[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Anarkey

dhesi@bsu-cs.UUCP (Rahul Dhesi) (12/01/88)

In article <2759@silver.bacs.indiana.edu> burleigh@silver.UUCP (frank
burleigh) writes:
>2. File name completion is a little flakey.  Try cycling through
>ANARKEY.SUM, ANARKEY.DOC and then to ANARKEY.COM.  You can't get to the
>last name for some reason.

I think this is meant to be a feature.  Anarkey ignores certain file
extensions so they won't clutter up the display.  The documentation
tells you how to tell it which ones to ignore.
--
Rahul Dhesi         UUCP:  <backbones>!{iuvax,pur-ee}!bsu-cs!dhesi

erc@radon.berkeley.edu (Eric Ng) (04/27/91)

waylacm2@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Mooch) writes:
>What i did find was a good program to do command editing and
>history and (pleasantly suprising) filename completion.  The last
>was especially happy since i'm currently using two programs to
>accomplish a similar effect, namely command line history and
>filename completion.
>    What i didn't find was any mechonism at all for command
>aliasing (synonyms).  This was a great disapointment.  CED (or WCED)
>with command editing, history and aliasing (all of which CED
>has) as well as filename completion (WCED has it) would be a
>truly wonderful utility.

I recommend taking a look at Anarkey.  I switched over
after being a devoted CED user for years.

It has everything you talk about (command-line editing,
history, filename completion, and synonyms) and has
a menu interface for redefining the key bindings.  It
will also load up into EMS.  It's a pretty nice product.

-eric

--
eric ng
erc@radon.berkeley.edu

ltf@ncmicro.lonestar.org (Lance Franklin) (04/28/91)

}
}It has everything you talk about (command-line editing,
}history, filename completion, and synonyms) and has
}a menu interface for redefining the key bindings.  It
}will also load up into EMS.  It's a pretty nice product.

I've also noticed that it seems to disable itself sometimes, when you
do something strange while editing a line (I'm not sure what, but
it happens when you somehow abort using the line you're editing...
very annoying.

Have you noticed the same problem?

Lance

--
Lance T. Franklin            +----------------------------------------------+
(ltf@ncmicro.lonestar.org)   | "You want I should bop you with this here    |

teexnma@ioe.lon.ac.uk (Nino Margetic) (04/30/91)

In <41907@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> erc@radon.berkeley.edu (Eric Ng) writes:

[ *** stuff deleted *** ]

>I recommend taking a look at Anarkey.  I switched over
>after being a devoted CED user for years.

>It has everything you talk about (command-line editing,
>history, filename completion, and synonyms) and has
>a menu interface for redefining the key bindings.  It
>will also load up into EMS.  It's a pretty nice product.

Speaking of Anarkey... I had it running on my Toshiba DOS 3.3 without
any problems. A couple of days ago I switched to a new portable
(386SX, 16MHz) running DOS 4.01, and Anarkey simply refuses to load. I
tried looking under TD and found out that it exits (exit (1)) while in
the first subroutine. It expects to find something in BX (I've done it
a couple of days ago, and I can't remember off hand what it was), but
it doesn't find it... Has anyone any clues?? Is the author on the
net??? BTW, I'm a registered user, but (unfortunately) in the wrong
country :-), and it doesn't pay-off to ring overseas....

--Nino

PS Otherwise, I was VERY satisfied with the program...

--
Janet: nino@uk.ac.ucl.sm.mph                    \    Nino Margetic
Earn/Bitnet: nino@mph.sm.ucl.ac.uk               \   Dept. of Medical Physics

davel@booboo.SanDiego.NCR.COM (David Lord) (05/02/91)

>In article <41907@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> erc@radon.berkeley.edu.UUCP (Eric Ng) writes:
>}I recommend taking a look at Anarkey.  I switched over
>}after being a devoted CED user for years.

I used Anarkey exactly once. While I liked the command completion and
editing capabilities the program is the worst example of a really obnoxious
way to get people to register that I have ever seen. Each time you start
it up it displays a random eight digit number that you must type in again
in order to continue. Really rude. I'm just not willing to waste my time
on programs that do that kind of stuff and judging by how much more popular
CED seems to be I'd say I'm not alone.

Shareware authors: While I don't mind a beg screen at the beginning of
a program keep in mind that it's in YOUR benefit to get us to try your
programs. Keeping in mind how much trash is out there (I try out 10 programs
for every one I keep) we don't have a lot of patience. I know you want as
many people to register as possible but it's better to get 5% of 1000 users
than 20% of 100 users. Don't fret the freeloaders. I bet MS DOS is the
most pirated program in the world but Bill Gates is still the richest
programmer.

This shouldn't be construed as condoning not paying for your software.
People put a lot of work into it (at least some of it). If you find
a program you like, register it.

--
Dave.Lord@SanDiego.NCR.COM

daly@ecs.umass.edu (Bryon Daly, ECE dept, UMass, Amherst) (05/03/91)

In article <1991May1.201528.28235@donner.SanDiego.NCR.COM>, davel@booboo.SanDiego.NCR.COM (David Lord) writes:
>>In article <41907@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> erc@radon.berkeley.edu.UUCP (Eric Ng) writes:
>>}I recommend taking a look at Anarkey.  I switched over
>>}after being a devoted CED user for years.
>
> I used Anarkey exactly once. While I liked the command completion and
> editing capabilities the program is the worst example of a really obnoxious
> way to get people to register that I have ever seen. Each time you start
> it up it displays a random eight digit number that you must type in again
> in order to continue. Really rude. I'm just not willing to waste my time
> on programs that do that kind of stuff and judging by how much more popular
> CED seems to be I'd say I'm not alone.
>
> Shareware authors: While I don't mind a beg screen at the beginning of
> a program keep in mind that it's in YOUR benefit to get us to try your
> programs. Keeping in mind how much trash is out there (I try out 10 programs
> for every one I keep) we don't have a lot of patience. I know you want as
> many people to register as possible but it's better to get 5% of 1000 users
> than 20% of 100 users. Don't fret the freeloaders. I bet MS DOS is the
> most pirated program in the world but Bill Gates is still the richest
> programmer.

I agree with Dave.  The same thing happened with me, using Hyperdisk.  First
time I booted up with it, I found it has some excessively long delay time at
boot up (My computer is on and off many times a day, and this adds up), so
I removed it immediately, virtually untried.   While an annoyance might
motivate me to register more quickly, if it is TOO annoying, I won't even
start using it to see if I like it enough to register.

> This shouldn't be construed as condoning not paying for your software.
> People put a lot of work into it (at least some of it). If you find
> a program you like, register it.

Same here.

> --
> Dave.Lord@SanDiego.NCR.COM

-Bryon Daly
daly@ecs.umass.edu

mlord@bwdls58.bnr.ca (Mark Lord) (05/03/91)

<
<Speaking of Anarkey... I had it running on my Toshiba DOS 3.3 without
<any problems. A couple of days ago I switched to a new portable
<(386SX, 16MHz) running DOS 4.01, and Anarkey simply refuses to load. I
<tried looking under TD and found out that it exits (exit (1)) while in
<the first subroutine. It expects to find something in BX (I've done it
<a couple of days ago, and I can't remember off hand what it was), but
<it doesn't find it... Has anyone any clues?? Is the author on the Net ???

The author is indeed on the net (Steve Calwas .. are you still out there).

One thing to try, which I've noticed on my 386sx (MDDOS 4.01), is to load
ANARKEY *before* PC-CACHE or SUPERPCK (disk caching programs).  For some
reason things don't work right when ANARKEY is loaded after these two.

Also, I've noticed that inside desqview, sometimes ANARKEY exits without
explanation when opening 4DOS windows.  This is random, and occurs only about
once in every 30 windows or so (cumulative over time, not all at once!).
--
MLORD@BNR.CA  Ottawa, Ontario *** Personal views only ***
begin 644 NOTSHARE.COM ; Free MS-DOS utility - use instead of SHARE.EXE

ace3@quads.uchicago.edu (anibal antonio acero) (05/04/91)

In article <1991May1.201528.28235@donner.SanDiego.NCR.COM> davel@booboo.SanDiego.NCR.COM (David Lord) writes:

>I used Anarkey exactly once. While I liked the command completion and
>editing capabilities the program is the worst example of a really obnoxious
>way to get people to register that I have ever seen. Each time you start
>it up it displays a random eight digit number that you must type in again
>in order to continue. Really rude. I'm just not willing to waste my time
>Dave.Lord@SanDiego.NCR.COM
I'm posting this in part because I like the work of the author of ANARKEY
(can't you tell his name escapes me) and would like to see it receive
broader use, and also because it describes a novel (to me) method of taking
text from the screen and feeding it as input to a program, automatically.
(As such it probably belongs in comp.os.msdos.programmer).

About six months ago I found myself attempting to evalutate the PCTags
package (by the same author as Anarkey, and using the same "incentive" to induce
registration).  Since I had a real need to use the package but had to
evaluate it first I came up with the following method to make the program
less annoying to use:

	Requirements: 4dos (registered of course!)
		      cutpast4 (from simtel20)

	Method: perform a practice run
		-load cutpast4
		-run PCTags
		-making a note of ALL the keys you press, use cutpast4 to
CUT out the random 8-digit number and PASTE it back to the program.
		-use the 4dos utility KEYSTACK to duplicate the keys in
the previous step (don't forget to terminate the paste step with a
carriage return).
		-optionally, use MARK/RELEASE to remove cutpast4 from
memory, and place the whole sequence in an alias or batch file.

The method worked really well, and I liked the product so much that I
registered it.  Ironically, the registerd version of PCTags came
with an evalution version of Anarkey which I haven't even looked at (I do have
4dos) -- now that I found out it uses the same annoyance method as PCTags
I certainly won't even try it.

Register the shareware you use, it seems to me that everybody benefits.
A comment to shareware authors -- it seems in your best interest to make your
product as likeable as possible.

Tony Acero
ace3@quads.uchicago.edu

src@cup.portal.com (Steve R Calwas) (05/05/91)

This posting is in response to all the recent messages concerning
my software program, Anarkey.  I apologize for the group response.
I normally email individual replies, but I came in late on the thread
this time so we'll take care of everybody at once.

First, to all who are interested: Anarkey 4.0 will be released in
the next few weeks.  All registered users will receive an update
notice in the mail within that time.  I thank all the registered
users who have found Anarkey useful and have supported it by
registering and offering their suggestions.  I hope you'll like the
new 4.0 release as much.

To the user who found Anarkey occasionally disabling itself:

  Anarkey does not work if output is redirected to a serial terminal,
i.e. the COM device.  Versions prior to v3.06 contained code which
determined on its own if output was being redirected and disabled itself
if it was; it enabled itself again when output was no longer redirected.
The emethod used to determine output redirection was undocumented.
Unfortunately, other programs, such as enhanced ANSI.SYS drivers and the
RAWMODE program distributed with NANSI, conflicted with Anarkey's method.
Thus, when one of these programs was run, Anarkey would think
output was being redirected and disable itself.  In Anarkey v3.06 and
later, Anarkey does not attempt to determine if output is being
redirected.  Thus, conflicts with other programs should no longer occur
and you should not experience Anarkey disabling itself.

In case all that is just gobbledy-gook gibberish, here's the short
answer: Check the Anarkey version you are running.  If prior to v3.06 and
you are using RAWMODE or an enhanced ANSI.SYS driver, either stop using it
until you get the v4.0 update or let me know and I will send you a v3.0
that will work.

To the user whose copy of Anarkey suddenly refuses to install:

  If the ANARKEY.COM file has been modified by anything other than the
Anarked keystroke configuration program, it will refuse to install.
This is to protect you from executing a copy of Anarkey that may have
been infected with a virus.  I suggest you copy the version stored on
your registered disk back onto your hard drive and try running that
version.  It should work.

To people who dislike the fact that the evaluation version of Anarkey
is not unadulterated (even though it IS fully functional):

  Thanks for your input.

Steve Calwas                    src@cup.portal.com
Santa Clara, CA                 ...!sun!cup.portal.com!src

teexnma@ioe.lon.ac.uk (Nino Margetic) (05/05/91)

In <6689@bwdls58.bnr.ca> mlord@bwdls58.bnr.ca (Mark Lord) writes:

>In article <1991Apr30.104720.4928@ioe.lon.ac.uk> teexnma@ioe.lon.ac.uk (Nino Margetic) writes:

   [*** my original message deleted ***]

>The author is indeed on the net (Steve Calwas .. are you still out there).

*** He indeed is. Just tonight I had a message from him. He promised
to answer the original question/problem. BTW, his address is
src@cup.portal.com.

>One thing to try, which I've noticed on my 386sx (MDDOS 4.01), is to load
>ANARKEY *before* PC-CACHE or SUPERPCK (disk caching programs).  For some
>reason things don't work right when ANARKEY is loaded after these two.

*** Just for everyone's info - the config I tried had ONLY keybord
driver loaded from autoexec.bat, and nansi.sys loaded from config.sys

>Also, I've noticed that inside desqview, sometimes ANARKEY exits without
>explanation when opening 4DOS windows.  This is random, and occurs only about
>once in every 30 windows or so (cumulative over time, not all at once!).

*** Haven't tried it under DV.

--Nino
--

indra@brahms.amd.com (Indra Singhal) (05/05/91)

daly@ecs.umass.edu (Bryon Daly, ECE dept, UMass, Amherst) writes:

>I agree with Dave.  The same thing happened with me, using Hyperdisk.  First
>time I booted up with it, I found it has some excessively long delay time at
>boot up (My computer is on and off many times a day, and this adds up), so
>I removed it immediately, virtually untried.   While an annoyance might
>motivate me to register more quickly, if it is TOO annoying, I won't even
>start using it to see if I like it enough to register.

That is an exact repeat of my experience... as for anarkey, I registered
it but do not use it any more... :-(

Boot time delay is totally unacceptable, esp with a program like
hyperdisk, to evaluate it one must compare it with other cache
programs, most require rebooting. This makes the evaluation painful,
so, heck with it. I went back to using pc-cache from my PC-Tools 6.0 oh
well.

--
iNDRA | indra@amd.com or {ames apple uunet}!amd!indra