[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Help with BITFTP access to GRAPE?

DAVE.JENKINS@OFFICE.WANG.COM (David E. Jenkins) (05/14/91)

I was intrigued by the postings about g++ and decided to get a copy.
Lacking FTP access, I tried to go through Princeton's BITNET FTP Server.
Here is what I got back...

>From: Princeton BITNET FTP Server <BITFTP1@pucc.princeton.edu>
>To: DAVE.JENKINS@office.wang.com
>Subject:  BITFTP REPLY
>
>12:44:43 > FTP grape.ecs.clarkson.edu UUENCODE
>12:44:43 > USER anonymous
>12:44:44 >>>> Access to GRAPE is not currently supported,
>12:44:44 >>>> due to protocol difficulties.

The obvious questions I have are...
     a) What does this really mean?   (TCP/IP versions?, Wierdness?)
     b) Is there anything I can do about it?  (Magic incantations?)
     c) Is there another way to get there?    (Other FTP Servers, etc.?)

In an attempt to be a good little dobee I checked my most recent SIMTEL20
listing before trying.  (Which, of course, doesn't mean I couldn't have missed
something.)  Any help is appreciated (email preferred, will post if usefull).

In article <b5dv58.7h9@wang.com> DAVE.JENKINS@OFFICE.WANG.COM (David E. Jenkins) writes:

   >From: Princeton BITNET FTP Server <BITFTP1@pucc.princeton.edu>
   >To: DAVE.JENKINS@office.wang.com
   >Subject:  BITFTP REPLY
   >
   >12:44:43 > FTP grape.ecs.clarkson.edu UUENCODE
   >12:44:43 > USER anonymous
   >12:44:44 >>>> Access to GRAPE is not currently supported,
   >12:44:44 >>>> due to protocol difficulties.

   The obvious questions I have are...
        a) What does this really mean?   (TCP/IP versions?, Wierdness?)
        b) Is there anything I can do about it?  (Magic incantations?)
        c) Is there another way to get there?    (Other FTP Servers, etc.?)

Actually, BITFTP ought to support grape now, because we've switched
grape from a PC running KA9Q to a Xenix box.  But anyway, anything you
can get via FTP you can also get via modem: (315)268-6667.  You may
need to generate a break -- Xenix doesn't autobaud well.

--
--russ <nelson@clutx.clarkson.edu> I'm proud to be a humble Quaker.
Clear cutting is criminal, spiking trees is criminal, and using hyperbole of

dj@ctron.com (DJ Delorie) (05/14/91)

In article <b5dv58.7h9@wang.com>, DAVE.JENKINS@OFFICE.WANG.COM (David E. Jenkins) writes:

> >From: Princeton BITNET FTP Server <BITFTP1@pucc.princeton.edu>
> >To: DAVE.JENKINS@office.wang.com
> >Subject:  BITFTP REPLY
> >
> >12:44:43 > FTP grape.ecs.clarkson.edu UUENCODE
> >12:44:43 > USER anonymous
> >12:44:44 >>>> Access to GRAPE is not currently supported,
> >12:44:44 >>>> due to protocol difficulties.

Grape is sysV, and it's FTP doesn't support BITFTP.

> The obvious questions I have are...
>      a) What does this really mean?   (TCP/IP versions?, Wierdness?)
>      b) Is there anything I can do about it?  (Magic incantations?)
>      c) Is there another way to get there?    (Other FTP Servers, etc.?)

I've gotten permission from the friendly neighborhood sysop at
Clarkson to upload g++ on their Unix archive as well as the DOS
archive.  The unix archive has its own mail-service system, called the
Archive Server.

To get instructions:

  % mail archive-server@sun.soe.clarkson.edu
  Subject: