[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] PKWare ZIP -AV cracked

w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL (Keith Petersen) (05/15/91)

I have received word from a reliable source that there is now a PKWare
ZIP authentication varification (-AV) cracker going around called
MAKEAV.  It will generate registration numbers so that people can
create their own serialized ZIPs.

MAKEAV was apparently used to make the bogus SCANV78.ZIP which was
warned about in a recent posting by McAfee Associates.

PKWare has been notified.

Keith
- - -
Keith Petersen
Maintainer of SIMTEL20's MSDOS, MISC and CP/M archives  -  [192.88.110.20]
Internet: w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.Army.Mil    or    w8sdz@vela.acs.oakland.edu
Uucp: uunet!wsmr-simtel20.army.mil!w8sdz             BITNET: w8sdz@OAKLAND

ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi) (05/16/91)

In article <W8SDZ.12685438486.BABYL@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL> w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL (Keith Petersen) writes:
>I have received word from a reliable source that there is now a PKWare
>ZIP authentication varification (-AV) cracker going around called
>MAKEAV.  It will generate registration numbers so that people can
>create their own serialized ZIPs.
:

Nasty business, indeed.  But it is also an example of the results of
the pressures caused by introducing into a major product such
features that are made available on very restricted basis.  Sooner
or later someone hacks.  Not nice, at all, but seems to be an
inevitable fact in the life of the global PC community.

Prof. Timo Salmi
Moderating at garbo.uwasa.fi anonymous ftp archives 128.214.12.37