAME ON
   [...]
> Try to act like a professional programmer before you
> act like a bean counter and you will end up with a better
> product and more people will want to pay for it.
>
> FLAME OFF

Like the Windows comm program that pops up that registration info everytime
you try to do something.  I got so sick of it I said bag it and never really
got to try it out to see if I liked it or not.

-Mike Jones-
Systems Analysis
Miami University (of Ohio)

chip@osh3.OSHA.GOV (Chip Yamasaki) (05/01/91)

In <1991Apr30.174659.9082@aplcen.apl.jhu.edu> rubin@visual1.jhuapl.edu (Don Rubin) writes:

>FLAME ON

>I just downloaded a handfull of shareware programs
>from CICA. They fell into two catagories; those that
>had little or no functionallity -and- those whose
>registration was so obnoxious that I couldn't even
>run them to see if they were worth the fee.

>I have no problem with the first type. When someone
>has a good idea it takes time and feedback to come up
>with a good implementation. However, I am pretty
>disgusted with so called commercial quality programs
>that annoy you to death BEFORE you even get to use them.

I have used many shareware programs and have NEVER run into one that
annoys me to death.  I have seen some that remind you to register and or
display a copyright screen while loading.  Some programs even ask that
you press a key to continue,  HORRORS!  How awful of them.

Would you be serious.  That is certainly not too much to ask.  even
running you through several screens is not THAT big a deal.

>My suggestion to budding shareware programmers is give
>us a MOSTLY fully functional program with no stupid
>order forms, warning boxes, etc. To insure registration
>just reduce the functionallity on a few functions
>(eg. allow it to print only a few pages, limit the
>size of the image, etc.). If I like what the program
>does, I'll pay the registration fee to get the full
>functionallity, manual, support, updates, etc.

Don't you DARE listen to this absurd advice!  The Association of
ShareWare Professionals states that ShareWare programmers should
distribute completely working, fully functional programs with no feature
disabled.  This is a wonderful concept.  For making such a bad
suggestion I sure hope that someday you run into a shareware programmer
that takes your advice and maybe you'll get bit by that bug that occurs
on that 11th page you couldn't print with the unregistered version.

When I get a shareware program I know what I'm getting when I register.
I can test everything!  I can work with the full program.  I can see all
of the features.  And, the only difference between what I got and what I
get when I register is support, updates, and maybe a new disk and
printed manual.  Oh, and yes, I get to use the program without being
reminded to register.

>Try to act like a professional programmer before you
>act like a bean counter and you will end up with a better
>product and more people will want to pay for it.

They are not only acting like professional programmers, but many of them
are doing quite well.  They are also producing some of the best software
I've ever seen!

>FLAME OFF
Charles "Chip" Yamasaki
chip@oshcomm.osha.gov

ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi) (05/01/91)

:
>My suggestion to budding shareware programmers is give
>us a MOSTLY fully functional program with no stupid
>order forms, warning boxes, etc. To insure registration
:

The lighter side of things is the terminology that has ensued like
  begware
  crippleware
  nagware
And there must be more in the offing.

Prof. Timo Salmi
Moderating at garbo.uwasa.fi anonymous ftp archives 128.214.12.37

c60b-1eq@e260-1g.berkeley.edu (Noam Mendelson) (05/01/91)

In article <40790008@hpcvra.cv.hp.com.> everett@hpcvra.cv.hp.com. (Everett Kaser) writes:
>/ rubin@visual1.jhuapl.edu (Don Rubin) writes...
>>FLAME ON
>>My suggestion to budding shareware programmers is give
>>us a MOSTLY fully functional program with no stupid
>>order forms, warning boxes, etc. To insure registration
>>just reduce the functionallity on a few functions
>>(eg. allow it to print only a few pages, limit the
>>size of the image, etc.).
>>Try to act like a professional programmer before you
>>act like a bean counter and you will end up with a better
>>product and more people will want to pay for it.
>>FLAME OFF
>I agree with your flame (for the most part), but the problem with your
>suggestion is that many other people hate IT, calling that type of product
>"crippleware".

I hate crippleware as well.  Whenever I find one of these I don't ever
bother testing the product, unless it's something extraordinary (which is
rarely the case).
However, I don't mind an occaisonal registration reminder as long as it
isn't obnoxious (such as a timed delay of any sort).  Guiltware is probably
the most effective and least obnoxious form of shareware.
If you as a program developer make a program more obnoxious to use, it
will necessary be less attractive.

--
+==========================================================================+
| Noam Mendelson   ..!ucbvax!web!c60b-1eq       | "I haven't lost my mind, |

sean@ms.uky.edu (Sean Casey) (05/01/91)

ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi) writes:

|The lighter side of things is the terminology that has ensued like
|  begware
|  crippleware
|  nagware
|And there must be more in the offing.

And don't forget... threatware.

More offal than offing is my verdict after downloading and testing
about 500 pieces of pd and threatware since January. It's sad to see a
badly written program--one with no sense of art whatsoever--accompanied
with threats should one fail to pay.

Sigh...

--
** Sean Casey  <sean@s.ms.uky.edu>

c60b-1eq@web-1g.berkeley.edu (Noam Mendelson) (05/01/91)

In article <1991May01.022439.16596@osh3.OSHA.GOV> chip@osh3.OSHA.GOV (Chip Yamasaki) writes:
>I have used many shareware programs and have NEVER run into one that
>annoys me to death.  I have seen some that remind you to register and or
>display a copyright screen while loading.  Some programs even ask that
>you press a key to continue,  HORRORS!  How awful of them.

How about programs that have timed delays?  Or those which count
the number of times they're used, and either nag you or annoy you
to death (although it's trivial to work around counters, it is a
pain)?
I know ProComm Plus Test Drive was very annoying until I patched it to
remove all those annoying messages (I ended up buying the commercial
version, BTW).

--
+==========================================================================+

jwbirdsa@amc.com (James Birdsall) (05/01/91)

In article <5101.281dc791@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu> mgjones@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu (Mike (Felix) Jones) writes:
>In article <1991Apr30.174659.9082@aplcen.apl.jhu.edu>, rubin@visual1.jhuapl.edu (Don Rubin) writes:
>> Try to act like a professional programmer before you
>> act like a bean counter and you will end up with a better
>> product and more people will want to pay for it.
>Like the Windows comm program that pops up that registration info everytime
>you try to do something.  I got so sick of it I said bag it and never really
>got to try it out to see if I liked it or not.

Well, maybe you people should go talk to the folks who won't even look at
"crippleware" and advocate reminders. Until the users come to a consensus
on which they would rather have, there will continue to be both.

Personally, I neither cripple nor put reminders in the shareware I write.
And I get no registrations, either. Has anybody else out there had the
experience of an unregistered user writing email like "Your stuff is great,
I use it all the time. Do you suppose you could add feature X?"

And now, since this thread doesn't really belong in cbipd, please note the
Followup line...

--
James W. Birdsall   WORK: jwbirdsa@amc.com   {uunet,uw-coco}!amc-gw!jwbirdsa
HOME: {uunet,uw-coco}!amc-gw!picarefy!jwbirdsa OTHER: 71261.1731@compuserve.com

ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi) (05/02/91)

In article <1991May1.153211.21245@agate.berkeley.edu> c60b-1eq@web-1g.berkeley.edu (Noam Mendelson) writes:
:
>I know ProComm Plus Test Drive was very annoying until I patched it to
>remove all those annoying messages (I ended up buying the commercial
>version, BTW).

There is an alternative way around such annoying messages that come
to the screen as the last deed of an exiting nagware prorgram.  That
is saving the original screen at call time, and restoring it after
the exit.  Using a batch file this is very easy.  The screen pushing
/ popping facilities can be found in /pc/ts/tsutld18.arc.  But for
the record, this is not meant for beating shareware rules, but to
get to make the legitimate testing in peace without the nags.

Prof. Timo Salmi
Moderating at garbo.uwasa.fi anonymous ftp archives 128.214.12.37

IO92203@MAINE.BITNET (Scott Maxell) (05/03/91)

In article <40790008@hpcvra.cv.hp.com.>, everett@hpcvra.cv.hp.com. (Everett
Kaser) says:

>/ rubin@visual1.jhuapl.edu (Don Rubin) writes...
>>FLAME ON
>>My suggestion to budding shareware programmers is give
>>us a MOSTLY fully functional program with no stupid
>>order forms, warning boxes, etc. To insure registration
>>just reduce the functionallity on a few functions
>>(eg. allow it to print only a few pages, limit the
>>size of the image, etc.).
>>Try to act like a professional programmer before you
>>act like a bean counter and you will end up with a better
>>product and more people will want to pay for it.
>>FLAME OFF
>
>I agree with your flame (for the most part), but the problem with your
>suggestion is that many other people hate IT, calling that type of product
>"crippleware".

    Many people won't try shareware that is not fully functional, as
opposed to a fully functional program with an annoying message every
time you run it. The messages are there to discourage people from using
the shareware past the registration period. If one doesn't have a fully
functional product, how can one completely evaluate its usefulness?
    Why are these types of messages so annoying and indicative of
a non-professional programmer? Since you aren't intended to use a shareware
program for an extended period of time, why is it such a problem?
    Shareware programmers put a lot of time and effort into their products.
It is their right to determine how they want to make sure people register
them.

//////////////////////////////////////////\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
+---------+ Scott Maxell  -- Bitnet   ->> IO92203 @ maine
+---------+ do, not what I tell it to do..."

enzerinkp@topaz.ucq.edu.au (05/03/91)

In article <1991Apr30.174659.9082@aplcen.apl.jhu.edu>, rubin@visual1.jhuapl.edu (Don Rubin) writes:
> FLAME ON
>
> ...disgusted with so called commercial quality programs
> that annoy you to death BEFORE you even get to use them.
> ...If I like what the program
> does, I'll pay the registration fee to get the full
> functionallity, manual, support, updates, etc.

I find this to be very hard to swallow, so I'll take the time to followup.
It has been my experience, and indeed probably the experience of many shareware
authors that very few copies of their programs are ever registered. This is
independant of how good they are.

For that matter you only need to look at the amount of piracy of normal
commercial software to see that a lot of people have no scruples.

I personally favour a fully working program that has lots of "register me"
boxes and startup delaysto encourage users to register. You have the
opportunity to use a fully functional product with some annoying
messages. Much better than a crippled program.

> Try to act like a professional programmer before you
> act like a bean counter and you will end up with a better
> product and more people will want to pay for it.
>
> FLAME OFF

A professional programmer is by some definition a person who makes a living
from their programming skills. Producing top quality and complete
applications with annoying messages seems to be the best way to produce
shareware programs, and that's how I'm structuring my future releases.
(Maybe this time more people will register!)

Regards Peter

PS. fffffffff-fff-f-f-f-f Your flame's been blown out.

--
                  Hello, Hello. What's going on here then?
^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^