[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Macintosh Disk -> MSDOS

gt4719b@prism.gatech.EDU (Dave) (05/17/91)

I need to convert some Macintosh disks to MSDOS format.  I know that You can
use the program "Apple File Exchange" to convert from Apple to MSDOS, but
is there any way to do it on a PC?

If there is, where can I get the program?

If not, is it possible?  Does anyone have the format for a Mac disk?

If it is not possible, why is it not?

Please help me.  I am willing to write a converter and post it to c.b.i.p.

Please direct all replies to email ==> gt4719b@prism.gatech.edu

Thanks,

Dave
--
David Frascone

Internet: gt4719b@prism.gatech.edu

ekalenda@cup.portal.com (Edward John Kalenda) (05/18/91)

>I need to convert some Macintosh disks to MSDOS format.  I know that You can
>use the program "Apple File Exchange" to convert from Apple to MSDOS, but
>is there any way to do it on a PC?

It is not possible to do this with standard PC hardware. The problem is
that the Mac uses different spin rates for each track of the disk. This
is done so the magnetic flux density in any track is the same, resulting
in consistant recording quality. In other words, the magnetic media passes
under the head at the same linear speed in all tracks.

This gives many sectors per track on the outside and few on the inside.
There is a product (I can't remember the name) that replaces your normal
controller and allows Mac floppy drives to be connected to the PC. With
the included software you can read/write Mac, Apple ][, and Apple ][GS
disk formats. Try looking in some of the Apple related magazines.

Ed
ekalenda@cup.portal.com

f18@clark.edu (Torry V Schreiner) (05/18/91)

Try Central Point's Option Board Deluxe.  It's a little spendy (about $150).
A hardware solution is the only way.

bparekh@bonnie.ics.uci.edu (Behram Parekh) (05/20/91)

In article <42439@cup.portal.com> ekalenda@cup.portal.com (Edward John Kalenda) writes:
>>I need to convert some Macintosh disks to MSDOS format.  I know that You can
>>use the program "Apple File Exchange" to convert from Apple to MSDOS, but
>>is there any way to do it on a PC?
>
>It is not possible to do this with standard PC hardware.

Central Point Software makes a version of their CopyIIPc option board
called the "deluxe option board" that allows you to read and write
Mac floppies on your IBM 720K or 1.44 meg drive. I have one, and it
works like a charm most of the time, once in a while you get an
error in writing (the Mac can't read the diskfile) but, the
PC always can, so just recopying the file works ok.

Behram
--
Behram Parekh                                bparekh@ics.uci.edu
Disclaimer: UCI ICS has no idea what I'm talking about, but then

johnsonm@grendel1.acc.stolaf.edu (Michael K. Johnson) (05/21/91)

The enhancement board for Copy II PC, from Central Point Software, is
really a second controler board that will make your floppy drive read
and write mac and appple ii, etc. filesystems.  Call any good
software house for more information, like pricing.

hope this helps:-)

michaelkjohnson
(johnsonm@stolaf.edu)

| If *I* had a message for the world, I would write a book about it.        |
| email:johnsonm@stolaf.edu             Phone:507/663-2282                  |