[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Telix

hv@uwasa.fi (Harri Valkama LAKE) (03/15/90)

In article <2156@crdos1.crd.ge.COM> davidsen@crdos1.crd.ge.com (bill davidsen) writes:

>  I have been getting requests for Telix ever since Keith listed it as
>an upload to simtel20. After about 50 requests, I managed to get into
>simtel20 on a weekend and pull the files. I thought people wanted the
>new version for bug fixes and features.
>
>  Since I posted part 1 I have gotten about 20 messages, many quite
>rude, telling me that I didn't review it. It's a communication program,
>what's to review? It's been discussed on the net, mentioned on TV,
>reviewed in some magazines, and I assumed that people knew what it was.

I dont' believe this?! People are crying for months because there
were no activity and no moderator in c.p.i.b and then when there
finally is they start to bashing him. Come on - if this is the
direction then we soon are in the situation that were before this
moderator started his job. Let's be polite for him. He has not an
easy job to do. And remember - he just started.

And Bill, don't give up - there are A LOT OF PEOPLE following
your actions and the list; so there are also MANY DIFFERENT
OPINIONS. Sending Telix was A VERY GOOD THING to do, but I think
that for example Procomm users can be "hurt" if they found that
there are other programs that are better...

--

	----------------Harri Valkama (hv@uwasa.fi)-------------
			University of Vaasa, Finland

nts0302@dsacg3.dsac.dla.mil (Bob Fisher) (03/15/90)

From article <2156@crdos1.crd.ge.COM>, by davidsen@crdos1.crd.ge.COM (Wm E Davidsen Jr):

|   Since I posted part 1 I have gotten about 20 messages, many quite
| rude, telling me that I didn't review it. It's a communication program,
| what's to review? It's been discussed on the net, mentioned on TV,
| reviewed in some magazines, and I assumed that people knew what it was.
|
|   I certainly don't mind polite suggestions on improving the group, but
| these were far from polite, and many of the suggestion had nothing to
| do with computers. It always amazes me to see people tell me that their
| time is too precious to waste downloading and looking at a readme (or
| asking a polite question), when they have time to write six screens of
| personal invective in reply to a posting.

Bill

I hope you can shrug off the childish outbursts of the Vocal Minority
and accept the thanks and appreciation of the rest of net users.

There is a point here, however.  Maybe you can put a short one-line
description or just catagorize as comm, game, utility, etc with each release.

--
Bob Fisher
US Defense Logistics Agency Systems Automation Center

hoffman@wrdso.ATT.DSO (Paul R Hoffman) (03/15/90)

>   I have been getting requests for Telix ever since Keith listed it as
> an upload to simtel20. After about 50 requests, I managed to get into
> simtel20 on a weekend and pull the files....<stuff deleted>
>   Since I posted part 1 I have gotten about 20 messages, many quite
> rude, telling me that I didn't review it. It's a communications<stuff deleted>
---^
> bill davidsen	(davidsen@crdos1.crd.GE.COM -or- uunet!crdgw1!crdos1!davidsen)
>             "Stupidity, like virtue, is its own reward" -me

Let em flame.  I downloaded it and tried it out last night...Looks great to
me and thanks for posting it. It certainly didn't take a great deal of effort
to figure it out and, as you said, it has been widely mentioned in the past.

(FYI those who don't know, it is *similar* in look to Procomm.)
Paul Russell Hoffman	UUCP/Email:  att!fswest!hoffman or  attmail!phoffman
/* Suck up to everyone, you never know who you're going to work for. */

mrh@camcon.co.uk (Mark Hughes) (03/15/90)

davidsen@crdos1.crd.ge.COM (Wm E Davidsen Jr) writes:

>  Since I posted part 1 I have gotten about 20 messages, many quite
>rude, telling me that I didn't review it. It's a communication program,
>what's to review? It's been discussed on the net, mentioned on TV,
>reviewed in some magazines, and I assumed that people knew what it was.

Well, you asked for it. All postings should contain a description, no
matter how well known you believe the program to be. Even "here's telex,
a communications program that's been discussed on the net, mentioned
on TV, and reviewed in some magazines" is better than nothing. :-)

--
 ----------------  Eml: mrh@camcon.co.uk or mrh@camcon.uucp
 ----------------  Tlx: 81481 (CCL G)        Cambridge, UK. (Me, an opinion?)

eichi@forty2.UUCP (Stefan Eichenberger) (03/16/90)

In article <1990Mar15.062734.7831@uwasa.fi> hv@uwasa.fi (Harri Valkama LAKE) writes:
>In article <2156@crdos1.crd.ge.COM> davidsen@crdos1.crd.ge.com (bill davidsen) writes:
[concerning countless postings of TELIX on comp.binaries.ibm.pc]

>>  Since I posted part 1 I have gotten about 20 messages, many quite
>>rude, telling me that I didn't review it. It's a communication program,
>>what's to review? It's been discussed on the net, mentioned on TV,
>>reviewed in some magazines, and I assumed that people knew what it was.
>
>I dont' believe this?! People are crying for months because there
>were no activity and no moderator in c.p.i.b and then when there
>finally is they start to bashing him. Come on - if this is the

Well, what's the moderators job then? There was the time, when comp.binaries.
ibm.pc was unmoderated, and almost closed down for it's volume. Now, we seem
to have a sort of an 'automated moderater' who has a script to get the biggest
files from Simtel and post them immediatly to the group without even
adding a line saying that it is a communication package. Does he really
expect me to load all the garbage down just to find out I don't have use to
it, because I don't need such a program at the moment?

What's the difference between completely uncommented postings and an un-
moderated news group with its high noise level? BTW., remember the good
reviews by Rahul?

UUCP:      ...mcvax!cernvax!forty2!eichi         Stefan Eichenberger
BITNET:    K807817@CZHRZU1A                      University of Zurich

person@plains.UUCP (Brett G. Person) (03/17/90)

Ya know, you could give some people the world on a silver platter and they'd
still complain.  So what if Bill didn't review it?  If you don't understand
what something is, ask!  Thats what the .d is for.

A note for Bill: Did you ever get the backlog from Rahul?
--
Brett G. Person
North Dakota State University

keithe@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM (Keith Ericson) (03/17/90)

What the heck is this unlabelled keyboard doing connected to my
computer, anyway?  And why doesn't someone come over here and type in
the right stuff for me so I don't have to look at it and figure out
which keys do what?  I mean, if you guys can't make it easy enough
for me to automatically get these programs - preferably without
making me have to type some weird commands on my keyboard - then
you're sure not dong a very good job with this news group.

So there, Ollie!

kEITHe

In article <1259@forty2.UUCP> eichi@forty2.UUCP (Stefan Eichenberger) writes:

| Well, what's the moderators job then? There was the time, when comp.binaries.
| ibm.pc was unmoderated, and almost closed down for it's volume. Now, we seem
| to have a sort of an 'automated moderater' who has a script to get the biggest
| files from Simtel and post them immediatly to the group without even
| adding a line saying that it is a communication package. Does he really
| expect me to load all the garbage down just to find out I don't have use to
| it, because I don't need such a program at the moment?

  The moderator's job is to provide a flow of generally useful software,
leavened with an occasional odd tidbit, such as hard to find stuff or
really nifty programs which only a part of the readership will use.

  WHen sixhub was down for three days while I was trying to add disk for
the archive service and anon uucp nothing went out. I grabbed telix out
of order and queued it because (a) a lot of people wanted it after Keith
mentioned it, (b) it had been described by keith very recently, and (c)
I had sent my weekend pulling hardware apart and restoring files, and
wanted something I could queue and walk away from.

| What's the difference between completely uncommented postings and an un-
| moderated news group with its high noise level? BTW., remember the good
| reviews by Rahul?

  Remember the long silence?
    sysop *IX BBS and Public Access UNIX
    moderator of comp.binaries.ibm.pc
"Getting old is bad, but it beats the hell out of the alternative" -anon

In article <3797@plains.UUCP> person@plains.UUCP (Brett G. Person) writes:

| Ya know, you could give some people the world on a silver platter and they'd
| still complain.  So what if Bill didn't review it?  If you don't understand
| what something is, ask!  Thats what the .d is for.

  Well, I didn't intend to send it out without saying it was a comm
package, but I did think Keith's note was about enough. And I'm amazed
at the people who have apologised for mail I thought was perfectly fine.
Someone who mentioned that the review was missing didn't offend me, it
took some serious personal insult to do that.

| A note for Bill: Did you ever get the backlog from Rahul?

  Consider the backlog gone. I don't have it and am not looking for it.
I am still looking for a complete list of all postings for vols 1-5, but
I regard the backlog as a dead issue. If something you sent to Rahul is
still topical, send it to me.

  I can handle most formats, but things which come in without any
indication of what they are get processed more slowly than things with a
paragraph (if the readers got upset about one posting without an intro,
think how I feel about 7-10 per week!), and anything packaged in a self
unpacking archive is treated like a time bomb, and unpacked on a special
machine dedicated to being (a) indestructable, (b) able to identify any
virus which comes in, and (c) easily restorable if I find a problem.

  If I can't identify the package as being public domain or shareware I
usually have to ask why it is available to be posted, unless you save me
the trouble and tell me.

  You don't have to write a lot. As a good example of covering the two
points, "This is whizz, a tetris-like game I wrote and release for
non-commercial use." Isn't that easy?

a563@mindlink.UUCP (Dave Kirsch) (03/18/90)

> ts writes:
>
> Msg-ID: <1990Mar19.093226.2171@uwasa.fi>
>
> Org.  : University of Vaasa
> Person: Timo Salmi LASK
> Telix' best features
> are its inbuilt z-modem, its user friendliness, and its fast script
> language.  But its host mode is not as good as eg that of Procomm,

Yes, the DEFAULT host is not as good as the one in PROCOMM, but there are
several different host modes written in SALT (Script Application Language for
Telix).  I've even seen one with FULL messaging!  Different message areas,
replys, a line editor, and other features.  They should be available on any
good IBM file board.

Dave Kirsch           UUCP: {uunet,ubc-cs}!van-bc!rsoft!mindlink!a563
Voice: (604) 327-4404       a563@mindlink.UUCP
                      Vancouver, British Columbia

hartung@amos.ucsd.edu.ling.ucsd.edu (Jeff Hartung) (03/19/90)

In article <1259@forty2.UUCP> eichi@forty2.UUCP (Stefan Eichenberger) writes:
>Well, what's the moderators job then? There was the time, when comp.binaries.
>ibm.pc was unmoderated, and almost closed down for it's volume. Now, we seem

[stuff deleted]

>What's the difference between completely uncommented postings and an un-
>moderated news group with its high noise level? BTW., remember the good
>reviews by Rahul?

Yes, there were BIG problems with unmoderated c.b.i.p, but when Rahul slowed
down, LOTS of people asked for a return to the (admittedly unworkable)
situation.  Rahul was suggesting, at the time, a RUSH category, where he
indicated that he had not had the time to properly review the software and had
only performed a virus check and repackaged the archive as a ZOO archive.
Many wanted this.

As far as your "What's the difference..." question is concerned, I can think
of a couple w/o trying very hard:

1. Virus scanning (Bill has said that this is a minimum requirement before he
   posts anything.

2. No multiple postings of the same program / unnecessary reposts.

3. No postings of "new" versions of a program that come out monthly w/ slight
   bugfixes or minimal changes.  I used to see this alot in the "bad old
   (unmoderated) days."

4. The programs actually work.

Granted, I think that we'd all like to see moderator commentary when possible,
and an indication that this is a popular communications package might have
been worth Bill's effort, but _most_ of us had heard Telix (a totally KILLER
program, IMHO) discussed before, and I cannot understand _anyone_ calling it a
waste of a download to find out what it was.  Do you download at 300 bps, or
what?

 --Jeff Hartung--
 Disclaimer: My opinions only, etc., etc., BLAH! BLAH! BLAH!...
 ARPA - hartung@amos.ucsd.edu          UUCP - ucsd!amos.ucsd.edu!hartung
 BITNET - hartung%amos.ucsd.edu@sds.sdsc.edu

wagner@unc.cs.unc.edu (Michael Wagner) (03/19/90)

After hearing something about Telix in this  newsgroup,
I downloaded a copy.  I like the vt102 emulation and the
ability to turn off the status line.  It might replace
Procomm as my comm program of choice-- for a lot of reasons
that aren't clear to me, Procomm doesn't seem to coexist
very well with vi.

I say "might" in the paragraph above because I can't get
Kermit downloads to work with Telix.  I tell the machine
I'm comminicating with (a VAX runnining 4.3 BSD)
	kermit -p e -i -s filename

and then hit <PageDn> and Telix waits forever for the
other side to send  a "Send_Init" string (that's what
the message on this end says), and then times out.  I
copied the Kermit parameters from the way I had Procomm
set up (incidentally, Kermit transfers work perfectly
under Procomm).  I did have ine question is "handshake
char" in Procommese the same as "packet begin char" in
Telixese?

Does anyone have any ideas?  I would really like to have
a communications program that supports a full vt102
emulation on an AT 101 keyboard (which Telix does), and
Kermit file transfer (which Procomm does).  So far I
haven't found one that does both.

Mike Wagner
wagner@dopey.cs.unc.edu
wagner@cahaba.med.unc.edu

sbarr@ic.sunysb.edu (Sanford L Barr) (03/19/90)

In article <12706@thorin.cs.unc.edu> wagner@unc.cs.unc.edu (Michael Wagner) writes:
>I say "might" in the paragraph above because I can't get
>Kermit downloads to work with Telix.  I tell the machine
>I'm comminicating with (a VAX runnining 4.3 BSD)
>	kermit -p e -i -s filename
>
>and then hit <PageDn> and Telix waits forever for the
>other side to send  a "Send_Init" string (that's what
>the message on this end says), and then times out.

I haven't been experiencing any problems with Kermit transfers on our
system (HP-UX (4.3BSD/SysV)) using the default Kermit setup:

A control quote  : 25
B padding char   : 0
C # padding chars: 0
D Packet size    : 94
E Start Packet   : 1
F End of Line    : 13
G Filetype	 : binary

--
::::::::::::::::: - Sanford L. Barr - ::::::::::::::::::::"Never argue with a
  ___-   ARPA: sbarr@libserv1.ic.sunysb.edu    _------  :: fool.  Most people

ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi LASK) (03/19/90)

In article <12706@thorin.cs.unc.edu> wagner@unc.cs.unc.edu (Michael Wagner) writes:
>After hearing something about Telix in this  newsgroup,
... deleted ...
>I say "might" in the paragraph above because I can't get
>Kermit downloads to work with Telix.  I tell the machine
... deleted ...
>Does anyone have any ideas?  I would really like to have

   It is difficult to pinpoint the problem because there are so many
variables to the equation, but these problems DO occur in some
configurations even if other users may experience no problems at
all.  Especially if the connection is through another machine and/or
a server such problems are more likely.  The answer is to experiment
with different settings.  Just to start with try the different
parieties and 7/8 bits even if there is no guarantee that this alone
will solve your problem.  One (almost) sure way of getting kermit
transfers to work is naturally using MsKermit terminal emulation.
Another thing which you might attempt (even if this sometimes also
involves serious problems) is using z-modem transfers.  Telix has it
inbuilt, and Unix end-of-things z-modem is available from ftp sites
such as Simtel20 and ours.
   Telix is a very useful program, but no communication program is
entirely free from problems.  The choice varies from purpose to
purpose, and from environment to environment.  Telix' best features
are its inbuilt z-modem, its user friendliness, and its fast script
language.  But its host mode is not as good as eg that of Procomm,
and it is not as robust and flexible in terminal emulation as eg
MsKermit.

   Quite another thing.  As for people castigating our moderator for
the Telix posting and sending rude messages to Bill.  Have some
manners and consideration, will you!  And put things in perspective.

Prof. Timo Salmi        (Moderating at anon. ftp site 128.214.12.3)

patth@sci.ccny.cuny.edu (Patt Haring) (03/19/90)

In article <12706@thorin.cs.unc.edu> wagner@unc.cs.unc.edu (Michael Wagner) writes:
>[deleted]
>I say "might" in the paragraph above because I can't get
>Kermit downloads to work with Telix.  I tell the machine
>I'm comminicating with (a VAX runnining 4.3 BSD)
>	kermit -p e -i -s filename
>
>and then hit <PageDn> and Telix waits forever for the
>Does anyone have any ideas?

I believe <PageDn> is the command

   ProCOMM

uses to receive files; if you are, indeed, using TELIX 3.12
then the command you want is

   Alt-R

then hit K for Kermit :-)

--
Patt Haring                       patth@sci.ccny.cuny.edu
"Truth is tough.  It will not break, like a bubble, at a touch.  Nay,

derek@carroll1.cc.edu (Derek Inksetter) (03/20/90)

:
:and then hit <PageDn> and Telix waits forever for the
:other side to send  a "Send_Init" string (that's what
:emulation on an AT 101 keyboard (which Telix does), and
:Kermit file transfer (which Procomm does).  So far I
:haven't found one that does both.
:
:Mike Wagner

	Have you given Kermit a thought?

	Kermit (3.0) does both vt102 and vt320 (which is backward
	compatible) excellently, and the keyboard is completely remappable,
	so you can have either a full vt102 keyboard or your own keyboard,
	whichever you want.  In addition, Kermit is free. (That's right,
	Free!)

	Needless to say, it does flawless Kermit transfers (w/ sliding
	windows, 2k blocks, etc.)

:wagner@dopey.cs.unc.edu
:wagner@cahaba.med.unc.edu

derek
--
.sig file _c_l_o_s_e_d _f_o_r _r_e_p_a_i_r_s--No thru traffic

thaler@shorty.cs.wisc.edu (Maurice Thaler) (03/20/90)

The clear answer is to get a copy of RZSZ (zmodem c src code) and
compile it on your BSD unix box. It is superior to Kermit and will
work nicely with Telix.
the code is available on simtel20

--
Maurice Thaler   SYSOP  Audio Projects BBS (608) 836-9473
                 SYSOP  Power Board    BBS (608) 222-8842

ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi LASK) (03/20/90)

In article <1335@mindlink.UUCP> a563@mindlink.UUCP (Dave Kirsch) writes:
>Yes, the DEFAULT host is not as good as the one in PROCOMM, but there are
>several different host modes written in SALT (Script Application Language for
>Telix).  I've even seen one with FULL messaging!  Different message areas,
>replys, a line editor, and other features.  They should be available on any
>good IBM file board.

Quite true.  And while at it why not follow up suggestions such as
this one.  I am sure that everyone would benefit if you (or anyone)
would list names of these packages, or better still upload to
chyde.uwasa.fi and/or Simtel20 in case they aren't already there.
Contributions in maintaining the anon ftp sites is solicited,
because this privilege should work both ways.  And if a utility is
good and appropriate enough, I am positive that Bill (Davidsen)
might also be interested.

Prof. Timo Salmi        (Moderating at anon. ftp site 128.214.12.3)

w8sdz@smoke.BRL.MIL (Keith Petersen) (03/21/90)

In article <1335@mindlink.UUCP> a563@mindlink.UUCP (Dave Kirsch) writes:
>Yes, the DEFAULT host is not as good as the one in PROCOMM, but there are
>several different host modes written in SALT (Script Application Language for
>Telix).  I've even seen one with FULL messaging!  Different message areas,
>replys, a line editor, and other features.  They should be available on any
>good IBM file board.

The improved host mode for Telix is on SIMTEL20:

Directory PD2:<MSDOS2.TELIX>
 Filename   Type Length   Date    Description
HOST41.ARC    B  103035  900303  Host 4.1, improved BBS Host mode for Telix 3.x
--
Keith Petersen
Maintainer of SIMTEL20's MSDOS, MISC, & CP/M archives [IP address 26.2.0.74]

"Arnold G. Gill" <GILLA@QUCDN.QueensU.CA> (03/21/90)

In article <21955@netnews.upenn.edu>, weisen@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Neil
Weisenfeld) says:

>A few of the previous articles have quickly suggested that people solve all
>of their problems by using Zmodem tranfers instead of Kermit.  As far as I
>know, Zmodem does *not* work on 7-bit networks.  I personally would *LOVE*
>to compile Zmodem on our VAX but it wouldn't do any good.  Sigh.
     Pardon me for asking, but what is wrong with your VAX???  Ours is running
ZMODEM with no problem, other than the fact that the dialout line is hardwired
so to make ZMODEM flakey at best.  A ZMODEM does exist for VAX/VMS systems.
Look around for it.
-------
 -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
|  Arnold Gill                        |                                     |
|  Queen's University at Kingston     |     If I hadn't wanted it heard,    |
|  BITNET   : gilla@qucdn             |       I wouldn't have said it.      |
|  X-400    : Arnold.Gill@QueensU.CA  |                                     |
|  INTERNET : gilla@qucdn.queensu.ca  |                                     |
 -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

weisen@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Neil Weisenfeld) (03/21/90)

A few of the previous articles have quickly suggested that people solve all
of their problems by using Zmodem tranfers instead of Kermit.  As far as I
know, Zmodem does *not* work on 7-bit networks.  I personally would *LOVE*
to compile Zmodem on our VAX but it wouldn't do any good.  Sigh.

Neil

| | Neil Weisenfeld              |  InterNet: weisen@eniac.seas.upenn.edu | |
|O| Univ. of Pennsylvania        |                                        |O|
| | Computer and Info Sciences   |  USPS:       3700 Spruce St. Box 572   | |
|O| Class of 1991                |              Philadelphia, PA  19104   |O|
| |                                                                       | |
|O| "It's so simple, maybe you need a refresher course!"                  |O|
| |             -If you don't know who said it, you don't deserve to.     | |

george@shumv1.uucp (George Browning) (03/21/90)

In article <21955@netnews.upenn.edu> weisen@eniac.seas.upenn.edu.UUCP (Neil Weisenfeld) writes:
>A few of the previous articles have quickly suggested that people solve all
>of their problems by using Zmodem tranfers instead of Kermit.  As far as I
>know, Zmodem does *not* work on 7-bit networks.  I personally would *LOVE*
>to compile Zmodem on our VAX but it wouldn't do any good.  Sigh.
>
>Neil

	I run zmodem with E71 a bunch and it seems to work perfectly.  I
use the unix program sz and rz (which are by Omen, I think I got them at
nasa.ames) and Telemate 2.00  Since everyone is talking about their
favorite terminal packages, I would like to put in a plug for Telemate.
It is simply the best I've ever used.  I tried telix, qmodem 4, procomm,
bt-powercomm, and professional Yamm.  None of these comes close to what
Telemate does.  Qmodem was real nice, but since zmodem wasn't built in
it was a pain.
	All of telemate multi-tasks.  It has a built in editor, file
viewer, and on line help.  It makes good use of the mouse, and the
keyboard controls make sense.  Since it all multi-tasks, you can edit or
view a file while downloading or uploading (this is really handy).  It
emulates a VT102 terminal, and I've had no problems running vi or any
other unix stuff with 'set term=vt100'  In addition it supports a slew
of protocols (with space for your own), and supports 25-50 line modes,
with many in between (I've never seen anything like it, 32 lines on
CGA).  There is a scipt langauge too that I haven't even started to play
with (it comes with a bunch of examples, including a host mode script).
	Telemate is the nicest piece of Shareware I've ever used or seen
(next to Fractint)...

                                          - Jeff
| George Browning                  North Carolina State University  |
| george@shumv1.ncsu.edu                               Raleigh, NC  |
|___________________________________________________________________|

wagner@matisse.cs.unc.edu (Michael Wagner) (03/22/90)

CBIP.Ders,

	Thanks for all the helpful messages in response
to my questions about Kermit and Telix.  I feel like
I'm probably taking the wimp way out, but one local
poster let me ftp a copy of Columbia MSKERMIT 3.00,
and that looks fine for now.  I'm a comp sci student,
and all I ever do is log into one system and
occasionally transfer files.  MSKERMIT seems to live
peacefully with vi and does fine file transfers.
	Telix still seems pretty neat, and I may get
around to trying some of the suggested remedies *after*
this semester is over.
	Thanks again for your help.

Mike Wagner
wagner@dopey.cd.unc.edu
wagner@cahaba.med.unc.edu

jmerrill@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Confusion Reigns) (03/22/90)

In article <21955@netnews.upenn.edu> weisen@eniac.seas.upenn.edu.UUCP (Neil Weisenfeld) writes:
>A few of the previous articles have quickly suggested that people solve all
>of their problems by using Zmodem tranfers instead of Kermit.  As far as I
>know, Zmodem does *not* work on 7-bit networks.  I personally would *LOVE*
>to compile Zmodem on our VAX but it wouldn't do any good.  Sigh.

As of the January 1990 release of DSZ/ZCOMM/PRO-YAM, Zmodem *does* work on
7-bit lines.  It now uses an 8th-bit quoting system similar to, but
apparently more efficient than, Kermit's.  Unfortunately, Omen Technologies,
in its dubious wisdom, stopped releasing the source code for the RZ and SZ
programs after the May 1989 version.  It is now only available in the
"Zmodem Developer's Collection", which costs $89.  Or perhaps they just
haven't written a new version...Would someone on Compu$erve ask them?

--
Jason Merrill				jmerrill@jarthur.claremont.edu
DISCLAIMER:  Bork!  Bork!  Bork!

bolte@exunido.uucp (Dirk Bolte) (05/31/90)

In article <PgowJ2w162w@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us> mju@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us (Marc Unangst) writes:

>(Of course, one wonders why you would even want to use Procomm when
>there exists a superior program, Telix, but we're not discussing
>that now.)
>
>--
>Marc Unangst

Hello guys.

Since now I'm only working with PROCOMM, but everyone talks about the
*superior* TELIX.

Would anyone be so kind to mail me, where I can get a copy of it?
Or post a copy via e-mail.

Thanks in advance.

Dirk.

skesterk@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu (Shane Kesterke) (05/20/91)

Anyone out there use the terminal program Telix? I just recently went
from Procomm to Telix but I can't seem to get Telix put my modem into
dial mode. I have a Zoom Hayes compatable. I checked the dial-up
parameters and it uses the prefix ATDT and the suffix ^M.
What's wrong with the configuration?

Thanks for any help out there!