[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Disk/File Utility Needed

mrice@dip.eecs.umich.edu (Michael Rice) (05/11/91)

I am looking for a program that will look at certain specified
files in a directory then copy them to a floppy doing its best
to fill the floppy up completely.  It would have to choose files
to copy based on the free space on the floppy.

Does something like this exist?  If so let me know about it,
if not I'll have to write it myself I guess.

Thanks.

ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi) (05/11/91)

In article <1991May10.183052.29786@zip.eecs.umich.edu> mrice@dip.eecs.umich.edu (Michael Rice) writes:
>I am looking for a program that will look at certain specified
>files in a directory then copy them to a floppy doing its best
>to fill the floppy up completely.  It would have to choose files
>to copy based on the free space on the floppy.
>
>Does something like this exist?  If so let me know about it,
>if not I'll have to write it myself I guess.

pcopy###.zip (see directories /pc/diskutil and /pc/goldies at garbo,
or the relevant one at Simtel20, which is nearer you) can be used
also for this purpose.  Since it is a multipurpose copier, this does
not necessarrly preclude writing a specialized utility for it.

Prof. Timo Salmi
Moderating at garbo.uwasa.fi anonymous ftp archives 128.214.12.37

zuazaga@ucunix.san.uc.edu (Humberto Oritz-Zuazaga) (05/11/91)

In article <1991May10.183052.29786@zip.eecs.umich.edu> Michael Rice writes:
>I am looking for a program that will look at certain specified
>files in a directory then copy them to a floppy doing its best
>to fill the floppy up completely.

PC Mag has a set of utilities to manage files and directories, available
from simtel et al. as msdos/pcmag:

DIRMAG2.ARC   B   31693  891226  DIRMAGIC v2.0, upgraded DR/RN/CO from PC Mag.

The program called CO is the best of the lot, and can maybe solve your
problems.  It displays a scrolable directory listing, on which you can
mark files with the grey "+" and "-" keys.  Then you can perform an
action such as copy, delete, or move on all the tagged files.  If you
run out of disk space on the target, it a) skips to the next file, to
see if it will fit, b) leaves all UNPROCESSED files marked, so you can
change the floppy and try again.  The only thing this program is missing
is mouse support.

Good luck,
--
Humberto Ortiz-Zuazaga                               University of Cincinnati
                                                      Physiology & Biophysics

kai@kaiki.toppoint.de (Kai Voelcker) (05/14/91)

mrice@dip.eecs.umich.edu (Michael Rice) writes:
> files in a directory then copy them to a floppy doing its best
> to fill the floppy up completely. ...
> to copy based on the free space on the floppy.

I wrote a small program to do this. The algorithm is basing on the FFD -
algortihm (First-Fit-Decreasing) for the bin packing problem. It has a worst
case performance of 11/9 OPT and typically 1.03 OPT. It works for filling up
floppies with files very good.
If there is interest I can post it in this board.
| Kai Voelcker, Kappelner Str. 18, D-2300 Kiel 1, +49 431 335605 |
|           interests: masm, c, pascal;  OR Algorithms           |
| >>> polite notice: I have to pay for incoming mail. Thanks <<< |

<RWICHARY@ESOC.BITNET> (05/14/91)

Why don't you try

SIMTEL20's PD1:<MSDOS.FILUTL>fill30.arc
Intelligent copy - fill each floppy - mass cpy

It's a useful little program that gets the job done fast. I've been using
an earlier version for some time, and found only one "bug" there:
After copying 111 files to the root dir of your floppy, it forced you to
create a new subdir and continued copying there (floppy space permitting).

This is ok for a 360K 5.25" diskette, where the root dir holds only 112
entries; it's certainly annoying with HD diskettes that hold more.
On the other hand, this certainly didn't happen very often.
I also suspect that the new version (3.0), which is available at SIMTEL
now,has done away with this "bug", since it now supports multiple drives,
and many other features.    I still use the old release, since it had a very
nice feature, which appearently got lost on the way to the new version -or I
did not read the manual good enough :).
If you started "fill"ing your subdie to diskettes it would check the disk
capacity and tell you right at the start, how many diskettes were needed.
This is VERY useful; a pity it isn't there any more ...

Summarizing, FILL is a handsome little tool, that gets the job done, and
it has minor quirks, that you can easily live with.