[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] latex for pc?

millerje@holst.cs.colostate.edu (jeffrey scott miller) (02/18/91)

Does anyone know where I can find LaTeX (not TeX) implemented for MSDOS?
I looked on a simtel mirror and all they had was sbtex, which is a tex clone,
not latex.  I would prefer the implementation to have page preview, but that
isn't absolutely necessary.

thanks.

|  "NUKE THE UNBORN GAY WHALES!"       |  Jeff Miller                         |
|             - graffiti               |  millerje@handel.CS.ColoState.Edu    |
|_____________________________________________________________________________|

woan@nowhere (Ronald S Woan) (02/18/91)

In article <12925@ccncsu.ColoState.EDU> millerje@holst.cs.colostate.edu (jeffrey scott miller) writes:
>Does anyone know where I can find LaTeX (not TeX) implemented for MSDOS?
>I looked on a simtel mirror and all they had was sbtex, which is a tex clone,
>not latex.  I would prefer the implementation to have page preview, but that
>isn't absolutely necessary.

You don't understand. LaTeX is a macro package for TeX, so get sbTeX
or DOSTeX and then get the latex.tex file and create a dumped TeX
macro package, as the sbTeX document describes... (latex macros can be
got off any UNIX system with TeX or probably from
labrea.stanford.edu).

+ Ronald S. Woan       woan@peyote.cactus.org or woan%austin@iinus1.ibm.com +
+ other email addresses             Prodigy: XTCR74A Compuserve: 73530,2537 +

bvandepe@sirius.ucs.adelaide.edu.au.ua.oz (Commander Straker) (02/18/91)

From article <12925@ccncsu.ColoState.EDU>, by millerje@holst.cs.colostate.edu (jeffrey scott miller):
> Does anyone know where I can find LaTeX (not TeX) implemented for MSDOS?
> I looked on a simtel mirror and all they had was sbtex, which is a tex clone,
> not latex.  I would prefer the implementation to have page preview, but that
> isn't absolutely necessary.

I'm not sure where you can find it in the states, but I know where a copy is
here in Australia. It is a latex implementation, and the files include a
dvi viewer. ( This was for hercules and vga graphics cards last time I looked
and did not support ega. )

Anyway, the site is:
   sirius.ucs.adelaide.edu.au
using the usual anonymous ftp.

The files are in:
   PC/PC-NFS/tex/

There is a fair amount of stuff there, so you'll want to watch the time zones
to keep in good with the sys-op. When you log in the machine gives you its
local time, so you needent have a calculator nearby :-)

BTW, IMHO, this feature should be implemented on all ftp servers so
that us users know if we are doing the right thing. Some servers do not even
give their offset from GMT, and I don't know where some of the machines are
just from their domain names.

Anyway, enjoy.

> thanks.
Your welcome.

Brenton Vandepeer, University of Adelaide, South Australia.

email: bvandepe@physics.adelaide.edu.au

dhosek@euler.claremont.edu (Don Hosek) (02/19/91)

In article <12925@ccncsu.ColoState.EDU>, millerje@holst.cs.colostate.edu (jeffrey scott miller) writes:
> Does anyone know where I can find LaTeX (not TeX) implemented for MSDOS?
> I looked on a simtel mirror and all they had was sbtex, which is a tex clone,
> not latex.  I would prefer the implementation to have page preview, but that
> isn't absolutely necessary.

LaTeX is merely an add-on macro package to TeX. Any TeX
implementation will allow use of LaTeX. The macro files can be
had from ymir.claremont.edu in [anonymous.tex.inputs.latex].

Similarly, the preview is an extra program and several are
available. Take a look in [anonymous.tex.ibm_pc.previewer] and
[anonymous.tex.ibm_pc.drivers.emtex] on ymir for several driver
programs.

Incidentally, if you get a copy of MF, you can dramatically
reduce the amount of disk space used by TeX's fonts by only
generating those fonts you use. Initially, printing a document
may take a couple of hours as you wait for the fonts to be
created but after a week, nearly every font you use will be
available. I have less than 1M of PK files on my system(!).

There are also several commercial versions of TeX available which
you may want to look into if you prefer to have the option of
support and preprinted manuals. There is a summary of PC versions
of TeX (commercial & PD/SW) on ymir.claremont.edu in
[anonymous.tex.site-info]tex-for-ibm-pc.txt

(Incidentally, for those who care, on my PC I'm using PCTeX Big
386, PCMF, the emTeX HP and screen drivers and the Rokicki DVIPS
program.)

-dh

---
Don Hosek   To retrieve files from ymir via the    | dhosek@ymir.claremont.edu
            mailserver, send a message to          | Quixote TeX Consulting
            mailserv@ymir.claremont.edu with a     | 714-625-0147
            line saying send [DIRECTORY]FILENAME
            where DIRECTORY is the FTP directory (sans "anonymous") and
            FILENAME is the filename, e.g. "send [tex]00readme.txt". There is
            a list of files in each directory under the name 00files.txt
            Binary files are not available by this technique.

sweh@tharr.UUCP (Stephen Harris) (02/19/91)

In article <12925@ccncsu.ColoState.EDU> millerje@holst.cs.colostate.edu (jeffrey scott miller) writes:
>Does anyone know where I can find LaTeX (not TeX) implemented for MSDOS?
>I looked on a simtel mirror and all they had was sbtex, which is a tex clone,
>not latex.  I would prefer the implementation to have page preview, but that
>isn't absolutely necessary.

The Version of DOSTeX I tried a year back came with TeX82 and LaTeX macro sets
as well as the METAfont package.  It also came with a hercules previewer,
but I found this of limited success.

I'm sure I saw this stuff on SIMTEL20 in PD1:<MSDOS.TEX> but maybe I'm
mistaken.  I think there are previewers for EGA and VGA machines there
as well.

If (when) I upgrade my machine to a 386 I'll probably use TeX again - its a
bit slow for my poor 8088 :-)
--
    			     Stephen Harris
Disclaimer: me have an opinion?     | Email: ..!ukc!axion!tharr!sweh

russell@ccu1.aukuni.ac.nz (Russell J Fulton;ccc032u) (05/06/91)

woan@nowhere (Ronald S Woan) writes:

>In article <12925@ccncsu.ColoState.EDU> millerje@holst.cs.colostate.edu (jeffrey scott miller) writes:
>>Does anyone know where I can find LaTeX (not TeX) implemented for MSDOS?
>>I looked on a simtel mirror and all they had was sbtex, which is a tex clone,
>>not latex.  I would prefer the implementation to have page preview, but that
>>isn't absolutely necessary.

>You don't understand. LaTeX is a macro package for TeX, so get sbTeX
>or DOSTeX and then get the latex.tex file and create a dumped TeX
>macro package, as the sbTeX document describes... (latex macros can be
>got off any UNIX system with TeX or probably from
>labrea.stanford.edu).

Ronald is right. I would just add that emtex -- which is available from
ymir.claremont.edu is my choice of the PD TeX/LaTeX implemntations. The big
advantage it has over other implementations is that it comes with everything
you need, including a good screen previewer and printer drivers. There is also
an implementation of dvips on MSDOS that has been tweaked to use some of
emtex's special features.

--
Russell Fulton, Computer Center, University of Auckland, New Zealand.
<rj_fulton@aukuni.ac.nz>