[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Looking For...

brs@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Brian Stupar) (10/09/90)

does anyone out there know where i can find copies of
LEX, AWK, and/or YACC ported to DOS??  are they actually
marketed, or just shareware/freeware??

any help would be greatly appreciated!!

thanks in advance,
brian r. stupar
brs@unix.cis.pitt.edu.UUCP

neman@sunee.waterloo.edu (Neman_Syed) (10/09/90)

Hi!  I'm looking for coprocessor emulators for both the 287 and 387
chips.  PD would be most appreciated.  If some kind soul could
point to an FTP directory, that would be most outstanding, dude!
Posting a response is up to you (as opposed to mailing me) cuz I
think it would be useful.

Sorry for any netiquette errors.  I'm getting used to this.

Neman Syed
neman@sunee.uwaterloo.ca
neman@108.watstar.uwaterloo.ca

w8sdz@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Keith Petersen) (10/09/90)

brs@unix.cis.pitt.edu.UUCP (Brian Stupar) writes:
>does anyone out there know where i can find copies of
>LEX, AWK, and/or YACC ported to DOS??  are they actually
>marketed, or just shareware/freeware??

Please download SIMIBM.ARC from directory pd1:<msdos.filedocs> on
WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL [26.2.0.74].  It is a complete index of all
msdos files, with descriptions.

Directory PD1:<MSDOS.TXTUTL>
 Filename   Type Length   Date    Description
BISON110.ZIP  B  268304  900725  Bison v1.10, yacc-compatible parser generator
LEX_YACC.ARC  B  182821  900301  Lex/Yacc compiler compiler, w/Turbo Pascal src

Directory PD1:<MSDOS.AWK>
 Filename   Type Length   Date    Description
AWK214.ZIP    B   77831  900522  Rob Duff's AWK interpreter, v2.14
AWK300.ZIP    B   86767  900713  AWK text scanning and processing language
AWK_REV3.ZIP  B   14085  900522  Reviews of AWK for MS-DOS, v3
G210DOC.ARC   B  298944  890412  Documentation for GNU AWK v2.10
GAWK211.ZIP   B  198899  900417  Official release of GNU AWK v2.11 for MSDOS
PHF.ARC       B    1751  891208  AWK code for handling phone/address database

Keith
--
Keith Petersen
Co-SysOp, Detroit Download Central 313-885-3956 (212/V22bis/HST/V32/V42bis)

neman@sunee.waterloo.edu (Neman_Syed) writes:
>Hi!  I'm looking for coprocessor emulators for both the 287 and 387
>chips.  PD would be most appreciated.  If some kind soul could
>point to an FTP directory, that would be most outstanding, dude!
>Posting a response is up to you (as opposed to mailing me) cuz I
>think it would be useful.

From the SIMTEL20 index:

Directory PD1:<MSDOS.SYSUTL>
 Filename   Type Length   Date    Description
387.ZIP       B   24147  900523  Software emulation of 80387 coprocessor chip
EM87V1_3.ARC  B   13073  900306  8087 math coprocessor emuulator for AT or 386

Keith
--
Keith Petersen
Co-SysOp, Detroit Download Central 313-885-3956 (212/V22bis/HST/V32/V42bis)
Internet: w8sdz@vela.acs.oakland.edu, w8sdz@brl.mil  BITNET: w8sdz@NDSUVM1
Uucp: {ames,decwrl,harvard,rutgers,ucbvax,uunet}!vela.acs.oakland.edu!w8sdz

raymond@math.berkeley.edu (Raymond Chen) (10/09/90)

In article <3324@vela.acs.oakland.edu>, w8sdz@vela (Keith Petersen) writes:

Mr. Petersen, Prof. Salmi, and I keep repeating this suggestion, but
people don't seems to get the hint.

As stated in the Frequently Asked Questions, you can obtain instructions
on how to use the index server at math.princeton.edu by sending mail
to rjc@math.princeton.edu with a blank subject and containing the single
word

	help

in the body.  Do not append a signature or prepend any goofiness.

In a few hours, you should receive instructions on how to send index
search requests.  The server contains the indexes for simtel20,
chyde, and grape; I update the indexes every month or so, as time
permits.

People with ftp capability can ftp all of the indexes from
math.princeton.edu (128.112.128.157) from the directory pub/rjc/csip.
And if you ask me privately, I'll even send you the "lookup" program
that searches these indexes.

millerje@holst.cs.colostate.edu (jeffrey scott miller) (02/05/91)

I am looking for the following two programs, which I can't find on any
ftp site...

1. [name forgotten] - a program that will catalog gifs in vga or super-vga
   by placing about 12 gifs onto one screen, grayscale for vga, color for
   super-vga

2. 704k - one of several programs that gave your dos area 704k of available
   memory (with expanded memory)

many thanks in advance

|  "NUKE THE UNBORN GAY WHALES!"       |  Jeff Miller                         |
|             - graffiti               |  millerje@handel.CS.ColoState.Edu    |
|_____________________________________________________________________________|

kimes@cbnewsc.att.com (Kit Kimes) (02/05/91)

From article <12535@ccncsu.ColoState.EDU>, by (jeffrey scott miller):
> I am looking for the following two programs, which I can't find on any
> ftp site...
>
> 1. [name forgotten] - a program that will catalog gifs in vga or super-vga
>    by placing about 12 gifs onto one screen, grayscale for vga, color for
>    super-vga

I don't know if this is the program you are referring to, but there is a
program on SIMTEL called GIFDE32A.ZIP in directory <MSDOS-GIF>.

The only description of it is that you can view several GIF's at one
time and that it requires VGA with >= 512K.  Since I don't have VGA,
I didn't download the program.

Kit Kimes
AT&T Bell Labs
Naperville, IL
...!att!iwtsa!kimes

There was a program posted to the alt.graphics.pixutils or alt.sources
which did this, but I don't remember it being a DOS program. I can dig
out the program if you have a machine which can run it. Needs serious
ram, though.
    sysop *IX BBS and Public Access UNIX

sheinfel@grad1.cis.upenn.edu (Aviad Sheinfeld) (02/09/91)

In article <12535@ccncsu.ColoState.EDU> millerje@holst.cs.colostate.edu (jeffrey scott miller) writes:
>I am looking for the following two programs, which I can't find on any
>ftp site...
>
>1. [name forgotten] - a program that will catalog gifs in vga or super-vga
>   by placing about 12 gifs onto one screen, grayscale for vga, color for
>   super-vga
>
>many thanks in advance

>|                                                                             |
>|  "NUKE THE UNBORN GAY WHALES!"       |  Jeff Miller                         |
>|             - graffiti               |  millerje@handel.CS.ColoState.Edu    |
>|_____________________________________________________________________________|

There is supposedly a program called GRAFCAT out which displays 16

pictures per page and drives any LaserJet or PostScript printer.  It

can display any combination of GIF, PCX, MacPaint, TIFF, WPG, MSP,

IFF/LBM, EPS, BMP, PIC, and IMG files.  Contact Alchemy Mindworks

Inc., P.O.Box 500, Beeton, Ontario, L0G 1A0, Canada (no phone #).

Aviad

--
Aviad Sheinfeld			 Internet:  sheinfel@grad1.cis.upenn.edu
4400 Spruce St.  Apt E-5

jemohler@ece3.icaen.uiowa.edu (Jeff Mohler,,,) (02/09/91)

From article <37207@netnews.upenn.edu>, by sheinfel@grad1.cis.upenn.edu (Aviad Sheinfeld):
> In article <12535@ccncsu.ColoState.EDU> millerje@holst.cs.colostate.edu (jeffrey scott miller) writes:
>>I am looking for the following two programs, which I can't find on any
>>ftp site...
>>
>>1. [name forgotten] - a program that will catalog gifs in vga or super-vga
>>   by placing about 12 gifs onto one screen, grayscale for vga, color for
>>   super-vga
>>
>>many thanks in advance

I have it...GIFDESK.

Send me E-Mail if you also want it.
It will be in UNIX uuencoded compressed.

Mpython..

| jemohler@icaen.uiowa.edu                      jmohler@primea.weeg.uiowa.edu |
| jemohler@pogo.ai.mit.edu                       jmohler@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu |
| Jeff_Mohler@f656.n283.z1.fidonet.org -- I.S.C.A. BBS Sysop                  |
| Jeff_Mohler@f657.n283.z1.fidonet.org -- REC/NEC region 14                   |
| --------------------------------------------------------------------------- |
| "The Surgeon General reports that breathing in all likeliness causes cancer"|

millerje@holst.cs.colostate.edu (jeffrey scott miller) (02/15/91)

I was wondering where, if any such programs exist, I could find:

1.  A program that will convert pre-turbo pascal 6.0 TPU's into tp6.0 compat.
    TPU's.

2.  A TPU or Turbo C library that will do 3-D graphics (such as rotation among
    x, y, z axes as well as hidden line removal).  There was a program called
    "three-d.arc" on simtel, but it only included a .tpu, and so it won't
    compile under tp6.0 (hence request #1)

*char ASBESTOS_SUIT[]=
{Before you flame:  #2 is for a private project, not for schoolwork!  In fact,
i don't care if source-code is included or not, just the .tpu or library and
some docs on the function usage.  Don't jump to any conclusions!}

many thanks... by the way, the last program i requested, which will view many
gifs on one vga or svga screen in called "gifdesk" and ison simtel20 as
gifde32a.zip... excellent program and freeware!

ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi) (02/16/91)

In article <12823@ccncsu.ColoState.EDU> millerje@holst.cs.colostate.edu (jeffrey scott miller) writes:
>I was wondering where, if any such programs exist, I could find:
>
>1.  A program that will convert pre-turbo pascal 6.0 TPU's into tp6.0 compat.
>    TPU's.

This has been discussed a fair bit in comp.lang.pascal, and the
conclusion is that the only way of converting is having the actual
source code.  In other words the view is that no such direct TPU
conversion program is even possible.

Prof. Timo Salmi
Moderating at garbo.uwasa.fi anonymous ftp archives 128.214.12.37

drose@draco.bison.mb.ca (Dave Rose) (05/03/91)

Hello,

      I am looking for a DOS utility like unix's 'CAT'. Basicly I want to
piece together several files into one large one.

Thanks in advance...

                  |    UUCP: cc.umanitoba.ca!bison!draco!drose
   Dave Rose      |Internet: drose@draco.bison.mb.ca
    Box 403       |
Winnipeg, Manitoba|"My Suspicion is that the universe is not only
    R2M 5H3       | queerer than we suppose, but queerer than we CAN
(204) 256-6975    | suppose.

carlf@agora.rain.com (Carl Fago) (05/04/91)

In article <uqRc21w164w@draco.bison.mb.ca> drose@draco.bison.mb.ca (Dave Rose) writes:
>Hello,
>
>      I am looking for a DOS utility like unix's 'CAT'. Basicly I want to
>piece together several files into one large one.
>
>Thanks in advance...
You can use the copy command to do this.  I.e. to combine foo.1, foo.2 & foo.3
you can issue the following command:

   copy foo.1 + foo.2 + foo.3 foo.tot

Where foo.tot will be the concatenation of the three foo files.

Hope this helps.

--
+---------------------------------------------+------------------------------+
| *-=Carl=-*  INTERNET - carlf@agora.rain.com |  A generation which ignores  |

w8sdz@rigel.acs.oakland.edu (Keith Petersen) (05/04/91)

drose@draco.bison.mb.ca (Dave Rose) writes:
>I am looking for a DOS utility like unix's 'CAT'. Basicly I want to
>piece together several files into one large one.

WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL [192.88.110.20]

Directory PD1:<MSDOS.TXTUTL>
 Filename   Type Length   Date    Description
CONCAT10.ARC  B    7971  890519  Copy multiple text files to file/ptr/console

--
Keith Petersen
Maintainer of SIMTEL20's MSDOS, MISC and CP/M archives  -  [192.88.110.20]

ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi) (05/04/91)

In article <uqRc21w164w@draco.bison.mb.ca> drose@draco.bison.mb.ca (Dave Rose) writes:
>      I am looking for a DOS utility like unix's 'CAT'. Basicly I want to
>piece together several files into one large one.

The ordinary MsDos copy can be used to do that.  The manual gives
the details.

valley@gsbsun.uchicago.edu (Doug Dougherty) (05/04/91)

ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi) writes:

>In article <uqRc21w164w@draco.bison.mb.ca> drose@draco.bison.mb.ca (Dave Rose) writes:
>>      I am looking for a DOS utility like unix's 'CAT'. Basicly I want to
>>piece together several files into one large one.

>The ordinary MsDos copy can be used to do that.  The manual gives
>the details.

The DOS "COPY" command is a bad thing, as the following scenario shows:

	Sps FILE1 is big (several megs)

	Then when you do:
		COPY FILE1+FILE2
	it spends a lot of time recopying FILE1.  Why?  Good question.

Also, DOS COPY does funny stuff with ^Zs that should be avoided.
--

	(Another fine mess brought to you by valley@gsbsun.uchicago.edu)

ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi) (05/05/91)

In article <1991May4.152724.26011@midway.uchicago.edu> valley@gsbsun.uchicago.edu (Doug Dougherty) writes:
:
>The DOS "COPY" command is a bad thing, as the following scenario shows:

No one claimed that its a good, fast solution.  It is _a_ solution.
But in the meanwhile it gets things done.  Another makeshift MsDos
scenario is a batch file using for and type commands with
redirection.

>Also, DOS COPY does funny stuff with ^Zs that should be avoided.

The /b switch (or omitting it) gives some flexibility.

Followups goto comp.os.msdos.programmer

wgarmil@hawk.ulowell.edu (WildCard) (05/08/91)

In article <6293@vela.acs.oakland.edu> w8sdz@wsmr-simtel20.army.mil writes:
>drose@draco.bison.mb.ca (Dave Rose) writes:
>>I am looking for a DOS utility like unix's 'CAT'. Basicly I want to
>>piece together several files into one large one.

Hmm.  Maybe I'm missing something here, but I do this all the time with
the dos copy command.  Or is this method too simple for what you're trying
to do (the preceding is NOT a flame, just a poorly worded sentence :)?

--
   _     __  _      __                    Remember:  The WildCard always stacks
  ' )   /   //   / /  )            /      the deck in his favor.  Anyone care

clb@hp835.mitek.com (Chris Boyd) (05/08/91)

In article <1991May7.182320.16782@ulowell.ulowell.edu> wgarmil@hawk.ulowell.edu (WildCard) writes:
>In article <6293@vela.acs.oakland.edu> w8sdz@wsmr-simtel20.army.mil writes:
>>drose@draco.bison.mb.ca (Dave Rose) writes:
>>>I am looking for a DOS utility like unix's 'CAT'. Basicly I want to
>>>piece together several files into one large one.
>>
>Hmm.  Maybe I'm missing something here, but I do this all the time with
>the dos copy command.  Or is this method too simple for what you're trying
>to do (the preceding is NOT a flame, just a poorly worded sentence :)?
How about type?  I.e.:
	type file01 > bigfile
	type file02 >> bigfile
	type file03 >> bigfile
--
(*---------------------------------------------------------------------------*)
(* Chris Boyd          OpenConnect Systems, Inc.          clb@mips.mitek.com *)

rschmidt@copper.ucs.indiana.edu (roy schmidt) (05/09/91)

In article <uqRc21w164w@draco.bison.mb.ca> drose@draco.bison.mb.ca (Dave Rose) writes:
>Hello,
>
>      I am looking for a DOS utility like unix's 'CAT'. Basicly I want to
>piece together several files into one large one.

COPY file.one+file.two bigfile

You can concatenate any number of files, use wildcards, set up copy of a
binary file(s) to read past the "EOF" marker, etc.  Just pick up The
Friendly Manual and Read it!  :-)

>Thanks in advance...

No problem.  This is just one example of many where you already own the
utility you are looking for!

Roy Schmidt                 |  #include <disclaimer.h>
Indiana University          |  /* They are _my_ thoughts, and you can't
Graduate School of Business |     have them, so there!  */