[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Nortons 5.0

jay@umd5.umd.edu (Jay Elvove) (02/15/91)

Speaking of Norton 5.0, I've just received my upgrade and notice that
(among other things), there doesn't seem to be any more DS command.
I can find no reference to directory sorting in the manual.  Can someone
confirm that this feature is no longer included with the Norton Utilities?

--

Jay Elvove       jay@umd5.umd.edu
c/o Academic Software

linwood@cbnewsk.att.com (linwood.d.johnson) (02/15/91)

In article <8032@umd5.umd.edu>, jay@umd5.umd.edu (Jay Elvove) writes:

> Speaking of Norton 5.0, I've just received my upgrade and notice that
> (among other things), there doesn't seem to be any more DS command.
> I can find no reference to directory sorting in the manual.  Can someone
> confirm that this feature is no longer included with the Norton Utilities?

	You are absolutely right.  DS is not included with Norton 5.0.

	They claim it was replaced by SD (Speed Disk).  Although SD does
	sort the directories after  performing optimization, it is
	certainly no replacement for the standalone SD.  In the
	installation program there is an option to backup the 4.5 version
	programs into a separate directory.  This option will leave DS
	where it is.

	There is also a new version of FF that I don't lik as much as the
	old FF.  It incorporates the functionality from the old FF and TS
	(text search).  It makes you use either a very long command-line of
	the menu interface.
	Personally, I saved the old FF and renamed the new FF as FL.  I use
	the v4.5 FF 90% of the time and I use the v5 FF only when it can
	really help me.

	The new FF does a whole lot more, but, I like the old FF better.

	Just my $0.02 worth.

	Linwood D. Johnson
	linwood@ihlpf.att.com

--
| Linwood D. Johnson       |  linwood@ihlpf.att.com                 |
| AT&T Bell Labs, 1000 E. Warrenville Rd., Naperville, IL 60566     |

goodearl@world.std.com (Robert Goodearl) (02/15/91)

In article <8032@umd5.umd.edu> jay@umd5.umd.edu (Jay Elvove) writes:

>Speaking of Norton 5.0, I've just received my upgrade and notice that
>(among other things), there doesn't seem to be any more DS command.

There is no DS, but you can do the same operations from SD.  It's a little
slower to start up, but you can tell it to do just the directory sorts
without doing any disk optimization.  Also, as someone else has stated
in their reply, you can retain DS from the previous version when you
install 5.0.

--
Bob Goodearl -- goodearl@world.std.com

tim@zwaaney.uucp (Timothy De Zwaan) (02/16/91)

jay@umd5.umd.edu (Jay Elvove) writes:

> Speaking of Norton 5.0, I've just received my upgrade and notice that
> (among other things), there doesn't seem to be any more DS command.
> I can find no reference to directory sorting in the manual.  Can someone
> confirm that this feature is no longer included with the Norton Utilities?

Directory Sort (DS) is been rolled into Speed Disk (SD).  It's an option
on the sort order menu.  Because I find this clumsy at best, I've just
kept the old ds.exe from version 4.

I've kept a lot of things from the old version.  IMHO, version 5 was a
downgrade.

------

 Timothy De Zwaan                 zwaaney!tim@sactoh0.SAC.CA.US
 Zwaaney River                 ...ames!pacbell!sactoh0!zwaaney!tim
 Sacramento, California USA         Fidonet  1:203/6.23

jmerrill@jarthur.claremont.edu (Generic User) (02/18/91)

In article <yLcFX1w163w@zwaaney.uucp> tim@zwaaney.uucp (Timothy De Zwaan) writes:

>I've kept a lot of things from the old version.  IMHO, version 5 was a
>downgrade.

Hear, hear.  Ah, for the old days when you could unerase a file without
leaving Windows... #$Y%^ "You must switch to a single-tasking
environment..." #$%^&*...

Whatever happened to the "small tools" concept?  Why is Norton trying to
become PC Tools?

Jason Merrill

rschmidt@copper.ucs.indiana.edu (roy schmidt) (02/18/91)

Could you please take this discussion to comp.msdos.apps????
Roy Schmidt                 |  #include <disclaimer.h>
Indiana University          |  /* They are _my_ thoughts, and you can't
Graduate School of Business |     have them, so there!  */

qintar@agora.rain.com (Jim Seymour) (02/19/91)

jay@umd5.umd.edu (Jay Elvove) writes:
> Speaking of Norton 5.0, I've just received my upgrade and notice that
> (among other things), there doesn't seem to be any more DS command.
> I can find no reference to directory sorting in the manual.  Can someone
> confirm that this feature is no longer included with the Norton Utilities?
> --
> Jay Elvove       jay@umd5.umd.edu
> c/o Academic Software
> Comp. Sci. Center, Univ. of Md., College Park

Symantec offers the Norton 4.5 command-line utilities on a separate disk.
When I got my NU 5.0, there was a flyer to send away for the disk (it was
free) and I instantly mailed it off.  The disk has DS, the old FF (renamed
to FL), LP, FA, and a few others that I've forgotten now.  Call them up!
If enough people pester them about it, they should get the message.  I mean,
user-friendly software is all fine and dandy, but it should also be
*expert* friendly!

     -Jim Seymour                                    qintar@agora.UUCP
     Cipher Systems, Inc.,    P.O. Box 329,    North Plains, OR  97133

hartnegg@sun1.ruf.uni-freiburg.de (Klaus Hartnegg) (05/13/91)

tim@zwaaney.uucp (Timothy De Zwaan) writes:

>Directory Sort (DS) is been rolled into Speed Disk (SD).  It's an option
>on the sort order menu.  Because I find this clumsy at best, I've just
>kept the old ds.exe from version 4.

>I've kept a lot of things from the old version.  IMHO, version 5 was a
>downgrade.

This is what I thought too when seeing it the first time.
But then I noticed that all programs can accept lots of
command line options. With them it's easy to regain the
same functionality as with the old version. Even a bit more.
Also all programs show you a list of allowed options if
called with a question mark. Try for example "FF ?"
Klaus Hartnegg, Kleist-Str. 7, D-7835 Teningen, Germany | include standard
Bitnet : hartnegg@dfrruf1 or hartnegg@cernvm            | disclaimer here!
Internet : hartnegg@ibm.ruf.uni-freiburg.de             |

hartung@crl.ucsd.edu (Jeff Hartung) (05/17/91)

In article <1991May13.142418.24823@sun1.ruf.uni-freiburg.de> hartnegg@sun1.ruf.uni-freiburg.de (Klaus Hartnegg) writes:
>This is what I thought too when seeing it the first time.
>But then I noticed that all programs can accept lots of
>command line options. With them it's easy to regain the
>same functionality as with the old version. Even a bit more.

Speaking of NU 5.0, I seem to recall that a certain utility in the
package was supposedly associated with occasionally trashing the FAT on
one's hard drive.  Do I recall correctly, or am I mistaken?
Specifically, I had installed NU 5.0 on a brand new 16 MHz 386-SX w/ a
40 Mb HD, MSDOS 4.01, and AMI BIOS.  After I installed the disk cache
that came with NU, I developed weird problems on the hard drive.  When
I checked it out with NDD, it had FAT problems and lost clusters.  Once
fixed, everything was fine (i.e., no lost data! :-), but I was
suspicious enough to remove the cache program from the AUTOEXEC.BAT
file.  Was it just coincidence, or do I have reason to suspect NU's
cache?

--
 --Jeff Hartung--
 Disclaimer: My opinions only, etc., etc., BLAH! BLAH! BLAH!...

hartnegg@sun1.ruf.uni-freiburg.de (Klaus Hartnegg) (05/18/91)

hartung@crl.ucsd.edu (Jeff Hartung) writes:

>tim@zwaaney.uucp (Timothy De Zwaan) writes:
>Speaking of NU 5.0, I seem to recall that a certain utility in the
>package was supposedly associated with occasionally trashing the FAT on
>one's hard drive.  Do I recall correctly, or am I mistaken?
>Specifically, I had installed NU 5.0 on a brand new 16 MHz 386-SX w/ a
>40 Mb HD, MSDOS 4.01, and AMI BIOS.  After I installed the disk cache
>that came with NU, I developed weird problems on the hard drive.  When
>I checked it out with NDD, it had FAT problems and lost clusters.  Once
>fixed, everything was fine (i.e., no lost data! :-), but I was
>suspicious enough to remove the cache program from the AUTOEXEC.BAT
>file.  Was it just coincidence, or do I have reason to suspect NU's
>cache?

Yes there seems to be an error in NCACHE-F. If you have a relatively
small cache and have write caching enabled, write a file that is a bit
larger than your cache and access this file before it is actually
written to disk then the cache will sometimes write wrong data.

I reported this already four times to Norton. Got newer version
of the utilities but this still contains the error.

awhite@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Andrew J. White) (05/19/91)

In article <1991May17.181156.15742@sun1.ruf.uni-freiburg.de> hartnegg@sun1.ruf.uni-freiburg.de (Klaus Hartnegg) writes:
>hartung@crl.ucsd.edu (Jeff Hartung) writes:
>>tim@zwaaney.uucp (Timothy De Zwaan) writes:
>>package was supposedly associated with occasionally trashing the FAT on
>>one's hard drive.  Do I recall correctly, or am I mistaken?
>
>Yes there seems to be an error in NCACHE-F. If you have a relatively
>I reported this already four times to Norton. Got newer version
>of the utilities but this still contains the error.

The DISKTOOLs utility also trashes the FAT when using the MAKE A DISK
BOOTABLE option.  I had a 40mb IDE drive running MS-DOS 4.01, and
accidentally deleted COMMAND.COM from my root directory.  Instead
of just re-copying it, I let Norton do it.  To my chagrin, it lost
not only the FAT but the partition table as well.  NDD reported that
the disk was "physically damaged", but one it was re-low leveled and
partitioned, it worked fine.

 Andrew J. White    | U. of Pennsylvania    | awhite@eniac.seas.upenn.edu
 Comp. Science 1993 | School of Engineering | whiteaj@clutx.clarkson.edu