[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Why are McAffee Antivirals repacked using ZOO?

roeve@cip-s01.informatik.rwth-aachen.de (Michael Roevenich) (04/15/91)

Well, the subject says about everything: Why are those programs
repacked with ZOO? In their original ZIP-archive, they are packed
using the -AV-Option, which is supposed to be a guard against
tangling with its contents.

Thanks a lot

Michael

     /\  /\             Michael Roevenich
    /  \/  \            In der Laag 17
   /        \R          5160 Dueren 4
                        FRG

Internet: roeve@rwthi3.informatik.rwth-aachen.de
FIDO:     2:242/42.1 (Michael Roevenich)
Phone:    ++49/2421/82360   FAX: ++49/2421/85045

desimone@cse.uta.edu (David DeSimone) (05/09/91)

In article <1042@iiasa.UUCP> wnp@iiasa.AT (Wolf PAUL ) writes:
>roeve@cip-s01.informatik.rwth-aachen.de (Michael Roevenich) writes:
>+ Well, the subject says about everything: Why are those programs
>+ repacked with ZOO? In their original ZIP-archive, they are packed
>+ using the -AV-Option, which is supposed to be a guard against
>+ tangling with its contents.
>
>Because it is C.B.I.P. policy to package all postings in ZOO format.
>ZOO has the advantage of being fully functional in a wider range of
>hardware/software environments (including UNIX on practically any CPU)
>than ZIP or any of the other PC Archivers. It is available in source

>and is FREEWARE rather than Shareware.

Um...According to the license I read, PKZIP does not *require* a
registration fee, it only asks for one.  Isn't that freeware?
Also, ZIP is quickly gaining use on Unix machines.

>Anyway, how could any option to an archiver really guard against
>tampering? All you would have to do is unpack them (w/ pkunzip),
>tamper with them, and repack them (w/ zip -av), and you would be none
>the wiser.

The -AV option requires a special serial number, hopefully known only to
the original vendor who packed the archive.  Thus you cannot actually
recreate an archive with verification unless you are a serial number
holder, and that is controlled by PK-Ware.

--
David DeSimone, aka "Fuzzy Fox" on some networks.          /!/!
INET:    an207@cleveland.freenet.edu                      /  ..

jpc@fct.unl.pt (Jose Pina Coelho) (05/09/91)

In article <1042@iiasa.UUCP> wnp@iiasa.AT (Wolf PAUL ) writes:
>   Because it is C.B.I.P. policy to package all postings in ZOO format.
>   ZOO has the advantage of being fully functional in a wider range of
>   hardware/software environments (including UNIX on practically any CPU)
>   than ZIP or any of the other PC Archivers. It is available in source
>   and is FREEWARE rather than Shareware.
Yes, I like to check CRC's right on the UNIX machine, (after all my DOS
machine is five miles away).

>   Anyway, how could any option to an archiver really guard against
>   tampering? All you would have to do is unpack them (w/ pkunzip),
>   tamper with them, and repack them (w/ zip -av), and you would be none
>   the wiser.

Put it does, when you register under a certain name, PKware takes that
name an generates a KEY, that will be your key.  When you pack things
with -av you give both the name and the key.  When somebody extracts
the files, there is only the name and the cripted file.  It's a plain
problem of public keys.

There is a public key: MacAfee Associates
There is a private key: WhatDoIKnow ?

The zip file carries only the public key.

PKunzip can from the file and the public key check if a file has the
correct crc.

You can't from the public key and the cripted file guess what the
private key.

The time and effort necessary to break the system would be quite
superior to the one necessary to make a fake pkunzip that would
pretend to confirm the safeness of the zip file.

--
Jose Pedro T. Pina Coelho   | BITNET/Internet: jpc@fct.unl.pt
Rua Jau N 1, 2 Dto          | UUCP: ...!mcsun!unl!jpc

- If all men were brothers, would you let one marry your sister ?

ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi) (05/09/91)

In article <1042@iiasa.UUCP> wnp@iiasa.AT (Wolf PAUL ) writes:
:
>Anyway, how could any option to an archiver really guard against
>tampering? All you would have to do is unpack them (w/ pkunzip),
>tamper with them, and repack them (w/ zip -av), and you would be none
>the wiser.

Have you tried it?  If not, please do, and then let us know what
happened.  Unless I'm throughly mistaken you just might be in for a
surprise.

Prof. Timo Salmi
Moderating at garbo.uwasa.fi anonymous ftp archives 128.214.12.37

ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi) (05/14/91)

In article <1991May9.165210.20097@uwasa.fi> ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi) writes:
>In article <1042@iiasa.UUCP> wnp@iiasa.AT (Wolf PAUL ) writes:
>:
>>Anyway, how could any option to an archiver really guard against
>>tampering? All you would have to do is unpack them (w/ pkunzip),
>>tamper with them, and repack them (w/ zip -av), and you would be none
>>the wiser.
>
>Have you tried it?  If not, please do, and then let us know what
>happened.  Unless I'm throughly mistaken you just might be in for a
>surprise.

We obviously owe Wolf a collective apology.  If we read the virus
warning about SCANV78.ZIP, we'll see why.  ...  So this feature can
be hacked and mimicked after all.

   All the best, Timo

Prof. Timo Salmi
Moderating at garbo.uwasa.fi anonymous ftp archives 128.214.12.37

reisert@mast.enet.dec.com (Jim Reisert) (05/15/91)

Why not leave the VIRUSCAN software in it's original .ZIP form, then ZOO the
.ZIP  file  so  it  can be posted to comp.binaries.ibm.pc? Or did I miss the
point?

According to Keith, ZIP has to be ported to one more platform, then all the
files  on  SIMTEL20  will  probably be available in ZIPped form.  Why should
comp.binaries.ibm.pc be different?

- Jim

"The opinions expressed here in no way represent the views of Digital
 Equipment Corporation."

James J. Reisert                Internet:  reisert@mast.enet.dec.com
Digital Equipment Corp.         UUCP:      ...decwrl!mast.enet!reisert
146 Main Street			Voice:     508-493-5747
Maynard, MA  01754		FAX:       508-493-0395