[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Whereis postings revisited

ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi) (05/15/91)

In article <3735@naucse.cse.nau.edu> wew@naucse.cse.nau.edu (Bill Wilson) writes:
>One thing I think you should remember is that new people come on to the
>network every day.  They will not know what the "obvious" answers or

That is perfectly true, and that's why I (for one) have standard
answers to many of these questions, mostly in the form or pointers
where and how to look for information.  But naturally a suitable
balance must be struck beween pointers and full anwers.  In the case
of newcomers who need these pointers, please let's also remember
that the way for these welcome people to go is first to read these
messages for a suitable spell before starting to post.  That is the
most logical introduction anyway, and doing that answers many of the
trivial whereis postings, letting people concentrate on those which
need someone's special knowledge.  (I cannot say where the line is
between what is what are basic standard utilities, but common sense
should prevail).  Consider the fact that if there are too many easy
whereare questions, the difficult ones really needing the attention
might get less efforts because of that, and that would also be a
definite loss.

Some time ago there was a discussion about preparing a periodic
starters' message for the information seekers of this group.  I
wonder what is the state of that worthwhile project.

>knowledge.  If you want to be snotty, send the mail directly to them
>and not the net.

I have a deja vu about this part.  Now why would I want to be
snotty.  That would achieve nothing, and is not the way to go about
these things.  At least not my intention, even if I sometimes like
to attempt an occasional pun to lighten things up.  I try to help,
but I give often give the pointers rather than the complete answer
in my postings.  The reasons for this are that it is quicker, more
accurate, and in the long run teaches more than being hand-fed a
simple answer.  (I hope that you just used "you" here in a passive
sense instead of the more correct "one".  But note how delicate a
media this can be).

One further thought comes to mind from this.  Aren't readers
interested in the call for discussion for making the whereis
postings (and the archive information) separate groups.

Prof. Timo Salmi
Moderating at garbo.uwasa.fi anonymous ftp archives 128.214.12.37