[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] A better reminder/cripple?

nraoaoc@nmt.edu (Daniel Briggs) (05/03/91)

After listening to all the "I hate crippleware" and "I hate
reminders", I wonder if we might not be able to put our heads
together, and come up with a scheme that would satisfy most people.
It seems pretty clear to me that either one of the above approaches
will alienate a substantial fraction of the author's buying public.

I'm just free associating here, but could we come up with a hybrid
approach that would work?  I'm thinking of a scheme where the user can
select which kind of annoyance they would like.  I can see the thing
being used as a crippleware editor with some sort of page limit, and
no nag screens.  When the user needs to edit something larger, he
throws a software switch, and it magically becomes nagware.  No
limits, but the user is reminded that the copy is unregistered, and he
really *should* do it.  No one gets caught by the "I have to edit N+1
pages by Monday" syndrome, the user gets reminded occasionally that
the product is unregistered, and he also isn't inundated by obnoxious
nag screens.  No, it's not perfect, but are there any gaping holes
that I have missed?  Can they be plugged?  Would the people who have
expressed extreme displeasure with one or the other of the mentioned
schemes be satisfied with a product that behaved like this?
--
This is a shared guest account, please send replies to
dbriggs@nrao.edu (Internet)    (505) 835-2974

Jeff Boyd <BOYDJ@QUCDN.QueensU.CA> (05/03/91)

I'm fond of the crippleware idea, but only one category thereof: the
program has ALL functions fully enabled, so that the user can test and
evaluate them. I become visibly angry when I test a "sample" program and
find that I can't completely test it because not all features have been
enabled !!

The "crippled" aspect becomes size. Limit the size of the database, the
size of file which can be edited, etc.. This is a common practice among
commercial vendors of mathematical software (the samples are often called
"education" versions, they have all features working, and are intended
for distribution at educational institutions).

You set the 'size' in such a way that the user doesn't get a tryout item
which solves their problems, yet gets a clear idea of how the product
works and its level of compatibility with their system.

As for source code ... my superficial opinion is that you should probably
give source (after registration, of course!) if you anticipate not being
able to provide long-term post-sale technical support. But this is an
ethics consideration.

galt@baby.dsd.es.com (Greg Alt - Perp) (05/03/91)

In article <1991May3.133447.21207@nmt.edu>, nraoaoc@nmt.edu (Daniel Briggs) writes:
> After listening to all the "I hate crippleware" and "I hate
> reminders", I wonder if we might not be able to put our heads
> together, and come up with a scheme that would satisfy most people.
> It seems pretty clear to me that either one of the above approaches
> will alienate a substantial fraction of the author's buying public.
>
> I'm just free associating here, but could we come up with a hybrid
> approach that would work?  I'm thinking of a scheme where the user can
> select which kind of annoyance they would like.  I can see the thing
> being used as a crippleware editor with some sort of page limit, and
> no nag screens.  When the user needs to edit something larger, he
> throws a software switch, and it magically becomes nagware.  No
> limits, but the user is reminded that the copy is unregistered, and he
> really *should* do it.  No one gets caught by the "I have to edit N+1
> pages by Monday" syndrome, the user gets reminded occasionally that
> the product is unregistered, and he also isn't inundated by obnoxious
> nag screens.  No, it's not perfect, but are there any gaping holes
> that I have missed?  Can they be plugged?  Would the people who have
> expressed extreme displeasure with one or the other of the mentioned
> schemes be satisfied with a product that behaved like this?

How about have a counter of some sort that keeps track of how many times the
program has been run...  Then, have it be crippleware 3/4 of the time?  Or
have an annoying pause and reminder the first time and then every 10th time...
Of course you could always get around this by making a copy, running it, doing
a diff on the files and modify the counter with debug...  Maybe use something
that looks at the current date?  Or it could be completely random...  How
about if you use the counter idea, but have it work perfectly for a certain
amount of time, then it magically becomes crippleware.
Another idea I have been kicking around is to release a fully functional
version, but give people something extra if they register.
Anyway, I'd like to hear any comments or other ideas...
   Greg

pac@babcock.cerc.wvu.wvnet.edu (Michael Packer) (05/04/91)

From article <1991May3.161211.2382@dsd.es.com>, by galt@baby.dsd.es.com (Greg Alt - Perp):

> In article <1991May3.133447.21207@nmt.edu>, nraoaoc@nmt.edu (Daniel Briggs) writes:
[... lots cut out about why some guy hates shareware ...]

> Another idea I have been kicking around is to release a fully functional
> version, but give people something extra if they register.

	this is the same thing...crippled means some functions
do not work...your just rearranging the words...

"xxxx is only available to registered users"
"registers users get xxxxx"

same thing :)

--
      --    These are my own opinions, why else would I say this --
               Michael A. Packer ==>  pac@cerc.wvu.wvnet.edu

cccstevn@underdog.ucdavis.edu (Steve Ansell) (05/04/91)

In article <1991May3.161211.2382@dsd.es.com> galt@baby.dsd.es.com (Greg Alt - Perp) writes:

>How about have a counter of some sort that keeps track of how many times the
>program has been run...  Then, have it be crippleware 3/4 of the time?  Or
>have an annoying pause and reminder the first time and then every 10th time...
>Of course you could always get around this by making a copy, running it, doing
>a diff on the files and modify the counter with debug...  Maybe use something
>that looks at the current date?  Or it could be completely random...  How
>about if you use the counter idea, but have it work perfectly for a certain
>amount of time, then it magically becomes crippleware.
>Another idea I have been kicking around is to release a fully functional
>version, but give people something extra if they register.
>Anyway, I'd like to hear any comments or other ideas...
>   Greg

   While your at it why not just make a fully functional program that is only
useful for a limited amount of time?  Many shareware programs already say that
there is a time limit before which you "should" register, so why not just make
this the limit during which the program is usable.  Granted this will not stop
the tricky debug hacker from patching the program to get rid of the time limit,
but there are very few schemes that will stop a knowledgable "debug"er.
   As was said before, this discussion does not belong in c.b.i.p.d so I have
redirected follow-ups to comp.misc.  Please move further discussion to that,
or another apropriate group.

--
						-Steven T. Ansell
						Unix Consultant

scott@kong.gatech.edu (Scott Coulter) (05/04/91)

In article <1680@babcock.cerc.wvu.wvnet.edu> pac@babcock.cerc.wvu.wvnet.edu (Michael Packer) writes:
>> Another idea I have been kicking around is to release a fully functional
>> version, but give people something extra if they register.
>
>this is the same thing...crippled means some functions do not work...your just
>rearranging the words...  "xxxx is only available to registered users"
>			   "registers users get xxxxx"
>same thing :)

I think there is an implied difference of intention here.  In other words,
the features which are available to registered users should be special
extras, not key features of the program.  For instance, with a word processor,
omitting the "Save File" function would be crippling it, whereas offering a
built-in spell-checker to registered users would be an extra feature.

Scott D. Coulter				"Nose against the grindstone,
scott@cc.gatech.edu				 it feels real good; watch out!
Georgia Tech Software Research Center		 it's Dog Eat Dog..."   Weird Al

ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi) (05/04/91)

In article <1991May3.133447.21207@nmt.edu> dbriggs@nrao.edu (Daniel Briggs) writes:
>After listening to all the "I hate crippleware" and "I hate
>reminders", I wonder if we might not be able to put our heads
>together, and come up with a scheme that would satisfy most people.

I wish, but remember that in a crowd "Where there is a will - there
is a won't".  :-) :-) :-).

This is a subject that tangents c.b.i.b.d in a certain sense.  To
redirect followups or not to redirect, that is the question.  But
perhaps we should gradually either close this down, or reconsider
where we'll continue this discussion.

Prof. Timo Salmi
Moderating at garbo.uwasa.fi anonymous ftp archives 128.214.12.37

ras671@unhd.unh.edu (Robert A Seace) (05/05/91)

	I say simply release a full-function version without a bunch of
annoying "Register or die!" messages, and if people like the program and
aren't pirates they'll register the thing.  The crippled and annoying
programs won't do anything to force those who aren't going to register
anyway (i.e. pirates) to register, and might end up pissing-off someone
who might have registered, so that now they won't register.  If people
are going to use a program without registering it, there is absolutely
nothing that you can do to ensure that they register it, so why bother to
go to the extra trouble of having two versions of your program: a crippled
or annoying unregistered version and a fully-functional, non-annoying
registered version?

 ||=========================================================================||
 ||  Robert A. Seace  ||  Sophomore at UNH  ||  Email: ras671@unhd.unh.edu  ||
 ||=========================================================================||
"Who was that?" "Who--the man with the five heads and the elderberry bush full
 of kippers?" "Yes." "I don't know. Just someone." "Ah." - THGTTG

Live long and prosper.

jcollier@ariel.ucs.unimelb.edu.au (John Donald Collier) (05/05/91)

For what it is worth, as a shareware usere who has registeed 8
programs I am happy with, any restrictions on a program, especially
reminders at crucial times, lead me to downgrade the desirability of
the program. I won't say it rules it out entirely, but I have never
taken such a program ahead of a shareware program that does not have
htese features. I could go into my reasoning, but it might tendf
towards the slanderous, so I won't. I have been uniformly happy with the
programs I have obtained through tis filtre, and would be happy to recommend
them to others via private mail.

--
John Collier 				Email: Collier@HPS.unimelb.edu.au
HPS -- University of Melbourne		       jcollier@ariel.ucs.unimelb.edu

kds@physics (Kevin Stokes) (05/07/91)

In article <1991May4.195941.20614@unhd.unh.edu> ras671@unhd.unh.edu (Robert A Seace) writes:

>	I say simply release a full-function version without a bunch of
>annoying "Register or die!" messages, and if people like the program and
>aren't pirates they'll register the thing.

  I disagree with the above statement, as a shareware author, I can say
from experience, that few people will register unless there is a reason.
How many people use PKZIP everyday, and of those, how many do you think have
registered it?
  Most people like me have a very limited computer budget,  and given the
choice between throwing the money away on a product which I already have,
and buying something I really want, it's hard to do the right thing.
  Putting fully functional shareware on the market with no disadvantage to
the unregistered users is like putting $50 cash on every sidewalk corner
with a note saying "You may borrow this $50 if you need it, but please
return it with interest after a couple weeks."  How many bills would be
returned?  One must be realistic.
  Most of the shareware which use and don't register is software which
I would never buy in the store if at that cost.  Who would go out and buy
a keyboard buffer extender for $50, when Power C compiler with 600 page
printed manual costs $20?
  My product notes the date when the user installs it, then allows full
use without reminders for 1 week, and then asks for registration, or
else the user must reinstall it.  The fee is $5.00.  I reply to the
customer with a hexidecimal code which makes the program they already
have work without interruption.  It's hackable, but who wants to bother
when the program itself is only $5.00?
  I've received over 250 registrations, but if the program had no protection,
I'll bet I would've gotten no more than 10.
  And of course if I'd charged $50, I would've gotten zero.

--
	Kevin Stokes
	Duke University Dept. of Physics	kds@phy.duke.edu

mpd@anomaly.sbs.com (Michael P. Deignan) (05/08/91)

kds@physics (Kevin Stokes) writes:

>  I disagree with the above statement, as a shareware author, I can say
>from experience, that few people will register unless there is a reason.
>How many people use PKZIP everyday, and of those, how many do you think have
>registered it?

If you took the time to do a "pkzip -l", twit, you would see:

<start quote>

You are free to use, copy, and distribute PKZIP for noncommercial use IF:
	NO FEE IS CHARGED FOR USE, COPYING, OR DISTRIBUTION.
	IT IS NOT MODIFIED IN ANY WAY.

<end quote>

Guess what that means? That means I don't have to pay a DIME to use PKZIP or
PKUNZIP!

>with a note saying "You may borrow this $50 if you need it, but please
>return it with interest after a couple weeks."  How many bills would be
>returned?  One must be realistic.

Most shareware is shit. Good shareware packages eventually become
commercial.

>  Most of the shareware which use and don't register is software which
>I would never buy in the store if at that cost.  Who would go out and buy
>a keyboard buffer extender for $50, when Power C compiler with 600 page
>printed manual costs $20?

Maybe if the author put a reasonable price on the package to begin with,
he/she would get more registrations.

>  My product notes the date when the user installs it, then allows full
>use without reminders for 1 week, and then asks for registration, or
>else the user must reinstall it.

And, if for some reason, the user only uses it once that week?

MD
--
--  Michael P. Deignan                      / Since I *OWN* SBS.COM,
--  Domain: mpd@anomaly.sbs.com            /  These Opinions Generally

coy@ssc-vax (Stephen B Coy) (05/08/91)

In article <1680@babcock.cerc.wvu.wvnet.edu> pac@babcock.cerc.wvu.wvnet.edu (Michael Packer) writes:
>From article <1991May3.161211.2382@dsd.es.com>, by galt@baby.dsd.es.com (Greg Alt - Perp):
>> In article <1991May3.133447.21207@nmt.edu>, nraoaoc@nmt.edu (Daniel Briggs) writes:
>> Another idea I have been kicking around is to release a fully functional
>> version, but give people something extra if they register.
>
>	this is the same thing...crippled means some functions
>do not work...your just rearranging the words...

With my ray tracer I've been thinking about buying a 386 specific
compiler to gain the extra 25% speedup available.  In case you
haven't noticed, 386 compilers are still a little on the expensive
side.  What I've been thinking about is releasing a verison compiled
to run on any system and only sending out the 386 compiled version
to those who register.  This would help offset the costs of the new
compiler.  Would you still consider this "crippleware"?  In fact,
since the 386 version wouldn't run on an 8086 or a 80286 it would be
the crippled version.

Another thought.  I've seen fully functional shareware where the
"registration bonus" is a copy of the source code.  What about this?

>               Michael A. Packer ==>  pac@cerc.wvu.wvnet.edu

Stephen Coy
coy@ssc-vax.UUCP

				BDIF

ressler@CS.Cornell.EDU (Gene Ressler) (05/08/91)

Shareware is junk rings like bigotry.  Let's recall 4DOS and DeSmet C;
the former is what MS should send with DOS.  The latter is a very
usable small model compiler/debugger/editor that folks shelled
out $180 for until TC.  Yes there's a lot of junk, but the best
10% is worth sorting it out.

I have no qualm at all with a good shareware program doing something
to ensure I pay.  I've always thought a good way for interactive progs
is to warn on entry, then have no way of quitting back to DOS in the
non-registered version; you have to reboot.  Otherwise, you have
full capabilities and no persistent annoyances.  Of course
multitasking environments limit the effectiveness of this idea, unless
non-registered versions overtly don't support them.

It could be worse.  I've run Unix packages on NFS setups where
a special daemon had to be running before the package; it's purpose was
to count the number of people using at any instant and refuse
access if the number hit the license ceiling.  Talk about annoying...

Gene

sag@iplmail.orl.mmc.com (Steve Gabrilowitz) (05/08/91)

In article <1991May07.224227.7659@anomaly.sbs.com>, mpd@anomaly.sbs.com (Michael P. Deignan) writes:

|> Most shareware is shit. Good shareware packages eventually become
|> commercial.

How profound!  Could this possibly be because the shareware authors who are serious about providing high quality software eventually get tired of being ripped off?  The best way to help avoid the situation you mention is to REGISTER YOUR SHAREWARE!

--

                            Steve Gabrilowitz
                            Martin Marietta, Orlando Fl.

stephenc@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Stephen Chung) (05/09/91)

Have been following this thread for a while.  You see, all this is
just economics.  In econ, there is something called a 'free rider
problem'.  In other words, a person using shareware will think:
"Mmmmm....  If I register, I am out of pocket 20 bucks.  If I don't
register, somebody else will, and the author will keep up with the
upgrades anyway."  I am not saying that nobody will register; just
saying that those who don't and understandable also.

- Stephen