[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] speaker silencers?

ftw33616@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (The great goofy one) (04/29/91)

Hi...
I am in search of a program to silence my speaker...
I use silence 1.0, and it really does a poor job on most games.
Is there a newer version?  (the one I have is 1985 version)
or are there better ones?

Also, is there a way to shut off the two beeps that 4dos makes when it
loads?  It would be nice when I get on late at night... those 2 beeps seem
loud enough to wake the dead when I turn on the computer at 2 am...

			ANy help much appreciated.

				frank Wang
				ftw33616@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu

ralphs@seattleu.edu (Ralph Sims) (04/29/91)

ftw33616@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (The great goofy one) writes:

> Also, is there a way to shut off the two beeps that 4dos makes when it
> loads?  It would be nice when I get on late at night... those 2 beeps seem
> loud enough to wake the dead when I turn on the computer at 2 am...

Register the program and when you get the details on how to 'brand' the
program with your serial number and do so, the beeps go away.  Magic.

--
                    halcyon!ralphs@seattleu.edu
  The 23:00 News and Mail Service - +1 206 292 9048 - Seattle, WA USA

mju@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us (Marc Unangst) (04/30/91)

ftw33616@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (The great goofy one) writes:
> Also, is there a way to shut off the two beeps that 4dos makes when it
> loads?  It would be nice when I get on late at night... those 2 beeps seem
> loud enough to wake the dead when I turn on the computer at 2 am...

Those two beeps, as well as the two-second pause, do not exist in the
registered version of 4DOS.

If you use 4DOS regularly (as you seem to, having installed it in your
CONFIG.SYS), you really ought to register it and support J.P. Software.

--
Marc Unangst               |
mju@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us  | "Bus error: passengers dumped"

heathh@piglet (Heath Ian Hunnicutt) (05/03/91)

In article <1991Apr29.081704.6199@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> ftw33616@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu
(The great goofy one) writes:
> Hi...
> I am in search of a program to silence my speaker...

Don't use a program -- none of them can really shut your speaker up.  Instead,
if you are "lucky" enough to have one of those stupid key-lock switches
installed on your machine, you can make it into a speaker switch rather easily.
			1) Find where it (the switch) connects to the motherboard and disconnect it.
						Experiment with wether the motherboard contacts need to be shorted
 					together or left open (most likely left open) for you to boot up.

			2) Cut one of the speaker's wires and run it through the key-lock switch.

			Suggestion:  Some switches give you the option of which switch terminal to
		 connect to.  On my computer, the closed lock positionindicates closed
			circuit, or 'sound on'.

> I use silence 1.0, and it really does a poor job on most games.
> Is there a newer version?  (the one I have is 1985 version)
> or are there better ones?

For a game to produce anything better than poor sound, it must bypass all
software and go right to the speaker control chip's I/O lines.  Unfortunately,
there is inherently no way to block this.

> Also, is there a way to shut off the two beeps that 4dos makes when it
> loads?  It would be nice when I get on late at night... those 2 beeps seem
> loud enough to wake the dead when I turn on the computer at 2 am...

Yes, register your copy of 4DOS.  :-)

Heath Hunnicutt
heathh@pooh.cco.caltech.edu

juergen@julien.informatik.uni-dortmund.de (Juergen Stuber) (05/03/91)

In article <1991May2.181604.4806@nntp-server.caltech.edu>, heathh@piglet (Heath Ian Hunnicutt) writes:
|> In article <1991Apr29.081704.6199@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> ftw33616@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu
|> (The great goofy one) writes:
|> > Hi...
|> > I am in search of a program to silence my speaker...
|>
|> Don't use a program -- none of them can really shut your speaker up.  Instead,
|> if you are "lucky" enough to have one of those stupid key-lock switches
|> installed on your machine, you can make it into a speaker switch rather easily.
|> [...]
|> Heath Hunnicutt
|> heathh@pooh.cco.caltech.edu

On my old computer, I put a 150 ohms resistor in line with the speaker.
Then those beeps and game noises are still perceptible, but no longer loud.

Juergen Stuber (juergen@ls5.informatik.uni-dortmund.de)

carlf@agora.rain.com (Carl Fago) (05/04/91)

In article <1991Apr29.081704.6199@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> ftw33616@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (The great goofy one) writes:
>Hi...
>I am in search of a program to silence my speaker...
>I use silence 1.0, and it really does a poor job on most games.
>Is there a newer version?  (the one I have is 1985 version)
>or are there better ones?
>
>Also, is there a way to shut off the two beeps that 4dos makes when it
>loads?  It would be nice when I get on late at night... those 2 beeps seem
>loud enough to wake the dead when I turn on the computer at 2 am...
>
>			ANy help much appreciated.
>
>				frank Wang
>				ftw33616@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu

I had the same problem with game noises and general computer beeps.  My wife
about had a fit.  I also had the same problem at work.

I solved the problem on both computers by unplugging the speaker.  It was simple
enough by just tracing the wires.  My two computers had plugs for the speakers.

Nice and quiet now!

--
| *-=Carl=-*  INTERNET - carlf@agora.rain.com |  A generation which ignores  |