[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Problem with Elvis 1.4

jshumate@wrdis01.af.mil ( Shumate Jason) (04/26/91)

I missed the original posting of Elvis 1.4, so I downloaded it from wuarchive.
Whenever I try to run it, I get the message:
    Can't create temporary file, errno=2
Am I supposed to set up some kind of environment variable for Elvis?  Neither
the README nor KNOWN.BUG files offer any help.

--
CUL8R,                                | Unknown Actor:"Sounds like a lot of
Jason Shumate                         |   supernatural baloney to me."

mbb@cbnewsb.cb.att.com (martin.brilliant) (04/26/91)

In article <505@wrdis01.af.mil> jshumate@wrdis01.af.mil ( Shumate Jason) writes:
>I missed the original posting of Elvis 1.4, so I downloaded it from wuarchive.
>Whenever I try to run it, I get the message:
>    Can't create temporary file, errno=2

Elvis seems to want a directory called \TMP in your root directory.
If you have only one hard drive, that would be C:\TMP - I haven't
tried running Elvis in D: or E: yet.

The original posting did not include documentation either.
Documentation exists; maybe it could be posted in
comp.binaries.ibm.pc, or perhaps in comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d.
--

                Martin B. Brilliant             hoqax!marty
                (Winnertech Corporation)        HO 2J-528

w8sdz@rigel.acs.oakland.edu (Keith Petersen) (04/26/91)

jshumate@wrdis01.af.mil ( Shumate Jason) writes:
>I missed the original posting of Elvis 1.4, so I downloaded it from wuarchive.
>Whenever I try to run it, I get the message:
>    Can't create temporary file, errno=2
>Am I supposed to set up some kind of environment variable for Elvis?  Neither
>the README nor KNOWN.BUG files offer any help.

The author has uploaded complete documentation for Elvis 1.4 to SIMTEL20:

pd1:<msdos.editor>
ELVIS14D.ZIP    Docs for ELVIS v1.4 vi-compatible text editor

Keith
--
Keith Petersen
Maintainer of SIMTEL20's MSDOS, MISC & CP/M archives [IP address 26.2.0.74]

josevela@mtecv2.mty.itesm.mx (Jose Angel Vela Avila) (04/26/91)

>Elvis seems to want a directory called \TMP in your root directory.
>If you have only one hard drive, that would be C:\TMP - I haven't
>tried running Elvis in D: or E: yet.

 I tried it with c:\tmp from C: D: F: and don't works

 Are something wrong with Elvis ???

Jose A. Vela A.

In article <3248@mtecv2.mty.itesm.mx> josevela@mtecv2.mty.itesm.mx (Jose Angel Vela Avila) writes:
>>Elvis seems to want a directory called \TMP in your root directory.
>>If you have only one hard drive, that would be C:\TMP - I haven't
>>tried running Elvis in D: or E: yet.
>
> I tried it with c:\tmp from C: D: F: and don't works
>
> Are something wrong with Elvis ???

I just tried it in the D: drive, with a \TMP directory on drive C:,
and it works for me.  It also works on drive C:.  So there is some
very important difference between our setups that we don't know about
yet.  Does anybody have any clue to what's going on?

I think this is worth pursuing because I have found Elvis to be a
nearly perfect clone of the original vi.  The only thing it won't do
is send a block of text as input to the "shell" and replace the text
with the output, and that's because the DOS "shell" won't take
commands on standard input, so it's not a fault of Elvis.  Other
features work: key mapping, initialization file, reading the output of
a shell command, etc.

chadbour@nms.gdc.portal.com (jeffrey chadbourne) (04/26/91)

jshumate@wrdis01.af.mil ( Shumate Jason) writes:
> I missed the original posting of Elvis 1.4, so I downloaded it from wuarchive.
> Whenever I try to run it, I get the message:
>     Can't create temporary file, errno=2
> Am I supposed to set up some kind of environment variable for Elvis?  Neither
> the README nor KNOWN.BUG files offer any help.

Elvis uses a temporary file that it stores in C:\TMP by default. You can change this
by setting the environment variable TMP or TEMP to a directory of your choice.

By the way, Elvis writes to the screen using the BIOS by default. You can set
the environment variable TERM=ansi or TERM=nansi in order to use ANSI.SYS or
NANSI.SYS device drivers (depending what you've loaded in config.sys of course :-)

--
Jeff Chadbourne                         chadbourne@nms.gdc.portal.com

"There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want." -Calvin
                                    Calvin & Hobbes by Bill Watterson

martin@convex.csd.uwm.edu (Martin A Miller) (04/26/91)

In article <3248@mtecv2.mty.itesm.mx> josevela@mtecv2.mty.itesm.mx (Jose Angel Vela Avila) writes:
>>Elvis seems to want a directory called \TMP in your root directory.

Yes, you need this.

>>If you have only one hard drive, that would be C:\TMP - I haven't
>>tried running Elvis in D: or E: yet.

It runs quite nicely on all my drives (C:, D:, and E:)

> I tried it with c:\tmp from C: D: F: and don't works
> Are something wrong with Elvis ???

No, but the missing piece of this puzzle is:

The following statement in your autoexec.bat:  set temp=c:\tmp
Should run just fine then.

--
| Martin A. Miller               Internet: martin@convex.csd.uwm.edu          |
| Programmer/Consultant          Bitnet  : martin%convex.csd.uwm.edu@INTERBIT |

richard@calvin.ee.cornell.edu (Richard Brittain - VOS hacker) (04/30/91)

In article <238@esun49.nms.gdc.portal.com> chadbour@nms.gdc.portal.com (jeffrey chadbourne) writes:
>By the way, Elvis writes to the screen using the BIOS by default. You can set
>the environment variable TERM=ansi or TERM=nansi in order to use ANSI.SYS or
>NANSI.SYS device drivers (depending what you've loaded in config.sys of course :-)

I tried setting TERM=nansi and it ran very much faster on screen redraws, but
I noticed it was also using the console device for input, and that many
of the useful cursor keys were gone (control--> for advance word etc.)  It
should be possible to get these keycodes from dos without needing the bios
call ?.  It would be nice to have it both ways.

--
Richard Brittain,                 School of Elect. Eng.,  Eng. and Theory Center
                                  Cornell university, Ithaca, NY 14853

locke@paradyne.com (Richard Locke) (05/02/91)

I'm having trouble with Elvis deciding that seemingly random files
are "busy".  It won't edit these files.  This is on a DOS 3.3 machine,
I'm not having similar trouble with 4.01 on another machine.  I did
cycle power on the troublesome machine while in Elvis, which is the
only thing I can think of...  Any clues or ideas??

-dick

locke@paradyne.com (Richard Locke) (05/03/91)

In article <1991May2.153038.12880@pdn.paradyne.com> locke@paradyne.com (Richard Locke) writes:
>I'm having trouble with Elvis deciding that seemingly random files
>are "busy"....  I did cycle power...

Thanks to the people who responded asking about a file in TEMP -- that was
causing the problems.  Kinda lame, but what do you want for nothing ;-).

-dick