[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] using \TMP

valley@gsbsun.uchicago.edu (Doug Dougherty) (05/04/91)

gordon@prls.UUCP (G Vickers) writes:

>In article <1991Apr25.182716.27779@cbfsb.att.com> mbb@cbnewsb.cb.att.com (martin.brilliant) writes:
>>
>>Elvis seems to want a directory called \TMP in your root directory.
>>If you have only one hard drive, that would be C:\TMP - I haven't
>>tried running Elvis in D: or E: yet.
>>

>       Since \TMP is for transisional stuff I would recommend NOT having
>   it on the hardrive.  I set an enviromental variable to define \TMP
>   as being on one of my floppy drives , or I'll specify \TMP during a
>   program configuration.  The goal is to minimize the number of short
>   lived files on the hard drive since this leads to fragmentation.  It's
>   much easier to reformat a fragmented floppy.

Surely, this is a joke...

But seriously, I think what Gordon meant to say is that it should go
on a RAMdisk.
--

	(Another fine mess brought to you by valley@gsbsun.uchicago.edu)

craig@med.unc.edu (Ron Craig) (05/09/91)

Dangerous suggestions from both of you!

In article <1991May4.150418.25635@midway.uchicago.edu> valley@gsbsun.uchicago.edu (Doug Dougherty) writes:
>gordon@prls.UUCP (G Vickers) writes:
>>       Since \TMP is for transisional stuff I would recommend NOT having
>>   it on the hardrive.  I set an enviromental variable to define \TMP
>>   as being on one of my floppy drives , or I'll specify \TMP during a
>>   program configuration.  The goal is to minimize the number of short
>>   lived files on the hard drive since this leads to fragmentation.  It's
>>   much easier to reformat a fragmented floppy.
>Surely, this is a joke...
>But seriously, I think what Gordon meant to say is that it should go
>on a RAMdisk.
>	(Another fine mess brought to you by valley@gsbsun.uchicago.edu)

If you read the docs on Elvis, you will discover the purpose of this
directory and file is to hold a copy of the currently-edited file.

This is also how recoveries are made if either Elvis or your system crash.
Placing this tmp directory on a RAMdisk is *dangerous* since having to reset
your machine would mean losing your changes to the file for the *entire* last
editing session instead of only the *last change* you made to the file.
Be careful out there.

Note also that if you have any autoexec.bat code to clear our your tmp
directory on bootup, it should be careful *not* to delete elvis temporary
files since rebooting your machine would otherwise erase these files before
you could recover your editing.

See the docs for more information.
--
 Ron Craig                    inet-   craig@med.unc.edu