[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] ZCOMM and vi

wjin@cs.uh.edu (Woochang Jin) (05/10/91)

I remember that Telix and vi problem in unix was discussed here and it could
be solved by turing off DESTRUCTIVE BACK SPACE.
I have the same problem with ZCOMM and vi in unix.
How can I do this in ZCOMM ?
Also, any other tips about using zcomm with UNIX environmet hosts
would be appreciated.

 ____   ____  ____ ____________________________________________________________
 |  |   |  |  |  |  Woochang Jin (wjin@cs.uh.edu)     Office - PGH574, PGH592
 |  |   |  |__|  |  Grad, System Administration.      Wed,Fri:  9:00-1:00
 |  |   |        |  Department of Computer Science    713-749-1748 (office)
 \  |---|  |--|  |  University of Houston             713-747-2130 (home)
  \____/|__|  |__| ____________________________________________________________

caf@omen.UUCP (Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX) (05/10/91)

In article <1991May9.214917.5513@menudo.uh.edu> wjin@cs.uh.edu (Woochang Jin) writes:
-I remember that Telix and vi problem in unix was discussed here and it could
-be solved by turing off DESTRUCTIVE BACK SPACE.
-I have the same problem with ZCOMM and vi in unix.
-How can I do this in ZCOMM ?
-Also, any other tips about using zcomm with UNIX environmet hosts
-would be appreciated.

ZCOMM's terminal emulation does not have destructive backspace.
When this function is needed, the backspace key is remapped to
send a backspace character and then perform a local destructive
backspace.

When using ZCOMM with Unix, use ZCOMM's "display vt100" command
and set the shell TERM variable to 5245, or vt102.  If 5245
isn't supported by termcap, vt100 may be used.

Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX          ...!tektronix!reed!omen!caf
Author of YMODEM, ZMODEM, Professional-YAM, ZCOMM, and DSZ
  Omen Technology Inc    "The High Reliability Software"
17505-V NW Sauvie IS RD   Portland OR 97231   503-621-3406
TeleGodzilla:621-3746 FAX:621-3735 CIS:70007,2304 Genie:CAF

wjin@csunb.cs.uh.edu (Woochang Jin) (05/11/91)

In article <108@omen.UUCP> caf@omen.UUCP (Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX) writes:
>In article <1991May9.214917.5513@menudo.uh.edu> wjin@cs.uh.edu (Woochang Jin) writes:
>-I remember that Telix and vi problem in unix was discussed here and it could
>-be solved by turing off DESTRUCTIVE BACK SPACE.
>-I have the same problem with ZCOMM and vi in unix.
>-How can I do this in ZCOMM ?
>
>ZCOMM's terminal emulation does not have destructive backspace.
>When this function is needed, the backspace key is remapped to
>send a backspace character and then perform a local destructive
>backspace.
>
>When using ZCOMM with Unix, use ZCOMM's "display vt100" command
>and set the shell TERM variable to 5245, or vt102.  If 5245
>isn't supported by termcap, vt100 may be used.

This I already did. It just doesn't work.
Why is it that the terminal displays blinking musical keys whenever I press
ESC in vi ?

-------
W. Jin

caf@omen.UUCP (Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX) (05/12/91)

In article <1991May10.195921.20408@menudo.uh.edu> wjin@csunb.UUCP (Woochang Jin) writes:
-This I already did. It just doesn't work.
-Why is it that the terminal displays blinking musical keys whenever I press
-ESC in vi ?

That's because you gave a "display bell=visual" command, which gives you a
visual (but non spacing) representation of the ASCII bell character instead
of the usual audible representation.  This has nothing to do with backspace,
except that vi rings the bell when you hit too many of them.

To restor the bell to normal operation, give a "display nobell=visual"
command.

wjin@csune.cs.uh.edu (Woochang Jin) (05/16/91)

In article <112@omen.UUCP> caf@omen.UUCP (Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX) writes:
>In article <1991May10.195921.20408@menudo.uh.edu> wjin@csunb.UUCP (Woochang Jin) writes:
>-This I already did. It just doesn't work.
>-Why is it that the terminal displays blinking musical keys whenever I press
>-ESC in vi ?
>
>That's because you gave a "display bell=visual" command, which gives you a
>visual (but non spacing) representation of the ASCII bell character instead
>of the usual audible representation.

Nope. I have never done that. Are you saying after you actually connect your
pc to unix system using zcommexe ?

>  This has nothing to do with backspace,
>except that vi rings the bell when you hit too many of them.

Well, going back to kermit.  There's nothing like kermit with unix.

------
W. Jin

shaunc@gold.gvg.tek.com (Shaun Case) (05/17/91)

In article <1991May16.050642.875@menudo.uh.edu> wjin@csune.UUCP (Woochang Jin) writes:

>Well, going back to kermit.  There's nothing like kermit with unix.

Don't you mean, "... nothing quite as bad as kermit with Unix?"

--
shaunc@gold.gvg.tek.com  atman%ecst.csuchico.edu@RELAY.CS.NET
Postmaster of 1:119/666  1@9651 (WWIVnet)

It's enough to destroy a young moose's faith! -- Bullwinkle

coshima@s.psych.uiuc.edu (Craig Oshima) (05/17/91)

wjin@csune.cs.uh.edu (Woochang Jin) writes:

>In article <112@omen.UUCP> caf@omen.UUCP (Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX) writes:
>>In article <1991May10.195921.20408@menudo.uh.edu> wjin@csunb.UUCP (Woochang Jin) writes:
>>-Why is it that the terminal displays blinking musical keys whenever I press
>>-ESC in vi ?
>>
>>That's because you gave a "display bell=visual" command, which gives you a
>>visual (but non spacing) representation of the ASCII bell character instead
>>of the usual audible representation.
>Nope. I have never done that. Are you saying after you actually connect your
>pc to unix system using zcommexe ?

Look in your phodir.t file and I bet you'll find a "display bell=visual"
command.  You don't need to actually type the command if it's in the
phodir.t file.

>Well, going back to kermit.  There's nothing like kermit with unix.

I'll stick with Zmodem myself.  :-)