[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Auto-Backup in WS2000

chatsubo@sys6626.bison.mb.ca (Wayne Hudson) (05/13/91)

I'm looking for some sort of TSR that'll make periodic backups
of the document you're working on in WordStar 2000 rel 3
(ie like WordPerfect does.  as far as I know, WS2000 doesn't)

Another alternative would be some sort of <beep> reminder that
went off every 5 min. to remind the user they should save their
work.  But something like this would have to be turned off/on,
ie when they quit, it shouldn't beep/remind them when they're
no longer editing and just sitting at DOS.

Anyone have any ideas?

                              | "From here on, things get
Wayne Hudson                  |  a *little* bit confusing."
 chatsubo@sys6626.bison.mb.ca |   - Rimmer, _Red Dwarf_

ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi) (05/14/91)

In article <qa7u22w164w@sys6626.bison.mb.ca> chatsubo@sys6626.bison.mb.ca (Wayne Hudson) writes:
>I'm looking for some sort of TSR that'll make periodic backups
>of the document you're working on in WordStar 2000 rel 3
>(ie like WordPerfect does.  as far as I know, WS2000 doesn't)
>
>Another alternative would be some sort of <beep> reminder that
>went off every 5 min. to remind the user they should save their
>work.  But something like this would have to be turned off/on,
>ie when they quit, it shouldn't beep/remind them when they're
>no longer editing and just sitting at DOS.
>
>Anyone have any ideas?

In fact you gave me an idea.  I have a timedown.exe resident clock
(timer) in /pc/ts/tstsr10.arc that can be set to run down, and then
give a single alarm.  I think I'll write a parallel program that
will give the periodic alarm that you suggest.

Prof. Timo Salmi
Moderating at garbo.uwasa.fi anonymous ftp archives 128.214.12.37

valley@gsbsun.uchicago.edu (Doug Dougherty) (05/14/91)

ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi) writes:

>In article <qa7u22w164w@sys6626.bison.mb.ca> chatsubo@sys6626.bison.mb.ca (Wayne Hudson) writes:
>>I'm looking for some sort of TSR that'll make periodic backups
>>of the document you're working on in WordStar 2000 rel 3
>>(ie like WordPerfect does.  as far as I know, WS2000 doesn't)
>>
>>Another alternative would be some sort of <beep> reminder that
>>went off every 5 min. to remind the user they should save their
>>work.  But something like this would have to be turned off/on,
>>ie when they quit, it shouldn't beep/remind them when they're
>>no longer editing and just sitting at DOS.
>>
>>Anyone have any ideas?

In fact, such beasts do exist.  You basically configure them to emit the
keyboard codes necessary to save in whatever application you run.  I've
seen these things.  Come to think of it, though, haven't seen any
recently.  Bet you could find one, though, if you scoured the various
archive sites.

>In fact you gave me an idea.  I have a timedown.exe resident clock
>(timer) in /pc/ts/tstsr10.arc that can be set to run down, and then
>give a single alarm.  I think I'll write a parallel program that
>will give the periodic alarm that you suggest.

You could certainly modify it to generate the scan codes automatically,
as described above.  Whaddya think?
--

	(Another fine mess brought to you by valley@gsbsun.uchicago.edu)