[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Garbo incoming directories are not for download

ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi) (05/04/91)

In article <1991May3.180400.17102@aplcen.apl.jhu.edu> tcs@mailer.jhuapl.edu (Carl Schelin) writes:
>A just posted utility, Free v1.3 has been updated to version 1.9 and is now
>available at garbo.uwasa.fi in ~pc/incoming/free19.zip. I don't know if this
>directory is readable but I assume that Timo (or whomever) will be placing
>it in a dos utility directory soon.
:

It is in the /pc/diskutil directory as I announced in another
posting.

But my true subject is for general information.  Life is full of
rules and restrictions, and here is a very important DON'T.  Our
incoming directory is strictly meant for uploads only.  User's
should not try to download anything from it, nor should the authors
give such an impression.  (Carl, definitely not a flame.  Just to
the atttention of all you kind garbo.uwasa.fi uploaders, whom we
very much appreciate).  What's more we try to minize the time
anything stays in the incoming directories.  There is a regular
polling system to move them out of reach as quickly as possible.  So
trying to download from the incoming directories is not even
rational.

There are two main resons for forbidding any download attempts from
the incoming directories.  First we want to check the material sent
to us, even if it means delays for their release.  Second, we want
to prevent any potential misuse of the incoming directories as a
junction (and we will take any necessay further steps to see to this
if need be).

Prof. Timo Salmi
Moderating at garbo.uwasa.fi anonymous ftp archives 128.214.12.37

tcs@mailer.jhuapl.edu (Carl Schelin) (05/06/91)

In article <1991May4.070033.165@uwasa.fi>, ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi) says:

>In article <1991May3.180400.17102@aplcen.apl.jhu.edu> tcs@mailer.jhuapl.edu (Carl Schelin) writes:
>...  Our
>incoming directory is strictly meant for uploads only. ...
>There are two main resons for forbidding any download attempts from
>the incoming directories. ...

Let's not forget the third reason, checking for virii (viruses?). Hey, no problem.
That was why I said that I didn't know whether you could even download
from there.

On that note.

I updated Free again (whew!). I am now at version 1.10 (that's one point ten).
I found the device header codes for the following:

    Dos 5.x Local Drive
    Virtual Ram Disk (VDisk, RamDrive and LesDisk)
    Virtual Ram Disk (Intel QuickMem)
    Virtual Ram Disk (PC Magazine's XpanDisk)
    Virtual Ram Disk (Tommy Frandsen's VGADisk)
    Virtual Ram Disk (David Lee's MemBrain, Gary Cramblitt's AdjRam or
          RamDrv)
    Virtual Ram Disk (John White's Ram or Vladimir Lanin's VDiskDD)

I received a message from someone who found that XpanDisk wasn't on my
list and then pointed to wuarchive...ramdisk. I ftp'd all the ramdisk software,
checked all the codes and modified Free accordingly.

I've uploaded to garbo again, but you'll have to wait until they put it in the util
directory. You can also get it from wuarchive.wustl.edu pub/MSDOS_UPLOADS
/free110.zip.

Someone help me out, how can I upload to SIMTEL? I've tried to access but
it seems that everytime I try, I get too many anonymous users and dropped
off. I don't have afterhours access to it so late night uploading will not work.
Ideas? Maybe someone else can post for me.

Thanks up front...

Carl Schelin